Class of 2017 - SF Curtis Haywood (OK/NH) Brewster Academy to Ga Tech | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Curtis Haywood (OK/NH) Brewster Academy to Ga Tech

Yep. Our coaches decided that making trips to Brewster this season wasn't worth their time.Oh Lord

I've never really had a problem with our recruiting until this year. While I've questioned some of the guys we've gone after the past few years the overall body of work was acceptable.

Seems like you have the same frustrations and know we could be in a lot of trouble in the coming years.

I love your opinions and knowledge and while appreciate your reports and keeping us all in the know, but right now you're scaring the hell out of me.

I heard JB is telling kids not to come here and is instructing the assistants not to visit any kids cuz he wants the program in the worst possible shape when he leaves

Yep. Our coaches decided that making trips to Brewster this season wasn't worth their time.Oh Lord

It's laughable and disturbing at the same time. Maybe the recruiting restriction of being only able to have two coaches on the road at the same is hamstringing the staff. (I'm trying very hard to give them some loophole). Still, this is really looking like amateur hour.

I've never really had a problem with our recruiting until this year. While I've questioned some of the guys we've gone after the past few years the overall body of work was acceptable.

Seems like you have the same frustrations and know we could be in a lot of trouble in the coming years.

I love your opinions and knowledge and while appreciate your reports and keeping us all in the know, but right now you're scaring the hell out of me.
JB snoozing at multiple recruiting events and sending GMac to recruit a gang of five stars should be scaring the hell out of you more than anything I post and say.

JB snoozing at multiple recruiting events and sending GMac to recruit a gang of five stars should be scaring the hell out of you more than anything I post and say.

Oh, it does...... I've voiced it a few times on here but I try not to harp on it as I don't want to get trashed for talking about the golden child.

I feel ya.
I said what I had to say on here fearing I was going to get the raft of God put down on me. However I found out that there are a few others on here feel the same.

Oh, it does... I've voiced it a few times on here but I try not to harp on it as I don't want to get trashed for talking about the golden child.
who's the "golden child"?

who's the "golden child"?
Gmac... I'm not afraid to say it. He was a great player here and deserves all the love in the world from SU. But that does not make him a coach or a recruiter. It's time SU looked outside the past players base and brought in a recruiter like they did with Weaver and Murphy. Without the AAU ties you don't stand a chance with some of these kids.

Gmac... I'm not afraid to say it. He was a great player here and deserves all the love in the world from SU. But that does not make him a coach or a recruiter. It's time SU looked outside the past players base and brought in a recruiter like they did with Weaver and Murphy. Without the AAU ties you don't stand a chance with some of these kids.
Especially when trying to bring them in to a play for a team with a lame duck HC. I respect JAB for all he's done for the program, but putting that 3-year date for retirement was IMO a mistake that's hurting them in the recruiting game.

Especially when trying to bring them in to a play for a team with a lame duck HC. I respect JAB for all he's done for the program, but putting that 3-year date for retirement was IMO a mistake that's hurting them in the recruiting game.

Completely disagree. Because the alternative would have been to not announce anything, and the uncertainty would be even more heavily used against us in recruiting. At least now the timetable is out in the open.

Completely disagree. Because the alternative would have been to not announce anything, and the uncertainty would be even more heavily used against us in recruiting. At least now the timetable is out in the open.
There is no right or wrong answer, but it certainly looks like putting a time table has not helped at all. Depending on which side of the argument you back, it can be seen both ways. Couldn't do any worse if we had uncertainty surrounding JABs end date.

The alternative was for him to step down at the end of the year. Yes, the NCAA is a bunch of blowhards with zero consistency in how they apply sanctions, but very few coaches get away with having their wrists slapped twice in their career - especially at one school. When the penalties were announced, the school should have made a clean break and started the rebuild. Having a three-year transition is kind of dragging out the repercussions.

There is no right or wrong answer, but it certainly looks like putting a time table has not helped at all. Depending on which side of the argument you back, it can be seen both ways. Couldn't do any worse if we had uncertainty surrounding JABs end date.

"Helped?" We're talking about a HOF icon retiring--this was always going to hurt us in some capacity, the question is whether it would have been better to keep it quiet and then have JB retire unexpectedly or to establish a timeline in advance and rip off the band aid up front.

As you say, there probably isn't a right or wrong answer, but I agree with the approach we've taken. Better to get the pain over with than have it manifest as a larger and larger issue hanging over the program's head on the recruiting trail every season.

Bingo

Saw Okauru and Haywood today in Springfield. Neither player impressed, though obviously it's just one game. As for Haywood, he was only 1 for 7 from the floor (unofficially, of course), making a 3. The majority of his shots were not "pretty," so to speak, but seemed to be rushed and errant. He did have 7 rebounds, 3 assists and a couple of steals, but even so, I'm not sure he would be the answer to our dilemma for next year if Battle is the only player sticking around who can regularly stick the 3.