Scott Shafer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer

The reas0n so many are confused is that he left a six figure job (I assume Maryland D Coordinator pays that much) to follow his son and be a father that can watch his son play week in and week out.

I appreciate it but also realize that the coaching profession is finite and understand that he may not get the same type of job and salary that comes with it after he is done watching his son.

I hope he was able to save enough to be able to do such a thing. He has been at a number of schools (Michigan, Stanford, Syracuse) such that he has enough financial stability to do such. But leaving such a job is not congruent with most others that is normal.

Most others in his position would continue to make as much money as possible as long as he could until the water runs dry. That is why people wonder if he has an issue.
Some of us have walked away from lucrative careers because family was more important. It isn't all about money.

Again, not questioning the wisdom or need for the season off, just Adams comments

The reas0n so many are confused is that he left a six figure job (I assume Maryland D Coordinator pays that much) to follow his son and be a father that can watch his son play week in and week out.

I appreciate it but also realize that the coaching profession is finite and understand that he may not get the same type of job and salary that comes with it after he is done watching his son.

I hope he was able to save enough to be able to do such a thing. He has been at a number of schools (Michigan, Stanford, Syracuse) such that he has enough financial stability to do such. But leaving such a job is not congruent with most others that is normal.

Most others in his position would continue to make as much money as possible as long as he could until the water runs dry. That is why people wonder if he has an issue.

Perhaps the issue is as simple as the fact that FHCSS lost his own father to a heart attack at a relatively young age. From what I have read Shafer had a very close relationship with his Dad, who was also a football coach. Not saying SS has a current health issue, but if heart disease runs in the family -- and knowing what a high stress profession coaching football at the P5 level is -- it makes some sense that he decided to ease back and enjoy his family while he can.

I wish Coach Lock 'em up all the best in his future endeavors.
However, taking the Maryland job as quickly as he did and then leaving it to spend time with his family doesn't make sense. He should have never taken the Maryland job if he wanted to rightfully spend time with his family. Obviously I think he will get another job coaching football in the future but it might be now as a position coach at high college or DC at a lower level without as much a salary. I hope he recharges his batteries this year and gets back into the game at a non-SU competitor.

Adam's quote was not the brightest. Lawyers/Doctors/Pilots/lots of jobs require working tons of hours and spending a lot of time away from home not just coaches. Especially when coaches do have dead periods in the offseason. Really the only guaranteed missed games are if the kids play college football and your a coach as well by that time you have seen some of their HS games.
I don't think he wants any part in coaching at the power conference level again.

I don't think he wants any part in coaching at the power conference level again.
If that is case then I hope he gets a DII or DIII job and crushes it. He is a good man and tried his best but it was tough in the P5 without the recruiting base for our program.

I'm pretty confident he'll be back coaching at a P5 school again in the not so distant future.

I think this was more about some personal issues and watching Wolf play a little ball before he gets into coaching. SS has not had the opportunity to watch that many of his sons' games.

I put it in the same category as Mali opting to go to the NBA: we don't have all the facts and if we did, it would still be none of our business.

Wish him and his all the best.

I do, too, but with a different takeaway:

Quality of life is much more important than wringing every last dollar out of our abilities.

Good for Shafer, I hope he's enjoying this change of pace.

I put it in the same category as Mali opting to go to the NBA: we don't have all the facts and if we did, it would still be none of our business.

Wish him and his all the best.

I disagree with this to the extent that it actually is the specific business of a sports message board to be so invested in our teams that we do care about things like this. I mean seriously, no one is saying anything insensitive. It's merely a question of why would one take a pretty good, pretty lucrative gig at UMD then quit almost as soon as it begins despite supposedly having a great relationship with the boss. It's strange especially in an industry that preaches commitment and work ethic and eating, sleeping and breathing football. I mean, the dude's motto was 'hard-nosed' for cripe's sake and he's taking time to just hang with the fam?

I don't know -- I applaud him if that's what he wanted to do. Being a football coach seems like a miserable existence to me. And I wish him nothing but success and still consider him to be easily the best defensive coordinator I can remember in my time as a cuse fan.

But at the end of the day it's an odd turn of events.

I disagree with this to the extent that it actually is the specific business of a sports message board to be so invested in our teams that we do care about things like this. I mean seriously, no one is saying anything insensitive. It's merely a question of why would one take a pretty good, pretty lucrative gig at UMD then quit almost as soon as it begins despite supposedly having a great relationship with the boss. It's strange especially in an industry that preaches commitment and work ethic and eating, sleeping and breathing football. I mean, the dude's motto was 'hard-nosed' for cripe's sake and he's taking time to just hang with the fam?

I don't know -- I applaud him if that's what he wanted to do. Being a football coach seems like a miserable existence to me. And I wish him nothing but success and still consider him to be easily the best defensive coordinator I can remember in my time as a cuse fan.

