Class of 2017 - SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke

This article makes it sound like Louisville is out. I know some thought they were our toughest competition for him.

Very interesting no mention of Lville in that article. Maybe he knows Randolph is heading there?

I think we have a nice shot. I'd love for Duke to take their sweet time offering him; shocked that they haven't yet.

I think we have a nice shot. I'd love for Duke to take their sweet time offering him; shocked that they haven't yet.

They'll still have Kennard, possibly Jackson, and I think Gary Trent is their priority ahead of O'Connell.

They'll still have Kennard, possibly Jackson, and I think Gary Trent is their priority ahead of O'Connell.

Yep, and hopefully the Reapers will get the feeling that they're on the backburner, opening the door for an Orange commitment this fall. (I love this Slim Reaper nickname; I know Durant had it first but I love it nonetheless.) We need Lawrinson14 to make O'Connell into the grim reaper from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

He's got good lift on his jumper whether off the dribble or catch and shoot. I love his energy. I know it's highlights but he seems really sharp, quick, and smart.

His coach

"He's just a kid who's a play-maker," Kramer said. "He's not a shooter. He's not a passer. He's not a mid-range guy. He's all three. He can score and facilitate. He makes everyone on the court better."

Would we take both Tucker and Slim? Better question maybe would both want to come?

They play different positions [O'Connel is a 2, Tucker is a 3].

Given that we will have up to 7 attrition losses this offseason, will bring in a huge class, and offer bountiful playing time at several positions, bringing in those two to challenge for starting roles at their respective positions won't be an issue.

Looking at next year, you figure we are in pretty good shape with Howard at point. Hopefully Moyer will be ready to step in at the 4, and Chukwu/Thompson should make a pretty good combo at the 5 (I really like the potential of Moyer and Thompson playing 4 and 5 for us down the road, they bring a lot of skill to those positions).

We will probably have nothing at the 2 and the 3. I'd be shocked if we didn't bring in a blue chip at each position and probably a grad student wing on top of that. It will make for a young but exciting team next year.

Looking at next year, you figure we are in pretty good shape with Howard at point. Hopefully Moyer will be ready to step in at the 4, and Chukwu/Thompson should make a pretty good combo at the 5 (I really like the potential of Moyer and Thompson playing 4 and 5 for us down the road, they bring a lot of skill to those positions).

We will probably have nothing at the 2 and the 3. I'd be shocked if we didn't bring in a blue chip at each position and probably a grad student wing on top of that. It will make for a young but exciting team next year.
I agree, but would add that although I think Frank Howard would be a suitable starting point guard, I would love to land one of the blue chip PG's that we have been going after. Quade Green or Matt Coleman would likely keep Frank coming off the bench. But, if we add Isaiah Washington, it would probably be a battle to see who starts. Either way, we need another PG to go along with the wings you mentioned. Also, Nick Richards would likely come in and split time with Chukwu at center and enable us to put Taurean Thompson at forward with Moyer. We would (will) be loaded again.

I agree, but would add that although I think Frank Howard would be a suitable starting point guard, I would love to land one of the blue chip PG's that we have been going after. Quade Green or Matt Coleman would likely keep Frank coming off the bench. But, if we add Isaiah Washington, it would probably be a battle to see who starts. Either way, we need another PG to go along with the wings you mentioned. Also, Nick Richards would likely come in and split time with Chukwu at center and enable us to put Taurean Thompson at forward with Moyer. We would (will) be loaded again.

I agree with that. I was talking mostly of who we have for sure. Ideally I'd like to see SU get Green, O'Connell, Tucker, and Richards (or players of similar quality) in this class and add a grad transfer or two to fill out the roster.

I agree with that. I was talking mostly of who we have for sure. Ideally I'd like to see SU get Green, O'Connell, Tucker, and Richards (or players of similar quality) in this class and add a grad transfer or two to fill out the roster.

Those 4 seem very much in play at this point and I would be ecstatic. That said I think we bring in 5 freshman and a grad transfer at minimum. That would still only be 10 players. I really feel like we have to bring in a minimum of 6.

Those 4 seem very much in play at this point and I would be ecstatic. That said I think we bring in 5 freshman and a grad transfer at minimum. That would still only be 10 players. I really feel like we have to bring in a minimum of 6.
I agree, we need a good mix of likely "one and dones" and players that will last a few years, at least. But we need lots of guys. The best way to balance out the roster is to have a large class this year with guys like Green and Richards who may be one year guys along with guys like O'Connell and Tucker, who are really talented but would probably be around for at least 2 years, if not more.

I agree, we need a good mix of likely "one and dones" and players that will last a few years, at least. But we need lots of guys. The best way to balance out the roster is to have a large class this year with guys like Green and Richards who may be one year guys along with guys like O'Connell and Tucker, who are really talented but would probably be around for at least 2 years, if not more.
That scene was the first thing that jumped into my head after reading Orangefog's post. Thanks for posting it!

Each school has so many scholarships. They cannot sign everyone and everyone will not be able to play at once.