Class of 2017 - SF Curtis Haywood (OK/NH) Brewster Academy to Ga Tech | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Curtis Haywood (OK/NH) Brewster Academy to Ga Tech

I like it--lefty. Kid looks like a 6-5 version of CJ Fair.

One of the biggest breakout players at the National Prep Showcase this year was Brewster Academy’s Curtis Haywood II. The senior wing had two stellar performances and made more of a national name for himself. Plenty of exposure comes with playing at Brewster with the amount of talent they have every year. Haywood has liked playing with other high level talent at Brewster.

“We like playing with each other so we have built some good team chemistry,” said Haywood.

He has a good mix of high major and mid major schools recruiting him.

“I talk with Georgia Tech, Tulsa, Arkansas and Illinois as well as Indiana a little bit,” he said. “Tulsa, Georgia Tech and Illinois State have offered me so far. Indiana and Colorado are new schools that have jumped into the picture.”

Josh Pastner and his coaching staff have made him a priority.

“Georgia Tech would be the school that is recruiting me the hardest so far,” he told MADE Hoops.

His recruitment won’t be coming to a close anytime soon.

“For my recruiting timeline, I don’t have visits planned just yet and I am probably going to commit to a school in the middle of the season,” Haywood said.

He's amphibious. Shoots righty. Seems to favor a lefty dribble. And can dunk lefty... Looks like a nice player.

Maybe it's the 'stache, but he looks 30 years old.

I thought the same thing. It does look like his game has some bite. That 'stache. Good replacement for Rico.

image.png

Last edited:
He's amphibious. Shoots righty. Seems to favor a lefty dribble. And can dunk lefty... Looks like a nice player.
Im glad he likes water given the fact that he is ambidextrous he must be one heck of a swimmer.

Mentioned on my recent pod that there was a few unsigned guys over at Brewster that we could possibly take a look at. Haywood was a stock riser at a prep event last weekend.
Too bad Cal doesn't have any more vacancies...

We'll see if things will eventually change, but so far no serious interest has been shown from the staff for the Brewsters boys. Haywood is a shooter that the staff really needs to get out and evaluate.

We'll see if things will eventually change, but so far no serious interest has been shown from the staff for the Brewsters boys. Haywood is a shooter that the staff really needs to get out and evaluate.

He reminds me [game wise] of Sam Young from Pitt a few years back. Probably not quite as tall. But disappointed to hear that--a guy like this could spell two positions and play, while helping to fill an area of depleted roster depth. Seems like a no-brainer rock for the staff to turn over.

Another one off the board. :(
I am so disappointed in our coaching staff this year. First, they go all in on QG. Then they assign our least experienced assistant to our top targets. Hops not the HC yet, why wasn't he taking the lead w QG and other top NE targets. This has been the worst recruiting year since Carmelo came to SU. I saw this happen before Troy Weaver came in as an assistant coach; remember LaSean Howard and Sam Spann. Oshae Brissett and Bourama Sidibe might be nice players but pale in comparison to the talent Duke brings in each year. The immediate future looks bleak until we shake up our coaching staff.

Last edited:
I am so disappointed in our coaching staff this year. First, they go all in on QG. Then they assign our least experienced assistant to our top targets. Hops not the HC yet, why wasn't he taking the lead w QG and other top NE targets. This has been the worst recruiting year since Carmelo came to SU. I saw this happen before Troy Weaver came in as an assistant coach; remember LaSean Howard and Sam Spann. Oshae Brissett and Bourama Sidibe might be nice players but pale in comparison to the talent Duke brings in each year. The immediate future looks bleak until we shake up our coaching staff.

Our recruiting pales in comparison to Duke (and UK) virtually every year.

The once in a blue moon we get a Top Ten recruit is a huge deal for us -
those programs usually get multiple Top Ten guys every year.

Our recruiting pales in comparison to Duke (and UK) virtually every year.

The once in a blue moon we get a Top Ten recruit is a huge deal for us -
those programs usually get multiple Top Ten guys every year.

Duke and UK are on their own tier when it comes to recruiting. No shame in that. I bring it up all the time, but there is no reason why SU couldn't be on the same level as a program like Zona. The fact that Zona can come into SU's recruiting stomping grounds and land more top 50 players than them is flat out embarrassing.

Duke and UK are on their own tier when it comes to recruiting. No shame in that. I bring it up all the time, but there is no reason why SU couldn't be on the same level as a program like Zona. The fact that Zona can come into SU's recruiting stomping grounds and land more top 50 players than them is flat out embarrassing.
Time for change people and a BIG change, "Clean the House". Like I said in previous post, JB to retire and for us to get the best coach available out there and some top recruiters/assistants and start rebuilding and do it now so with all the scholarships for the next few years we can build a respectable team and a staff that can recruit and teach our players, "mainly the bigs" how to play. I haven't seen a SU team regress so much in one year and it isn't because we lost so much talent because we got good players to replace them, its the whole team. I see coach JB is not as intense at coaching as he has in the past few years and maybe due to him ready to retire. But as far as Hopkins, he is NOT the right replacement for JB, and as far as the asst, coaches, they were great player for SU while they were here but they are not coaches that can recruit, "maybe other than Autry" but we need ones that can teach these young players how to play and work as a team. Yes you are going to blast me but I as a SU fan is killing me to see this just continue and I see it is getting worst.. jm

is it true we never got out and saw this kid?