Seton Hall thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Seton Hall thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
Many people wish every day was Christmas. I like Christmas, but I'm starting to wish every day was right after Christmas.

Across the country teams generally play ugly ball right after Christmas. Its usually a lot of traveling for kids (out to see family, back to school, then out to whatever venue you are playing in) and not much practice time, so nobody is operating at 100% efficiency.

It turns out that is a great way for Syracuse to play. We are conditioned to think that many factors go into winning or losing a basketball game - how you shoot, how you rebound, how you defend, etc. When you play Syracuse there is one factor that is much more important than the others. Are you taking care of the ball?

If you dont take care of the ball against Syracuse, absolutely nothing else matters. Syracuse is too good defensively and too good in transition. No matter what the shooting, rebounding, or anything else is like, if you cant protect the ball against Syracuse you are going to get blown out.

That is what happened to Seton Hall. The quick turn around from Christmas break, then traveling to the number one team in the country's home court, was too much for them. They couldn't seem to hold onto the ball, and that was all she wrote.

One other factor mattered big time in this game, and that was the Fab factor. Herb Pope is by far the most talented player on Seton Hall's roster and everything they do goes through him. Syracuse was able to render Herb Pope completely ineffective, and that completely shut Seton Hall's offense down. They had no plan B. Most of the credit has to go to Fab.

Over the past few years we have had two very good defensive centers in Jackson and Onuaku. Last year Jackson was among the best defenders in the entire country. But, neither Jackson nor Onuaku was a traditional shot blocker.

Playing great positional defense will get you far, even to a championship, and Syracuse is no stranger to centers who have done that - pretty much every one from Forth to Watkins, to Onuaku, to Jackson. But there is something about a great shot blocker that can steal the soul of the opposition. Melo was that kind of shot blocker against Seton Hall. He absolutely ripped their soul out, and he did it against arguably the most talented big man in the Big East. That is not something Syracuse has had the ability to do in a long time.

Most of the teams that hurt Syracuse's zone do so by working the ball inside out. With Fab blocking shots like that, not many teams are going to be able to hurt us inside, which means not many teams are going to be able to score effectively against us.

One other benefit of having Fab in the middle, which I have noticed all year is that he takes up more space and covers more space than a typical center, so Syracuse has given him more room to operate. The rest of the zone seems to puff out more when Fab is in the game, than it has in previous years. If you want to know why we lead the country in steals, I would say Fab is just as important to that particular achievement as the guys who are actually getting the steals.

Count me as someone who thought this was going to be a tough game. Even though last year's blow out had the feel of our football team blowing out West Virginia (one of those fluky upsets where everything goes right for the underdog). I still thought they would come into the Dome with a good plan that they could execute and give Syracuse trouble. I only thought we'd see a blow out if Syracuse shot the lights out. Syracuse did not shoot the lights out by any means, and the game was still a laugher from start to finish. Lets mark this one as a free-be and move on.

Going forward I hope we see more Fab dominance, more mid range jumpers from Triche, and more aggressive attacking of the basket.

One other benefit of having Fab in the middle, which I have noticed all year is that he takes up more space and covers more space than a typical center, so Syracuse has given him more room to operate. The rest of the zone seems to puff out more when Fab is in the game, than it has in previous years. If you want to know why we lead the country in steals, I would say Fab is just as important to that particular achievement as the guys who are actually getting the steals.

Superb post. I especially like this point, i.e. Fab's presence in the middle provides his teammates the opportunity to push outward on defense. He was a pleasure to watch last nite with his motivated play and the joy he expressed when he contributed a big play. The team certainly seems to love him and he put on a fine display for them in return.

Great post as usual. I think there has been a noticable difference in the play of all three of our bigs since Hopkins started working with them. Fab was great last night against a guy who may wind up first team all BE.

Yup...great post. Fab is moving SO well that people tend to forget how big he really is. His arms are really long, too. He was just awesome last night. I also am impressed with his footwork on the O end these days. Occasionally he is getting some difficult passes near the basket with lots of congestion around him. These would result in travels for most young big guys but since he's been really strong with his footwork we're getting the deuces.

Yup...great post. Fab is moving SO well that people tend to forget how big he really is. His arms are really long, too. He was just awesome last night. I also am impressed with his footwork on the O end these days. Occasionally he is getting some difficult passes near the basket with lots of congestion around him. These would result in travels for most young big guys but since he's been really strong with his footwork we're getting the deuces.
I like that he's working hard on his offense. JB mentioned in a previous press conference that he and Melo disagreed as to whether he could make a 15' jumper, but think JB wants him to be more aggressive on offense. He showed good things last nite and though JB tried to curb Melo's enthusiasm at times, I think he has to be pleased.

Fab had a sequence where he blocked a shot on one end, took a pass in the paint, hit a 12 ft turnaround jumper, & then sprinted down to make yet another block on defense.
For the first, and I'm sure not the last time, I was awestruck. This kid's potential, on both ends, is virtually unlimited. :D

Herb Pope owned Rick Jackson in both games they played last year. Killed him on the glass and killed him down low. It was a night and day experience for Pope with Melo in the middle. Melo gives us so much more defensively than Rick was able to do. That's not a knock against Rick, I loved the guy.

Great post. I note Fab wasn't taking charges. I prefer when he goes after blocks. That defends the basket in a way charges don't. Charges are turnovers but so are blocks if you can block them to teammates- and you can just run. You don't have to take the ball in from out of bounds and let them set up their defense.

Greta post. I note Fab wasn't taking charges. I prefer when he goes after blocks. That defends the basket in a way charges don't. Charges are turnovers but so are blocks if you can block them to teammates- and you can just run. You don't have to take the ball inf rom out of bounds and let them set up their defense.

Its a good development in Fab's game for sure. Also as a big guy sarts blocking lots of shots and getting a reputation as a premier shot blcker they seem to get called less and less for ticky tack fouls as long as they are going up after the ball and getting a peice of it.

Greta post. I note Fab wasn't taking charges. I prefer when he goes after blocks. That defends the basket in a way charges don't. Charges are turnovers but so are blocks if you can block them to teammates- and you can just run. You don't have to take the ball inf rom out of bounds and let them set up their defense.
SWC, I always like and appreciate your analysis. I hope you have a lot of games like last nite to review. Best Wishes!

Fab had a sequence where he blocked a shot on one end, took a pass in the paint, hit a 12 ft turnaround jumper, & then sprinted down to make yet another block on defense.
For the first, and I'm sure not the last time, I was awestruck. This kid's potential, on both ends, is virtually unlimited. :D

I remember when that type of play was standard for Akeem Olajuwan .. no harm in emulating that guy ..

Post-game quote by Herb Pope: " "I didn't execute the game plan as far as getting the big kid (Melo) off his feet, going into him. I helped him have a stellar game."

I watched the game a second time this morning. Specifically, I wanted to pay closer attention to what Pope was doing on the court. What I found interesting is that Pope pump-faked exactly once all game (in the first half at about the 6:05 mark). He received a pass at the elbow and when he turned to spot-up, Fab came out from under the basket. Pope pump-faked and Fab flew right by him. With one dribble, Pope made an uncontested dunk...his easiest points of the night. Edwin pumped-faked a shot in the second half but only after he left his feet. His shot was Fab's block #9.

It's no secret that Fab is an incredibly aggressive shot blocker who leaves his feet. Pope's game plan was simple...but he didnt execute but once. Im not taking a single thing away from Fab's game last night, but I dont think we will see many more centers or power forwards going forward that wont pump-fake and play right into Fab's strength. And, Im not suggesting that had he gotten into a bit of foul trouble that the final score would have been much different. Fab sold out on just about every shot and it worked...whether by design or not. It was a record-breaking night. Im hoping I see some patience from him and doesnt jump every time the ball gets in the paint. We shall see.

General20 excellent excellent post. I had noticed that our zone especially from the forward positions was extending out really well even to the three point line more so than in years past. But I didn't relate that to the additional comfort JB has with Fab 's ability to compensate. I have never seen another basketball player or even any other athlete in any sport make the kind of progress Fab has. His ability to cover ground is astounding. Wow, just wow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom