SEC moving to 9 conference games? Should ACC follow suit? | Syracusefan.com

SEC moving to 9 conference games? Should ACC follow suit?

chakka3421

All Conference
During commentary in Miami-Florida games, they mentioned SEC will probably go to 9 conference games with new SEC network and follow other major conferences like B1G doing same.

Should ACC follow suit? I'm not a scheduling expert, but I think I would prefer that so that we play other teams on a more regular basis. I wonder how it would look with 9 game conference schedule?

Weren't we supposed to have a 9 game conference schedule until FSU and Clemson complained?

6 games against the Atlantic. Pitt every year. 2 crossover games.

We'd play Miami and Va Tech once every 3 years (instead of once every 6).

I think it was Clemson and FSU who didn't want the 9 conference games. To me 9 makes the most sense. Better balance to the schedules, better to establish rivalries more big conference games. Three OOC games seems like enough to me.

I'd like to see 9 games. Meeting VT, or Miami once every 6 years doesn't even give you the feel of being in the same conference. I would welcome a 9 game schedule.

If I'm not mistaken they were going to go to 9 games until Notre Dame came into the conference and agreed to play 5 games a year with the football members.So some teams will already be playing 9 games when they play Notre Dame.

F ND - forgot about them and they are about the only team I despise more than NC State!

If I'm not mistaken they were going to go to 9 games until Notre Dame came into the conference and agreed to play 5 games a year with the football members.So some teams will already be playing 9 games when they play Notre Dame.

I believe you are right about the timing. ACC teams will only being playing eight conference games even if ND on the schedule. Don't forget, ND is "special" and doesn't have to be truly part of the conference.

During commentary in Miami-Florida games, they mentioned SEC will probably go to 9 conference games with new SEC network and follow other major conferences like B1G doing same.

Should ACC follow suit? I'm not a scheduling expert, but I think I would prefer that so that we play other teams on a more regular basis. I wonder how it would look with 9 game conference schedule?
I wish that the ACC would go to 9, but it won't happen.

FSU gets everything they want and before this is over, they are going to get the shortest conference schedule in the nation and the possibility of playing games against all their major in conference rivals and notre dame.

In the current setup, FSU gets a yearly division game against Clemson, a yearly perm cross division game against Miami, a schedules game against GT every 6 years, the possibility of an "OOC" game against GT 5/6 years, and a 9 game schedule (including the "OOC" GT games) 5 years and a 8 game schedule every 6th year, which has them playing GT, Clemson, and Miami every year in a 8.83 games per year schedule (which gives them .17 more OOC games than every other non-ACC team in the country), with the possibility of laying Miami and GT a second time in the ACC championship game.

PLUS, FSU gets ND 5/14 years as per the ACC's agreement with ND.

That is a sweet setup and FSU has enough pull to make sure it stays that way, especially since Clemson is more than happy to support their cause.

EDIT:
Throw in their yearly game against UF and FSU might have the best guaranteed schedule in the nation.

The ACC should, and it will, once the SEC also does. Getting the 8 schools in the ACC and SEC that play annually on the same page is key.

The ACC should, and it will, once the SEC also does. Getting the 8 schools in the ACC and SEC that play annually on the same page is key.

Maybe not. ND worked in 5 games every year makes it tougher for us to play 9 than for the SEC. It means that in years when FSU or Clemson or GT or Louisville plays ND, it has only 2 OOC games. That is the reason FSU, GT, and Clemson all opposed the 9 game league slate.

FSU and Clemson want 7 home games a year. In years when they have only 4 ACC home games, they'll need to play all 3 OOC games at home. Will Florida and South Carolina co-operate?

wouldn't 9 conference games pretty much mean the end of interesting cross conference games? You know the SEC is playing directional schools in those 3 out of conference games once they go 9 SEC games...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom