Season Opener against Rhode Island moved to Fri Sept 4. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Season Opener against Rhode Island moved to Fri Sept 4.

i would bet the percentage of tvs actually being used that are smart tvs is pretty small
I would disagree with that. I think more and more people are buying SmartTv's and have the ability to stream on their sets. And if people don't have a SmarTV they have either a PS4/XBOX One, AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast, or something where you can stream on your "dumb" TV and get E3 on it very very easily. I think the vast majority of American's these days can stream on their TV very easily, whether they own a smart TV or not.

Obviously not everyone and there are exceptions to the rule, but I wouldn't put the percentage at very small. Maybe its very small among the age demo of "older America" and the 50 and up crowd, but I think middle aged to younger couples all stream on their TV's these days!!

I would disagree with that. I think more and more people are buying SmartTv's and have the ability to stream on their sets. And if people don't have a SmarTV they have either a PS4/XBOX One, AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast, or something where you can stream on your "dumb" TV and get E3 on it very very easily. I think the vast majority of American's these days can stream on their TV very easily, whether they own a smart TV or not.

Obviously not everyone and there are exceptions to the rule, but I wouldn't put the percentage at very small. Maybe its very small among the age demo of "older America" and the 50 and up crowd, but I think middle aged to younger couples all stream on their TV's these days!!
i highly doubt that half of americans have any of that hardware or a smart tv that is actually set up to be smart. i would put it at 20%, at most (best guess 10%). i don't have any good data on it though

Smart is waiting for the young "it's new tech I gotta have it" crew to buy it, let the companies work out the bugs so down the road based on their complaints, we can buy a better product for half the price while we make the most of our last "decent priced working well" tech buy . :cool:. I for one appreciate the sacrifice these young tech lovers make on our behalf.

i highly doubt that half of americans have any of that hardware or a smart tv that is actually set up to be smart. i would put it at 20%, at most (best guess 10%). i don't have any good data on it though
I think your numbers are way way off. Honestly I do. Many people have gone away from cable and gone to these devices to save money monthly

Millhouse said:

50% of American homes have some kind of device that allows them to stream to a TV: Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Fire TV, XBox, PS3/PS4, Wii, Smart TV, etc.

It's true.

Bet you don't live in Pa, NJ, Mass or Conn either. And don't like a crowded 4 hour tailgate either.
Plenty of time to take the day or even 1/2 a day off.

Never underestimate people's hatred of their cable box and/or the bill that comes with it. Or the iPad as a disruption. We went to one TV with an Apple TV and PS3. Got rid of the TV in the bedroom and use the iPad. Better in most every way.

Never underestimate people's hatred of their cable box and/or the bill that comes with it. Or the iPad as a disruption. We went to one TV with an Apple TV and PS3. Got rid of the TV in the bedroom and use the iPad. Better in most every way.
i can understand no tv in the bedroom, but i am having a hard time understanding an ipad in place of a tv.

thats got to be so Fn annoying. what are you doing? holding on to it?? do you use a stand and put it where the tv was? cant be...

doesnt it suck to go from a whatever size tv to a 12" viewing piece??

or do you mean you just use the ipad to read and go to bed.

Kaiser...I'm cutting TimeWarner off at the end of my billing cycle...I'll let you know how I survive.

I plan to do Wireless Internet, Roku3, Amazon Prime and ESPN3 thru my Internet. I think I'll have to get Dish's Sling thingie.. I'm paying like $180 a month and want to cut that in half at least.

KaiserUEO said:
i can understand no tv in the bedroom, but i am having a hard time understanding an ipad in place of a tv. thats got to be so Fn annoying. what are you doing? holding on to it?? do you use a stand and put it where the tv was? cant be... doesnt it suck to go from a whatever size tv to a 12" viewing piece?? or do you mean you just use the ipad to read and go to bed.

Yeah - should have explained better. Mrs.Cusian never watches TV in bed. So having one was annoying to her - noise, light, etc. I sit in bed with headphones, laying down with it propped on my chest.

As for viewing size? Having the iPad 10 inches away is more screen than a 40inch 12ft away.

TexanMark said:
Kaiser...I'm cutting TimeWarner off at the end of my billing cycle...I'll let you know how I survive. I plan to do Wireless Internet, Roku3, Amazon Prime and ESPN3 thru my Internet. I think I'll have to get Dish's Sling thingie.. I'm paying like $180 a month and want to cut that in half at least.

I'm doing the same.

Sling TV, Netflix, and digital antennae (plus Internet) cuts the bill by a $100. I may add HBO.

My kids and wife watch Netflix (and YouTube) almost exclusively. It's hard to justify cable for just live sports - esp now with Sling.

I'm doing the same.

Sling TV, Netflix, and digital antennae (plus Internet) cuts the bill by a $100. I may add HBO.

My kids and wife watch Netflix (and YouTube) almost exclusively. It's hard to justify cable for just live sports - esp now with Sling.
Yeah forgot to add that I added an antenna to get OTA broadcasts.

www.solidsignal.com this is one of the best places for TV antennas, etc... they have daily specials.

Their deals of the day sometimes have some really great buys http://www.solidsignal.com/Deal-Of-The-Day.asp

I bought this for my bedroom for $15 + shipping ...it gets all the channels (about 20 miles from the towers)
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDBLADE100VCA-6FT

I expect anything past 25-30 miles is pushing your luck.

Kaiser...I'm cutting TimeWarner off at the end of my billing cycle...I'll let you know how I survive.

I plan to do Wireless Internet, Roku3, Amazon Prime and ESPN3 thru my Internet. I think I'll have to get Dish's Sling thingie.. I'm paying like $180 a month and want to cut that in half at least.
thats not my question, granted i think people who dont want 1000 channels are weird, but in this fact finding excersise im trying to figure out why people want to watch tv on the smallest of screens possible.

KaiserUEO said:
thats not my question, granted i think people who dont want 1000 channels are weird, but in this fact finding excersise im trying to figure out why people want to watch tv on the smallest of screens possible.

If the screen is arm lengths away it's comparable to a giant flatscreen. And crisper.

For me 42 inches right now is okay...I see maybe getting up to 55" someday...room size is key...I'm trying to stay somewhat minimalist now as I have been downsizing the last 2-3 years. Yes, it takes a few years to downsize LOL

bullspit
try doing this while holding an ipad
wM8QkBwlSBKhDVqcGOJz_AlBundy1.jpg

I just got a bill from time warner that mine is going up ten bucks to $235. If they can't get it down to $150, i'm out of there. I'm paying for so much crap i never use.

bullspit

55-6419-hdtv.png

Your HD TV has a pixel density of 40-50 ppi. The iPad is 264 ppi. It needs to be denser because it's closer to your face (ie. you can see the pixels). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make a TV with the pixel density of an iPad - because it's viewed farther away. It doesn't need to be sharper. No ones eyesight is that good.

The difference is how much of your view the screen takes up. An iPad at 10in away takes up more of your view than a 40in tv at 10ft - i.e. it appears bigger. And most cable companies don't deliver true HD (compressed). So an iPad is bigger and as crisp if not crisper than a tv with cable. Science!

55-6419-hdtv.png

Your HD TV has a pixel density of 40-50 ppi. The iPad is 264 ppi. It needs to be denser because it's closer to your face (ie. you can see the pixels). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make a TV with the pixel density of an iPad - because it's viewed farther away. It doesn't need to be sharper. No ones eyesight is that good.

The difference is how much of your view the screen takes up. An iPad at 10in away takes up more of your view than a 40in tv at 10ft - i.e. it appears bigger. And most cable companies don't deliver true HD (compressed). So an iPad is bigger and as crisp if not crisper than a tv with cable. Science!
screw science.

why does your viewing need to be so sharp? can you really tell the difference between the 2??

ive watched athletic events and & tv shows both on big tvs and on ipads, 1 way sucks to do so.

1 way im either holding onto the viewing device or bent over a table a staring at it.

in both instances im trading comfort for being able to watch...thats why we all hate e3.

its not comfortable viewing.

why someone would choose to view things that way on a permanent basis is absolutley mind boggling.

and what about the sound? are you listening with earbuds??

ree-donkulous

KaiserUEO said:
screw science. why does your viewing need to be so sharp? can you really tell the difference between the 2?? ive watched athletic events and & tv shows both on big tvs and on ipads, 1 way sucks to do so. 1 way im either holding onto the viewing device or bent over a table a staring at it. in both instances im trading comfort for being able to watch...thats why we all hate e3. its not comfortable viewing. why someone would choose to view things that way on a permanent basis is absolutley mind boggling. and what about the sound? are you listening with earbuds?? ree-donkulous

It works for me laying in bed with earbuds. It's bigger, crisper, and doesn't bug my wife.

If it doesn't work for you, that's cool. But the science is the science.

It works for me laying in bed with earbuds. It's bigger, crisper, and doesn't bug my wife.

If it doesn't work for you, that's cool. But the science is the science.
what you do makes sense, watching stuff for the hour or so before bed, using earbuds, not having a tv in the room, etc...its not for me, but makes sense.

doing that full time?? is looney tunes.

the science however, makes no sense. telling me that watching a 12" ipad is better than a 2015 55" HD flatscreen, Bose home theatre through FIOS is ludicrous. what needs to be crisper than what we have now?? i dont get it.

as far as my man with the pots and pans cable hook up, mark goes..all the more power to ya.

steal that cable streaming off a boat in the atlantic, hook up those coat wires held together with duct tape and mouse traps, use the remnants of a solar flare in 1976 to power up a toaster to keep it all the right temperature, minimize the wires and not let your house burn down. that 'science' aint for me either.

:crazy: :noidea: :eek:

Oh Lord