Class of 2017 - SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke

There is a good chance that O'Connell (Milton) and Tucker (Wheeler) will now face off here in GA. Hope it happens because I will be there!
I'm hoping one if not both those teams will come to Fort Myers for the City of Palms.

O'Connell's Duke offer has to come with the acknowledgement that he's going to be behind Kennard and possibly Gary Trent and Kevin Knox on the wing there? At least I would think...

^^^ That and Duke peeps believed only one of Oconnell Tucker and Samuels were getting an offer. They see Oconnell as a 4 year role player who might start his senior year lol. Must be nice

^^^ That and Duke peeps believed only one of Oconnell Tucker and Samuels were getting an offer. They see Oconnell as a 4 year role player who might start his senior year lol. Must be nice
Kid wants early PT. Thats our window, gotta sell that, and a chance to make his own mark somewhere new. Duke can't take everybody, most of these kids want to be the man, so it will help break up their pull a bit.

I think O'Connell gets the Duke offer because he's a legacy, they have spots he's a good player why not offer. Still he has to know he isn't their priority. They are not looking to bring him in to play big minutes right away and he has stated that available minutes is one of his big deciding factors.

I expect him to return home after his official to SU then commit verbally a few days after getting home.

I think O'Connell gets the Duke offer because he's a legacy, they have spots he's a good player why not offer. Still he has to know he isn't their priority. They are not looking to bring him in to play big minutes right away and he has stated that available minutes is one of his big deciding factors.

I expect him to return home after his official to SU then commit verbally a few days after getting home.
Sounds good to me.

That would be great.

I get his old man went there but if he goes there I think he is making a huge mistake. He is going to have his growth stunted and have to wait behind people he never should have. Also they will have guys come in over the top of him.

cuseinseattle said:
I get his old man went there but if he goes there I think he is making a huge mistake. He is going to have his growth stunted and have to wait behind people he never should have. Also they will have guys come in over the top of him.

Well, we hope that happens here too.

Man, that was fast and unexpected...
Perhaps they told him jump on it now, cause the other kid they were after, would take the spot. Unfortunate to say the least. Ugh

That was fast. So much for that visit we were all looking forward to! Have to agree with some of the other posters in that he likely will have trouble seeing the court.

Sucks. I like this kid's game / potential, and we have a major need on the wings for the class of 2017 that O'Connell could have helped fill.

I just threw up in my mouth.
Iommi you were pretty confident he would visit and potentially commit soon after, weren't you? Is this just a total shock for the program as far as you know?

I just threw up in my mouth.
I don't have your self-control. Booted all over my keyboard, screen, shirt and shoes. The way Duke recruits, we'll be looking at this kid as a transfer option in 2020. (Kidding ... sort of).

Iommi you were pretty confident he would visit and potentially commit soon after, weren't you? Is this just a total shock for the program as far as you know?

I was confident but lost a lot of it when Duke offered. He's a legacy. I still thought we had a great shot. It's too early for it to be a total shock for the program but as RF said, he would have filled a big need. I thought we'd get either him or Tucker, not necessarily both. I'm not thrilled Tucker is moving to Georgia but he knows us very well, so we should still be in the mix. According to Francis, we are really prioritizing Brandon Randolph.

Last edited: