Class of 2018 - SF Cameron Reddish (PA) to Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cameron Reddish (PA) to Duke

View attachment 61455 The good old days my friend. Mixtapes that had all the exclusive tracks on them before the internet craze were like the new crack in the hood back then.

Interesting bball story about Cam'ron for those that didn't know. He played at Manhattan Center and was teammates with Ma$e and Richie Parker. Parker was a top 25 prospect until he was hit with a rape charge. He eventually ended up at LIU. Back to Cam, he had some D1 interest and said that Miami was recruiting him hard but he didn't have the grades coming out of HS. He ended up at a Juco in Texas and was planning on committing to Baylor I think, then the rap career started to take off shortly after.
Didn't Cam have some lyrics about him going to a Juco? I think it was in the song he sampled Biggie's Things done changed. SD&E I think was the name.

EDIT: Found this article about Cam'ron's hoop days, with this quote (which I'm sure is fabricated a bit):

Cam’ron claims to have been recruited by Miami, Georgetown, Syracuse (“Jim Boeheim, he called me up and sent me letters, sent recruiters to the games,” he says, “though there were certain rules, like you can’t talk to them or whatever”)

Apparently he played for the Gauchos and Riverside AAU teams, too.

Last edited:
Didn't Cam have some lyrics about him going to a Juco? I think it was in the song he sampled Biggie's Things done changed. SD&E I think was the name.

EDIT: Found this article about Cam'ron's hoop days, with this quote (which I'm sure is fabricated a bit):

Cam’ron claims to have been recruited by Miami, Georgetown, Syracuse (“Jim Boeheim, he called me up and sent me letters, sent recruiters to the games,” he says, “though there were certain rules, like you can’t talk to them or whatever”)

Apparently he played for the Gauchos and Riverside AAU teams, too.

That is correct he claimed in high school if you nice they make sure that you're eligible!!!! A kid that hooped at UB when I was there played on the gauchos with Cam back in the day

Francis, you don't have any insight into why we haven't offered?

Maybe it's TB. Staff might not want to give the impression that they're recruiting over or against him for Cam, until TB actually jumps ... That would explain why we're following Cam without actually offering him. I don't think Red's checking out his games just to see if he's good ... lol
Battle is a guard, while Cam has grown and settled into a versatile 6'7/6'8 wing player. He's two classes away so I don't understand how hurting Battle's feelings would be a concern here. I doubt the staff is anticipating Battle being around for his Junior year, which would be the time that Cam enters college.

Francis, you don't have any insight into why we haven't offered?
Trust me if I knew, then I wouldn't be here complaining and wondering why Duke and Kentucky is offering but not us.:noidea:

Unreal we haven't offered. Kid is from Philly, 3.5 hours away, top 10 player in his class, and 6'8 maybe growing, prototypical SU wing. OFFER THIS KID!!

Yah I started thinking that didn't make sense, so I deleted the post. Thank you for responding - im actually listening to the pod right now.
It's all good, buddy. Hopefully that offer will come soon. Thanks for listening to the pod.:)

There can be many reasons as to why he hasn't been offered as of this time. Just to mention a few... The staff has many different channels which they use to collect information on these kids as they rise up through high school. They communicate with the various clubs, aau coaches and High School coaches as well as other coaching staffs that they might be friends with.

It's possible that while they have their ears to the ground they become privy to the fact that a particular kid may not be interested in being pursued by certain programs, might not like playing zone, has a family member who is a legacy at another school, or wants to play in a particular region of the country.

From the coaching perspective the staff might feel that certain players are one and done material for sure and that particular player would not be a substantial asset to the program if they were certain their services would only be available for one year.

A player may have a reputation of being a not so great student and might have trouble qualifying...The staff might have another target in mind that is of a higher order of priority and they don't want to send a mixed message by offering another similar type player.

And finally... and I'm certain that this comes into play on a regular basis...There is a lot that changes with these kids especially when you are talking about a kid who wouldn't set foot on campus for 2 or 3 years so why tip your hand any earlier than you'd need to. Once you offer a kid you then need to commit resources to them. Kids pay attention to who is recruiting them the hardest. That means members of the coaching staff attending as many games as possible and maintaining a constant dialogue with the recruit. That takes up valuable resources from your staff in terms of time and effort.

So, all of that having been said... Why the he(( haven't we offered this kid? ;)

Flacusian, I agree that all those things are factors. I also think there's no way the staff just forgot to offer this kid a scholarship. However the fact is they do seem to be spending resources on him because they are going to see him so it remains a strange situation as to what is going on.

That has been the problem in the past is that they wait til all the top teams offer them. I say these kids know who are the first to offer them and it means a lot to some of them.

That has been the problem in the past is that they wait til all the top teams offer them. I say these kids know who are the first to offer them and it means a lot to some of them.
Not necessarily. Calipari has a habit of swooping in at the last minute to grab guys. And, many top recruits have said publicly that they wait (hope) for the UK offer.

However, based upon Duke's recent successful dive into the one-and-done pool (including last year's NC), it appears Calipari is moving on some of the top kids earlier.

Last edited:

I think it's been the opposite. We've usually been on guys early and then they blow up and the recruitment gets out of control and we back off. Seems like that anyway.

Coaches are allowed to contact 2018 recruits personally starting Wednesday coming up. Hopefully the staff will wake up from it's coma when it comes to this kid.
Oh Francis. The eternal optimist. Or where you being sarcastic? I think we both know that isn't happening. Also could you please change your image back to Jordan with the cigar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom