Class of 2017 - SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri

Where ever Porter Sr. Coaches is where he will play. He's been offered a job by Martin at Mizzu. Like you say family is also from there so its very likely he ends up there. I'd still call though, doesn't hurt to try.

images

Where ever Porter Sr. Coaches is where he will play. He's been offered a job by Martin at Mizzu. Like you say family is also from there so its very likely he ends up there. I'd still call though, doesn't hurt to try.
We just happen to have an assistant coach spot available...sign a one year deal. Just saying.

Porter/Hopkins, etc.:

Top-ranked prospect Michael Porter Jr. wants release from Washington

Mike Hopkins wowed the crowd in Seattle during his introductory press conference at the University of Washington on Wednesday.

The longtime Syracuse University assistant coach spoke of his desire to build his own legacy and laid out a vision of what Washington can be under his leadership.

Most of what Hopkins discussed referred to a long-term vision for the Huskies.

In the short term, Hopkins may have a struggle on his hands to keep one of the nation's top high school players committed to Washington.

No. 1 prospect Michael Porter Jr. of Seattle Nathan Hale, will request a release from his letter of intent to Washington.

Top-ranked prospect Michael Porter Jr. wants release from Washington
Well he better recruit better and coach better than he did here. jmo

College basketball is super sketchy and becoming a turnoff like the NBA.

Enjoy getting your ace kicked at Mizzou.

Or you could come somewhere, receive a valuable coaching/life experience, play the best competition in the land and be a top 5 pick.

I'd rather play Kansas AND Duke/UNC/Ville

Or you could come somewhere, receive a valuable coaching/life experience, play the best competition in the land and be a top 5 pick.

I hear what you are saying, but his retort would be "Or, I play for my dad and then be the #1 pick." Some of these kids are not driven by winning. They are just getting to the paycheck. And, in the meantime, if they can get their mom or dad a paycheck, even better. I would love to say that I would be any different, but I have no idea what I would be like under the same circumstances.

I hear what you are saying, but his retort would be "Or, I play for my dad and then be the #1 pick." Some of these kids are not driven by winning. They are just getting to the paycheck. And, in the meantime, if they can get their mom or dad a paycheck, even better. I would love to say that I would be any different, but I have no idea what I would be like under the same circumstances.
You look more impressive leading a city to a national championship than you do hogging the spotlight on daddy's 15 win team.

You're right though, I wouldn't have any idea either. Just missed when kids had dreams of trophies/championships instead of paychecks and cameras.

Hop was a great recruiter here. He wasn't a head coach here and those 9 games he was trusted into.

I think Hop is a very smart man and I know that whatever team he puts out on the floor will play smart basketball and put him in a postion of success.
Also a fun and energetic man. His team will be too. I wanna play for Hop. Why all the hate for him from these tweakers? He was good enough to be HC here (probably 90% approved) now people saying he's garbage cause he's gone. My bet is we'll be praying he comes back whenever the old man checks out.

You look more impressive leading a city to a national championship than you do hogging the spotlight on daddy's 15 win team.

You're right though, I wouldn't have any idea either. Just missed when kids had dreams of trophies/championships instead of paychecks and cameras.
I agree completely, the heart of a champion is difficult to measure at the combine, but it is often evident in one's college choice. I wonder how often, at the combine interviews, they ask what made them choose their respective college and how important winning is to them.

He'll be on national TV about maybe twice, depending how many times they play UK.

I agree completely, the heart of a champion is difficult to measure at the combine, but it is often evident in one's college choice. I wonder how often, at the combine interviews, they ask what made them choose their respective college and how important winning is to them.

I'd love to hear from Coach Pop/Coach Stevens etc. what they look for when trading up in drafts

I personally hate the fact that this kid is going to what I think will be a terrible team even with him next year.

Having said that, I find it kind of funny that in college basketball, we give a kid crap for choosing a school where he'll have to work harder to win, and on the flipside, if an NBA player signs somewhere to win, we give them for taking the easy way out.

I think Porter's situation is different because he's not really going somewhere that's harder to win IMO; he's going somewhere with no chance of winning regardless of how hard he works.

But everyone has different priorities. I can't hate on the kid for wanting to stay close to his family/return home to Missouri for one more year before he begins his NBA career. I personally could never imagine having my choice of any school in the country and choosing one where I'll almost certainly lose a ton, but to each their own.

I personally hate the fact that this kid is going to what I think will be a terrible team even with him next year.

Having said that, I find it kind of funny that in college basketball, we give a kid for choosing a school where he'll have to work harder to win, and on the flipside, if an NBA player signs somewhere to win, we give them for taking the easy way out.

I think Porter's situation is different because he's not really going somewhere that's harder to win IMO; he's going somewhere with no chance of winning regardless of how hard he works.

But everyone has different priorities. I can't hate on the kid for wanting to stay close to his family/return home to Missouri for one more year before he begins his NBA career. I personally could never imagine having my choice of any school in the country and choosing one where I'll almost certainly lose a ton, but to each their own.

If there wasn't a stupid rule forcing him to wait another season to enter the draft then he wouldn't even play college ball. That is why I don't get worked up about stuff like this.

Having said that, I find it kind of funny that in college basketball, we give a kid for choosing a school where he'll have to work harder to win, and on the flipside, if an NBA player signs somewhere to win, we give them for taking the easy way out.

You talk like a college basketball fan. And I hear you as a college basketball fan, and I agree with you as a college basketball fan. But, when I approach it from the kid's point of view, I see it differently. He is being forced to wait a year before achieving his dream. In the meantime, he has a chance to be with his family for one more year before jumping on the crazy train of the NBA life. College basketball means little to him (assuming). He will, of course, try to win, but his eyes are already on the prize. The sad part is, he is going to go to some crappy NBA team and he won't be part of a winner for at least a few years.

You talk like a college basketball fan. And I hear you as a college basketball fan, and I agree with you as a college basketball fan. But, when I approach it from the kid's point of view, I see it differently. He is being forced to wait a year before achieving his dream. In the meantime, he has a chance to be with his family for one more year before jumping on the crazy train of the NBA life. College basketball means little to him (assuming). He will, of course, try to win, but his eyes are already on the prize. The sad part is, he is going to go to some crappy NBA team and he won't be part of a winner for at least a few years.

Yeah, like I said, I can't hate on him for wanting to spend one more year with his family back home. I get it. Just wouldn't be the decision I would personally make and it's kind of depressing for me as a college/NBA fan that I probably won't see Porter play much because his school will never be on TV/won't make the NCAA tournament.

Mizzou hasn't played Kansas since joining the SEC. They will make the tournament next year.

Porter Jr. has won state titles in two states, including an undefeated season and Mythical National Championship this past year. His HS team in Seattle won three games the year before.

Porter Jr. has won state titles in two states, including an undefeated season and Mythical National Championship this past year. His HS team in Seattle won three games the year before.

A college national championship's a bit harder to obtain than a HS state title. Not to downplay how significant and impressive winning states is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom