Scott Shafer | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer

Yup. He was likable. And his system worked in the Big East. But it got steamrolled in the ACC. And he won 13 out of 37 games he coached, with the team obviously regressing. So why do we love him so much? Because he had no filter and was mostly nice?

I'm not going to be the one to turn this thread into a discussion of Shafer's pro/cons.
Just surprised by the comment. I don't agree with you on this but that's obviously ok.

Yup. He was likable. And his system worked in the Big East. But it got steamrolled in the ACC. And he won 13 out of 37 games he coached, with the team obviously regressing. So why do we love him so much? Because he had no filter and was mostly nice?

Because he is a capable DC. He wasn't a good HC but he will be fine DC at another program.

He was a solid DC but he didn't bring in elite recruits and wasn't a great HC.
I have no problem saying he is liked here because he was blue collar, liked the Syracuse area, and he was nice to local HS coaches.
I am sure he is a nice guy but he isn't this HOF DC that Syracuse has to have. He has loyal portion of the fanbase who loves him unequivocally.
I think he did a solid job under Marrone but he wasn't anything special. I don't think his attacking D worked in the last 2 years here.

Because he is a capable DC. He wasn't a good HC but he will be fine DC at another program.
For me, he is a very good DC and an outstanding person.
Not disagreeing that his defenses from 2009 to 2012 were good and that he was a nice guy. My question isn't really about Shafer. My question is why putting a decent product on the field a couple of times and being nice makes people defend someone so much.

Fwiw I saw a tweet that said Shafer had also been in the discussion for the DC at Oregon.
This would make sense - The Harbaugh connections for both Taggert and Shafer make it seem like a good fit.

Taggert hired the Colorado DC Jim Leavitt as his Oregon DC.

He was a solid DC but he didn't bring in elite recruits and wasn't a great HC.
I have no problem saying he is liked here because he was blue collar, liked the Syracuse area, and he was nice to local HS coaches.
I am sure he is a nice guy but he isn't this HOF DC that Syracuse has to have. He has loyal portion of the fanbase who loves him unequivocally.
I think he did a solid job under Marrone but he wasn't anything special. I don't think his attacking D worked in the last 2 years here.

Other big programs disagree that his defenses weren't special. When teams in the Big 10, ACC etc want you to be their DC , they are seeing something they like. Don't have to denigrate Shafer to appreciate Baber and his positives, nor to discuss any areas that need improvement. Shafer's major issues were on offense not defense.

NCAA's "Total Defense" Final Rankings for SU from their website out of 120+ programs.
2011 - #7
2012 - #64
2013 - #48
2014 - #33
2015- #26
2016 - #98

Other big programs disagree that his defenses weren't special. When teams in the Big 10, ACC etc want you to be their DC , they are seeing something they like. Don't have to denigrate Shafer to appreciate Baber and his positives, nor to discuss any areas that need improvement. Shafer's major issues were on offense not defense.

NCAA's "Total Defense" Final Rankings for SU from their website out of 120+ programs.
2011 - #7
2012 - #64
2013 - #48
2014 - #33
2015- #26
2016 - #98
Listen he was solid but these diehards make him out to be better than I think he was. I don't get offended if you or others feel differently.
I could make points to counter the total defense stat. Our #7 D in 2011 couldn't stop Kansas State which was a 7-5 Big XII team but the stats say it was top 10. That team couldn't stop 6-6 Washington either.
When you play Akron, Colgate, Maine and a Big East schedule it inflates your stats.
My frustration is Scott Shafer's hiring as HC set us back from the progress made under Marrone. People still think he got a raw deal when his hiring set us back.

Listen he was solid but these diehards make him out to be better than I think he was. I don't get offended if you or others feel differently.
I could make points to counter the total defense stat. Our #7 D in 2011 couldn't stop Kansas State which was a 7-5 Big XII team but the stats say it was top 10. That team couldn't stop 6-6 Washington either.
When you play Akron, Colgate, Maine and a Big East schedule it inflates your stats.
My frustration is Scott Shafer's hiring as HC set us back from the progress made under Marrone. People still think he got a raw deal when his hiring set us back.

Consider that his defenses got little help from the offense, except in 2012. Everybody plays teams like Akron, Colgate and Maine. He had good defenses when he had veteran players, especially in the line.

Most of the time when I see people come out and support Shafer it's after someone else has bashed Shafer. Usually I find it's not the other way around. I don't think it's a love fest as some have suggested.

Consider that his defenses got little help from the offense, except in 2012. Everybody plays teams like Akron, Colgate and Maine. He had good defenses when he had veteran players, especially in the line.
After the last message I won't continue this but my point is no way was that 2010 D a legit top 10 D.
It was a product of the soft schedule which was made up of 2 IAA a terrible Mac team and it got lit up in the other two nonconference games against power five competition

He propped up Marrone/Hackett for 3 years. Our offense was pretty bad until 2012.

The Big East went 4-2 in bowl games at the end of the 2010 season including the Meineke Car Care Bowl where South Florida defeated Clemson. I'm not saying the SU defense was actually #7 because I would almost never say that the total offense or total defense rankings are completely accurate. They are not and that is always true every year because of the differences in scheduling and other factors as well. But people always refer to those rankings especially on this board.

It is interesting to me that at the end of the 2010 season the Big East actually outperformed the ACC in bowl games- the ACC was 4-5 in bowl games. The point is that the BE wasn't too shabby in 2010, and that SU defense was really good especially when you consider how poorly the SU offense performed.