Senior Day Saturday-Cooney and G | Syracusefan.com

Senior Day Saturday-Cooney and G

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Reading all of the other posts it seems like a lot of people are down on Cooney and G but hopefully people can bring themselves to give them the standing ovation they deserve next week in appreciation for their time at the Cuse. G has had a great season and deservedly will earn some type of ACC recognition this year. Cooney has had some great games, but unfortunately he never became GMAC. But then again, not everyone was a GMAC fan either. Sure, the last two games have really sucked but hopefully people can get beyond that and show these guys and the team the support on the last home game of the year.

I will be there --- weather and Jet Blue willing. Senior Days are special occasions, and I fondly remember several of them.

Three that come to mind immediately:

2004 -- when Jeremy McNeill was the only senior. Jeremy literally had no family (the grandmother who raised him had died three months earlier), so the entire team walked onto the court with him as his surrogate family. A very emotional moment.

2005 -- Senior Day for Hakim Warrick, Craig Forth and Josh Pace ... which was also JB's 700th victory. Of course we lost to Vermont two weeks later, but that's another story.

2006 -- GMac was the only senior, and half of Scranton, PA, was there for the occasion. A lot of raucous fun -- which was followed by Gerry's heroics in the Big East tourney the following week.

Last edited:
Reading all of the other posts it seems like a lot of people are down on Cooney and G but hopefully people can bring themselves to give them the standing ovation they deserve next week in appreciation for their time at the Cuse. G has had a great season and deservedly will earn some type of ACC recognition this year. Cooney has had some great games, but unfortunately he never became GMAC. But then again, not everyone was a GMAC fan either. Sure, the last two games have really sucked but hopefully people can get beyond that and show these guys and the team the support on the last home game of the year.
Two warriors imo who are a huge asset to the program. Both of them deserve a tremendous senior day and a victory (or victories) as starters in their senior year in the ncaa. Go Cuse!

Even if there were a Syracuse player that I couldn't stand (and there's only been one or two in my 30 years as a fan) the minimum I would ever do for a senior on senior night would be a polite clapping. It only goes up from there. Cooney and G both deserve a very warm send off. They have worked very hard and represented the school and the university very well in their time here. And I'm not down on Cooney, he is who he is. Our system is to blame for highlighting his shortcomings imo. No reflection on him.

Last edited:
i was there too.
"2004 -- when Jeremy McNeill was the only senior. Jeremy literally had no family, so the entire team walked onto the court with him as his surrogate family. Very emotional."

and the icing on the cake was that we totally kicked a top ranked Uconn's a$$ that afternoon.

i was there too.
"2004 -- when Jeremy McNeill was the only senior. Jeremy literally had no family, so the entire team walked onto the court with him as his surrogate family. Very emotional."

and the icing on the cake was that we totally kicked a top ranked Uconn's a$$ that afternoon.
Yeah, but a month later they won the National Championship. :(

There will definitely be a HUGE send off for Gbinije and Cooney. They are worthy. And besides, they are "our" guys. I will miss them.

Gerry's send-off is the one where I actually cried. Extraordinarily poignant. We lost the game, though.

Gerry made a mistake comparing Cooney to himself those 5 years ago. It set us all up. I think it was a rookie mistake. I doubt he'll ever do something like that again. I don't know how anyone could not like and appreciate all that Gerry did for us. He RARELY disappointed. I can't remember him disappearing. I rather worship him as a lesser god. Is that wrong?

I will never forget Jeremy McMeill's senior day either. It was truly one of the most emotional moments I have experienced in the dome.

Also- having scholarship senior players has become so rare that no matter who they are they deserve s great send off from a big crowd . I hope that the 'casual fan' shows up for the last home game for G and Cooney. They gave both given the program a lot and deserve our support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone recall the last time we had a senior day that was also the last game of the season?

Seems like forever since we ended at home.
Didn't it happen last year against NC State?

There will definitely be a HUGE send off for Gbinije and Cooney. They are worthy. And besides, they are "our" guys. I will miss them.

Gerry's send-off is the one where I actually cried. Extraordinarily poignant. We lost the game, though.

Gerry made a mistake comparing Cooney to himself those 5 years ago. It set us all up. I think it was a rookie mistake. I doubt he'll ever do something like that again. I don't know how anyone could not like and appreciate all that Gerry did for us. He RARELY disappointed. I can't remember him disappearing. I rather worship him as a lesser god. Is that wrong?

Theres still time for Cooney to put the team on his back and carry them to the promise land!

Get hot in the ACCT and carry over to the NCAAT SUball

We will win! I have never seen a SU team lose when I was at the game. Granted this will be the first time I saw a game at the dome. I saw the men's lacrosse team win two semi final games and two final games at Gillette Stadium. I also saw the men's basketball team beat Florida and North Carolina on the way to the final four. I am looking to go 7 and 0!

There are some players who may not have been the most athletic, nor the most talented, many playing through injuries but who always gave their all for 4 or more years to SU with no complaints, no drama, while representing us with absolute class. I'd hope it would be easy to honor all our seniors for all they've done.

2004 -- when Jeremy McNeill was the only senior. Jeremy literally had no family (the grandmother who raised him had died three months earlier), so the entire team walked onto the court with him as his surrogate family. A very emotional moment.
Does anybody know what he's up to these days?

I should be there with little man

do we need to cheer for Christian White?

Anyone who gives there all to this program deserves an ovation, we all respect the amount of time and effort they put in, I think we are just frustrated with the way the season is going.

Our guys. Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom