Class of 2017 - SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke

Assuming KD doesn't sue him for copyright infringement.

Kevin_Durant_Slim_Reaper_OKC_Thunder--ZM--SPG.jpg
wow, had no idea KD (or anyone else for that matter) had that as a moniker

wow, had no idea KD (or anyone else for that matter) had that as a moniker

Durant has actually publicly stated he does not like that as a nickname. Doesn't like the connection with death...or something.

Such a great nickname tho

We need to land a top flight SG in this class. Would love for it to be the slim reaper--but Diallo, O'Connell, Thompson--need to land one of them.

I hear you and I think we need 2 guys out of the group of O'Connell, Thompson, Randolf, Walker. I don't think Diallo will play NCAA ball so I didn't include him. If we get two in that group plus Tucker and a PG (preferably Green) then we would be in excellent shape. At least 1 at the 2G spot is a must though.

I hear you and I think we need 2 guys out of the group of O'Connell, Thompson, Randolf, Walker. I don't think Diallo will play NCAA ball so I didn't include him. If we get two in that group plus Tucker and a PG (preferably Green) then we would be in excellent shape. At least 1 at the 2G spot is a must though.

I was hoping that our "second" 2G would be that in-state kid who ended up committing to UNC a couple of weeks ago.

Any chance Alex puts on about 20 pounds of muscle over the next year? :D

I'm going to going to say . . . . . . . nope. Looks like one of those kids that will take a couple years in college to start filling out.

Any chance Alex puts on about 20 pounds of muscle over the next year? :D

Its certainly possible that he could be up 20 lbs by October of '17. Gonna keep growing with age, put in a little weight room work on top of it and its doable.

6'6 SG from Georgia. Stated to the media at the NBPA camp yesterday that he plans to visit SU later this month. Thinks an offer might be made during the visit. Averaged 14 ppg on 50% shooting during EYBL play this spring. Had a big first day yesterday at the NBPA camp, which features all of the top players in the country that are not participating in the USA trials.
I think he has nice shooting form but to me, the shooting hand is a little too pronounced and it takes him a little too long to get off his shot to be perfect. Still very good though.

Looks like he has fine agility and quickness for someone his height. Hard to say for sure given so little of the film has him playing defense but I think he should be able to handle playing up top in the zone (which is good since he will never be able to play on the baseline for Syracuse).

I really like that he is already accomplished at shooting off the dribble. Many good shooters take years in college to learn that skill. I really like his range, which appears to extend well beyond the college 3 point circle.

Like Mason says, his jumping ability is impressive. I like how he uses his body to protect the ball on some of the rare times he takes the ball to the hoop.

Lastly, I like taking players who are not 100% mature physically. They tend to improve more than the players who have D1 bodies in HS and I think it almost forces him to stay in college for at least a couple of seasons...

This kid reminds me of Luke Hancock from Louisville's NC team. That kid always went bonkers against us. Alex looks more athletic already than Luke ever was.

This sets up well for us. He was quoted in the TOS Duke site as saying he wants to make a decision by September.

This sets up well for us. He was quoted in the TOS Duke site as saying he wants to make a decision by September.
That would be great. I will believe it when I see it. Maybe he met September of 2017. The old TT school of committing.

Alex was one I hoped we could get an early commit from, but he keeps blowing up and is now on everyone's radar...

Still hopeful we land him as he could really flourish in Orange and be around a few years...

O'Connell jumps all the way to #36 in the latest summer HoopSeen-125 ranks!

Other Cuse notables in the post-summer workout ranks...
4 Bamba, 5 Diallo, 6 Duval, 14 Richards, 18 Green, 22 Brown, 24 Walker, 35 Tucker, 39 Randolph, 48 Brissett, 49 Coleman, 69 Washington, 85 Alvarado, 109 Sidibe