Seasons Change | Syracusefan.com

Seasons Change

WoodyUK

Lax Maven
Hi Guys this is my first post on here thanks for letting me on the forum!, im a long time Cuse fan from across the pond!

The 2012 season is approaching fast, im sure everyone is excited (as I am) to see the new Cuse, the 2012 version of HHH, the captains will be doing everything they can to get the team ready and im sure if you sat down with Desko today he would think that this team can fly under the radar and take baby steps to glory, I don't think he sees any blow outs in the early season in his Orange crystal ball and when you're playing the toughest Schedule in the nation who can blame him, Cuse go after the best teams in the NCAA has to offer and I think this years schedule is the toughest ever, with past rivalries, ACC giants and even a Big east tourney to contend with.....in Nova!!!

The key battles I see are in the Goal at D and the Midfield im sure there are quite a few fans that can list 5 names that will fill the attack spots - Maltz (the new Keogh), Palasek and Timmy Desko, Donahue, Ward, DeJohn & Rice, I don't see JoJo playing at all in Attack unless they see a match up they like.

The Goal - I know we have 7 goalies up at Manley but as Lerman said in his Media Day interview there are only two goals at practice and for the majority of time I think Lerman and Wardwell are stood between the pipes, I likes the way Lerman spoke in his interview he has obviously learnt a lot for Galloway and has bided his time on the bench for this year and I wish him all the best, im sure the competition for places is healthy for these guys but with Lerman experience I think he tales the nod in front of Under Armour MVP Wardwell, its not often a freshman steps right in as it takes time to lead the Defence learn the schemes and Coaching style.

The Defence is the exciting part of this riddle Megill is a shoe in and id say if Lelan Rogers used Hamlin as the 4th D man last year (I was impressed with his poise and aggressive checking) he gets the nod, the 3rd man is the puzzle with Carey, Fazio, Mullins and Harris the front runners!

I think you will see USA U19 player D'Agostino who sounds like a great athlete and competitor and may be the new Joe Ceglia and the raw Athlete Mullins filling this role, they like to throw a freshman in at this position and I think these two will fill this gap for years to come.

SSDM will be Drew and J-Moore no doubt who both did an amazing job last year......and I thought the loss of Harder would hurt is but we have really re-loaded here with Grimm and Messina backing up.

The midfield is just a case of filling in the gaps - they are high on a number of players in the midfield spot and I think it just becomes competition for places in the first 3 midfield lines and I think you will see the lines change a lot of the first few weeks - Lecky, JoJo, Loy, Ianzito, Eilers, Schoonmaker, Commetti and Pratt. My question here is can a player that had a bright outlook coming out of high school step up like Coleman or Barber? they have the talent but I just don't think they have realised the clock is ticking on their Orange career!

Face off - Daddio and Buhr where a great one two punch last year and really improved over the year and there improvement meant Thompson could play a little more offence towards the end of the year.

All in all it looks like an exciting year to watch Cuse reload, I loved watching Galloway and white etc do their thing but love years where you haven't seen some of the starters and its a fresh look at the new stars! Good luck to everyone involved in the team and also to the best fans in the land, it should be an exciting year, Hakeem and JoJo dodging and another year of Timmy Desko's circus shots and im looking forward to seeing future All Americans - Harris, Mullins and D'Agostino on D and a new Goal keeper! HHH

Who are you guys looking forward to seeing this year, who do you think will surprise us Ward? Mullins, Coleman? where do you think we end up!

Glad you made it!

Agree that the cage is Lerman's job to lose, but it's nice to have Wardwell ready to step in.

During the Fall game, Joe Moore was getting some run at LSM.

Maltz will turn some heads. :)

Great write up Woody.

but, did i just catch you cheating on laxpower??

Looking forward to seeing Lecky and Maltz play,would like to see Coleman step it up this year
also Pratt/Messini/Mullins/Rice/Grimm/DeJohn/Kyle and how they figure into the mix.

What about Powderly on attack... Not much has been said about him. Wonder if he gets any run? I think Pratt will be a nice addition as well!

Woody nice to see you made it over here from Lax Power where I have been following your posts and others for a couple years now. You have to see about getting a few more of those guys over here to post, would really help get the Lax board going. Speaking of others tell FrontierLax we miss him and need him back over here, I am hopeful he has an update on our missing star Cathers, man what a dissapointment he has turned out to be. Cant believe he has no showed up to this point.

As for this year Im really interested to see what Pratt, Grimm and Lecky can do. I have been a Maltz fan from day 1 and think he is likely to have a huge year, cant wait for his brother to get here who seems to be even better. A little concerned about the D but more concerned about the Lack of star power on offense. Coleman, Barber and that whole crew have greatly underachieved we really need one of the young guys, Powderly, Lecky, Grimm, Maltz etc to step up.

I think Lecky is a big key to success this year. Last season, the offense lacked someone who could really create. Lecky has excellent speed and Desko said his shooting on the run has really improved. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

The only known this year is that that the critics will be coming out in force as soon as the first bit of adversity hits.