But at the end of the day it's an odd turn of events.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the situation, I do wonder if SS took that gig out of pride. It sucks being fired and I can only imagine there's a deep reservoir of "I'll show them" fueling when a coach immediately takes on a new job. He seems like a thoughtful guy though, and perhaps afterwards he realized that some time off is for the best.

billsin01 said:
I disagree with this to the extent that it actually is the specific business of a sports message board to be so invested in our teams that we do care about things like this. I mean seriously, no one is saying anything insensitive. It's merely a question of why would one take a pretty good, pretty lucrative gig at UMD then quit almost as soon as it begins despite supposedly having a great relationship with the boss. It's strange especially in an industry that preaches commitment and work ethic and eating, sleeping and breathing football. I mean, the dude's motto was 'hard-nosed' for cripe's sake and he's taking time to just hang with the fam? I don't know -- I applaud him if that's what he wanted to do. Being a football coach seems like a miserable existence to me. And I wish him nothing but success and still consider him to be easily the best defensive coordinator I can remember in my time as a cuse fan. But at the end of the day it's an odd turn of events.

I think it's fine wondering what happened. I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed. I'm guessing since he's not said anything publicly that he wishes that it remain private.

So, it's kind of in a stalemate right now. We might never find out, or he might turn up next cycle and do a presser.

I think it's fine wondering what happened. I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed. I'm guessing since he's not said anything publicly that he wishes that it remain private.

So, it's kind of in a stalemate right now. We might never find out, or he might turn up next cycle and do a presser.
i am a believer in privacy. if he chooses to go public that becomes fair game. until then, ......

Some of us have walked away from lucrative careers because family was more important. It isn't all about money.

It's a lot easier to walk away from that career if you'd been paid in the millions for the years previous. As long as he wasn't an idiot with his money, I think he'll be fine. Especially since I'm sure he'll have another job in coaching that can more than adequately pay the bills whenever he wants to come back.

My post was not a shot at Shafer at all. I liked him as a person and as a DC. I wanted to see him succeed as our HC and I still wish him the best and all the success he wants in life.

I think his taking the year (or however long he chooses to take) is actually a fruit of his success that people such as myself can't afford, so relax on how tough he's had it as a Div.1 football coach. I'm sitting in my office on a Saturday morning preparing for a week long business trip away from my family as I type this and I have another similarly eventful week after that. It happens to the rest of us more than you might think.

My post was only to point out the silly quote from Coach Joe Adam. Does Joe Adam really think football coaches are the only ones with this hardship? As I mentioned here, I don't think that's the case and I don't think many will cry for Shafer or Joe. If I thought it was anything more than a dumb or poorly thought out statement, I might be offended.

Shafer has my respect and even some jealousy for what he's doing. He doesn't need Joe Adam beating the drum about the hardships of a professional coaching career and coming off so completely disconnected as he did.
I know what your saying, I've worked my share of weekends, afternoon shifts, and over night shifts. It's a rare occurance that I speak up for a millionaire. All I was pointing out is that few jobs line up so that the schedule is exactly the same as your kid's activities. A football coach with a son that plays football is pretty much that. I think the main mistake Adams made was the way he worded his response. If any of us were interviewed as often as these guys, we'd do the same thing from time to time.

Is spending time with the family the real reason here? Anyone in the know? The man is a coaching junkie in the prime if his career, kids practically grown with an empty nest right around the corner. Hopefully, that is the only reason, but its fishy. Love the man.

Is spending time with the family the real reason here? Anyone in the know? The man is a coaching junkie in the prime if his career, kids practically grown with an empty nest right around the corner. Hopefully, that is the only reason, but its fishy. Love the man.
I don't think there's anything 'fishy' about it. Man gets a chance to watch/help his son play CFB, has enough cash in the bank to do so. Gets to take life easy before getting back into the grind. Two birds, one stone. As someone earlier in this thread said, he probably took the MD job as soon as it was offered, and after some reflection, decided to do some things that really matter. Makes sense. :noidea:

I don't think there's anything 'fishy' about it. Man gets a chance to watch/help his son play CFB, has enough cash in the bank to do so. Gets to take life easy before getting back into the grind. Two birds, one stone. As someone earlier in this thread said, he probably took the MD job as soon as it was offered, and after some reflection, decided to do some things that really matter. Makes sense. :noidea:

Agreed, it does make sense. I just know he loves the game and teaching it. I hope that is the real reason. I love dino, but will miss shaf:)

Theres nothing fishy at all. Trust me on this one.

I'd love to see the Bombers contend for a national title again. From 1974-1991 they were in the title game 7 times and won three.

I expect to see him on the Michigan staff next year

I can stomach that over the Twerps. Ever since randy became associated with that program they became Rutgers south in my eyes. Go Shafer!