Class of 2017 - SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke

Francis03

All American
6'6 SG from Georgia. Stated to the media at the NBPA camp yesterday that he plans to visit SU later this month. Thinks an offer might be made during the visit. Averaged 14 ppg on 50% shooting during EYBL play this spring. Had a big first day yesterday at the NBPA camp, which features all of the top players in the country that are not participating in the USA trials.

The Slim Reaper! He is one of the hotter prospects here in GA. He is a knock down shooter that can hit with a hand in his face from off the catch and from off of the pull-up. But he also has some bounce to his game and shows athleticism around the basket. Good vision too-- sees the floor well. His HS team (Milton) lost in the Final Four this year.

Andy Rautins 2.0? Kid has a quick release and he is very aware on defense. These are highlights, so of course grain of salt here. But kid looks like a player. Painfully skinny, and would obviously have to gain some weight, but very skilled.

6'6 SG from Georgia. Stated to the media at the NBPA camp yesterday that he plans to visit SU later this month. Thinks an offer might be made during the visit. Averaged 14 ppg on 50% shooting during EYBL play this spring. Had a big first day yesterday at the NBPA camp, which features all of the top players in the country that are not participating in the USA trials.

Dean is there a list of some sort out there that ranks the quality of the summer camps, AAU's, invitationals and so forth (im sure any list will be pretty subjective)? But I would love to know, when talking about a player, if they are playing against the highest level of comp or some where a bit lower down the line. Its always great to have highlight clips and stats but it would be sweet to have some point of reference to know who they are up against. Thanks man!

Dean is there a list of some sort out there that ranks the quality of the summer camps, AAU's, invitationals and so forth (im sure any list will be pretty subjective)? But I would love to know, when talking about a player, if they are playing against the highest level of comp or some where a bit lower down the line. Its always great to have highlight clips and stats but it would be sweet to have some point of reference to know who they are up against. Thanks man!
There isn't a list but as I stated in other threads the Nike EYBL is the #1 league for HS comp in the spring/summer. I think around 70 players in the latest ESPN 2017 top 100 played on EYBL teams. Adidas and Under Armour have their own leagues and camps as well, but most of our top targets play on the Nike circuit. As noted up top, this cat averaged 14 ppg at around 50% shooting in the EYBL this year. That's pretty good because he won't face any comp stiffer than that on a regular basis in HS.

Thanks Dean! I didn't think there was going to be much out there that would cite all the various leagues and levels etc. but thought it was worth asking. I do like the looks of this kid a bit more than the other shooter (from earlier this week) who was also doing well at the highest level, that's what kind of prompted the thought. In any regard its always great to have a point of reference when it comes to some of this stuff. We'd be lost with out ya bro.

Kid looks like he'd be a perfect complement to Quade, even if we don't get Ham/Tucker/Reddish, etc. I absolutely want shooters, shooters and more shooters and this kid would be a perfect fit on both ends of the court.

Thanks Dean! I didn't think there was going to be much out there that would cite all the various leagues and levels etc. but thought it was worth asking. I do like the looks of this kid a bit more than the other shooter (from earlier this week) who was also doing well at the highest level, that's what kind of prompted the thought. In any regard its always great to have a point of reference when it comes to some of this stuff. We'd be lost with out ya bro.
Thanks. Your question is a well valid one. It's a much better evaluation to put stock in a player that is being productive against good comp than not. Reminds me of the Kevin Huerter situation. You can look at him against local comp and take his production with a grain of salt. When he's doing the same thing against 5 star guys on the Nike EYBL circuit, then you gotta say yup this kid is legit.

Wow this kid looks like me when I was 16 skinny and baby face. Not what we're used to in these man child athletes that are normally in the 4 and 5 star range!

shorter arms than most BB players--for comparison Malachi's wingspan is 7 inches longer, but I like this kids game.

Have to feel good about this one. We are the creme of his current offers, he had a great visit, proximity to home not a factor, and planning to decide soon. I assume Duke won't offer, they have sights set higher than a mere 4 star legacy kid.

Have to feel good about this one. We are the creme of his current offers, he had a great visit, proximity to home not a factor, and planning to decide soon. I assume Duke won't offer, they have sights set higher than a mere 4 star legacy kid.
Especially since his dad didn't play for Coach K.

Have we officially offered him?