The only known this year is that that the critics will be coming out in force as soon as the first bit of adversity hits.
Goes with the territory when the expectations are legitimately for a National Championship every year!

Just like the football team? :D

Goes with the territory when the expectations are legitimately for a National Championship every year!

Goes with the territory, who's the guy responsible for that expectation?

The team has lost a core group of four year starters, some all time greats at their positions in the program and the sport as a whole.

My guess is that the over/under on Fire Desko is two losses.

The team has lost a core group of four year starters, some all time greats at their positions in the program and the sport as a whole.

I agree. Lost some of the greatest players we've ever had. Think we will realize how good Galloway was within the first half of our first game! Need Palasek and Desko to have big years. Also, need some middies to produce. It's about time JoJo dominated... I think we have the athletes to be good defensively, but will be raw to start the year. Our best defender Megill, got abused at times last year by guys like Pannell and that's with JG behind him...

Come on this isnt the fball team, SU Lax has expectations of the final four every year period. This is year is no different SU lax doesnt go on a 5 year rebuild it reloads. Desko knows the drill if this team doesnt make it far the seat will get warm Gross isnt paying Gait that crazy salary to coach the womans team indefinitely. How soon you forget that Desko was nearly let go after the debacles in the mid 2000's before the back to back National Titles. All that being said Desko isnt going anywhere but he knows the expectations are final four especially after two early round upsets in a row.

I agree. Lost some of the greatest players we've ever had. Think we will realize how good Galloway was within the first half of our first game! Need Palasek and Desko to have big years. Also, need some middies to produce. It's about time JoJo dominated... I think we have the athletes to be good defensively, but will be raw to start the year. Our best defender Megill, got abused at times last year by guys like Pannell and that's with JG behind him...

Galloway is a huge loss along with White but offensively losing some of those guys maybe addition by subtraction Miller was wildy inconsistent and he along with Amidon would simpy dissapear for games at a time. Keogh was unreal but by his senior year the better teams knew how to minimize him, check the Maryland and Army games in the NCAA he was basically shut down.

Come on this isnt the fball team, SU Lax has expectations of the final four every year period. This is year is no different SU lax doesnt go on a 5 year rebuild it reloads. Desko knows the drill if this team doesnt make it far the seat will get warm Gross isnt paying Gait that crazy salary to coach the womans team indefinitely. How soon you forget that Desko was nearly let go after the debacles in the mid 2000's before the back to back National Titles. All that being said Desko isnt going anywhere but he knows the expectations are final four especially after two early round upsets in a row.

Thanks for making my point.

Gross is wasting money. And the "fans" overreacted back then.

The guy has multiple national championships and you are talking about his seat getting warm and Gait in the wings.

Thanks for making my point.

Gross is wasting money. And the "fans" overreacted back then.

The guy has multiple national championships and you are talking about his seat getting warm and Gait in the wings.

No I am not talking about that at all the Admin is, I didnt bring in Gait Gross did and Gross was the one who basically let Desko know that the performance was unacceptable. I have no issues with Desko at all and even if he fails to make a final four this year he obviously should be back again without question. But obviously people who make a lot more then me feel different and yes the seat will get warm if the team struggles this year just like Marrones is warm right now its part of the job.

Well put!

Galloway is a huge loss along with White but offensively losing some of those guys maybe addition by subtraction Miller was wildy inconsistent and he along with Amidon would simpy dissapear for games at a time. Keogh was unreal but by his senior year the better teams knew how to minimize him, check the Maryland and Army games in the NCAA he was basically shut down.
I agree with Miller. Never understood why he would get the ball to run out clock. He would seek out contact and try to knock people down, while in fact it was they, who were trying to get after him. Always thought his athleticism got him extra time that his lax skills didn't deserve. Also thought Thompson had a down year last year. I for one am refreshed to see some new talent come through. Not that those guys weren't good... But, the beauty of college is the fact that you can get a whole new crop of players and ip so facto a much different team.

That said, if JG and JW wanted to stay indefinitely at SU and never graduate, I'd let them!

I agree with Miller. Never understood why he would get the ball to run out clock. He would seek out contact and try to knock people down, while in fact it was they, who were trying to get after him. Always thought his athleticism got him extra time that his lax skills didn't deserve. Also thought Thompson had a down year last year. I for one am refreshed to see some new talent come through. Not that those guys weren't good... But, the beauty of college is the fact that you can get a whole new crop of players and ip so facto a much different team.

That said, if JG and JW wanted to stay indefinitely at SU and never graduate, I'd let them!

Good call I forgot to mention Thompson and thats not a good sign, your right he really underperformed last year, to be honest I think he underachieved his two years here, his brother never qualifying I think really hurt Jeremy and the Team, they played well together and probably would have given us another right. Joel White is a huge loss ditto for the Close D all american we lost to. Still I really want to see what the young guys can do offense I hope Desko passes over Ianzito, Coleman, Barber etc those guys havent done jack in 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom