Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

It's fine and great to bring these types of guys in but the program (fans and staff both) need to actually show the patience to let these types of "investments" pay off. The last batch of program type guys we brought in like BJ, Buss, Joseph we got frustrated with too early and ran them off before they could actually become one of those guys who develop and give big contributions as a senior or junior. I know some of them didn't look great in minutes they were given early in their career but neither did Rautins, Southerland or Scoop - and no I'm not saying that's who all of them could've been just mentioning players who were given the time to develop and learn as underclassmen.

The staff and fans alike didn't expect some of these recent guys to give great minutes as freshmen and sophomores when signing and expected the solid contributions to pay off in a couple years. Then when exactly that script started to play out, admittedly the sanctions played a role, everyone said get them out of here so we can bring in new commits that never actually materialized and next year the roster will be void of exactly those types of program type upperclassmen.

Adding a program type perimeter scoring threat like BJ Johnson, a senior Buss's defensive intensity and measurables to the top of the zone this year when we were getting scorched at BC, or another senior ball handler like Kaleb Joseph who has been in the program 4 years to next year's team would be great.

Just need to show patience to let these types of guys become who we think they can be.
Buss and KJ were recruiting misses. Better (from a ball perspective) to open up the spot. They cantnolay at an ACC level.

It's fine and great to bring these types of guys in but the program (fans and staff both) need to actually show the patience to let these types of "investments" pay off. The last batch of program type guys we brought in like BJ, Buss, Joseph we got frustrated with too early and ran them off before they could actually become one of those guys who develop and give big contributions as a senior or junior. I know some of them didn't look great in minutes they were given early in their career but neither did Rautins, Southerland or Scoop - and no I'm not saying that's who all of them could've been just mentioning players who were given the time to develop and learn as underclassmen.

The staff and fans alike didn't expect some of these recent guys to give great minutes as freshmen and sophomores when signing and expected the solid contributions to pay off in a couple years. Then when exactly that script started to play out, admittedly the sanctions played a role, everyone said get them out of here so we can bring in new commits that never actually materialized and next year the roster will be void of exactly those types of program type upperclassmen.

Adding a program type perimeter scoring threat like BJ Johnson, a senior Buss's defensive intensity and measurables to the top of the zone this year when we were getting scorched at BC, or another senior ball handler like Kaleb Joseph who has been in the program 4 years to next year's team would be great.

Just need to show patience to let these types of guys become who we think they can be.
Part of the problem with Kaleb and BJ may not have been with the program but with the players themselves. If you're not producing on the court you shouldn't expect to be playing any type of major role which is what most transfers want. It takes a lot for a kid who was a star in highschool to accept a role where he's lucky to get on the court for a year or two especially when you have people in your ear all the time telling you you're good enough to be in the NBA. Being a program guy is hard for a lot of kids to except and i don't think the guys people keep bringing up saw themselves as program guys but rather they thought they were superstars. They all came in as top 100 guys and expected big roles right away. When it didn't happen or they ended up in the dog house the easiest thing to do was transfer to a lesser program where they could be the big fish again rather than accept the fact they aren't as good as they thought they were. Same thing seems to be happening with Frank Howard. It will be interesting to see if he stays and tries to get better in the system to be a real. Player as a senior or transfers at the end of the season. Also it's going to be interesting to see Kaleb next year at Crighton where he's not guaranteed a starting role with the team they have.

Not many kids who are highly touted players in highschool are willing to accept a role where they are sitting on the bench for two years. This is where the lost scholarships really hurt us we couldn't go after program guys because we needed all of our scholarship players to contribute right away. JB has been able to do more with a short roster than any coach in the NCAA but the lack of scholarships eventually came back to bite us in the butt. All those lost scholies should be 3rd and 4th year players ready to produce next year. As for the terrible recruiting this year well there's somethings no one can explain.

He sounds like exactly the kind of kid we should be adding at least one of to the roster each season. Maybe, he could even help next year.

However, that being said, he doesn't sound like the pure PG that will be an absolute must have for next season.

He sounds like exactly the kind of kid we should be adding at least one of to the roster each season. Maybe, he could even help next year.

However, that being said, he doesn't sound like the pure PG that will be an absolute must have for next season.

Agreed. He's not a point guard at all. My question is: why aren't recruiting one? I know it's slim pickings but I don't get it.

Agreed. He's not a point guard at all. My question is: why aren't recruiting one? I know it's slim pickings but I don't get it.

I think we'll need a starting caliber PG, a starting caliber 2G [I assume Battle will shift to 3], and backcourt depth -- need to add all three of these things in the class of 2017.

Ayala could give us the starting caliber 2. Duarte could provide the depth [along with Battle scoring a few minutes at stop gap PG]. Still need to land a starting caliber 1, though.

And all of the above STILL assumes a lot -- namely, Battle returns, we land Ayala, Ayala reclassifies successfully, etc.

Battle is never moving to 3. He's going to be the 2 as long as he stays and when he goes to the NBA. He's also quickly becoming a very good defender in the top of the zone. Our offense does not require a traditional 1. If you have guys that can handle the ball well enough against pressure, we don't need a pure "1". We do need guys that when they get into the lane, they can finish, not miss 4-5 semi-contested layups per game. I like Duarte and Ayala (as a reclass) in 2017, and we need to go hard after everyone on our list in 2018.

Battle is never moving to 3. He's going to be the 2 as long as he stays and when he goes to the NBA. He's also quickly becoming a very good defender in the top of the zone. Our offense does not require a traditional 1. If you have guys that can handle the ball well enough against pressure, we don't need a pure "1". We do need guys that when they get into the lane, they can finish, not miss 4-5 semi-contested layups per game. I like Duarte and Ayala (as a reclass) in 2017, and we need to go hard after everyone on our list in 2018.

Nonsense. He'll play 3 if nobody else on the team is added who can start at 3--and right now, there is nobody on net year's roster who is suited for the position.

Considering we have room at the inn. This kid should be getting the royal treatment even if he is just a rotation player.
We need a full roster of 11 scholarship kids next year.

Nonsense. He'll play 3 if nobody else on the team is added who can start at 3--and right now, there is nobody on net year's roster who is suited for the position.

Only thing is he and his dad want Tyus handing the ball a lot. I agree that at this point he's our best 3 for next year. People are justifiably concerned about PG but we lack 3's too. It's getting very tough to not doubt the staff. Trying to fill holes with 5th year transfers isn't exactly a plan. That's panicking.

Last edited:
a class of Sidibe, Brisset, Duarte, Ayala and either Washington or Zachery would be very solid. Add RS Frosh Moyer and you have a strong core of program players going forward.

I'd rather take the time to rebuild with those guys than to try the one-year re-load again with graduate students, then have to look for yet another big class in 18.

a class of Sidibe, Brisset, Duarte, Ayala and either Washington or Zachery would be very solid. Add RS Frosh Moyer and you have a strong core of program players going forward.

I'd rather take the time to rebuild with those guys than to try the one-year re-load again with graduate students, then have to look for yet another big class in 18.

Zachery is '17. Was this is a mistake or might he reclassify?

Zachery is '17. Was this is a mistake or might he reclassify?
I've seen him listed as both 17 and 18. Originally 17 but said he would take a post-grad year in prep school, I believe. So he is technically available as a 17 should he choose to be

He's suppose to prep after this season and join the 2018 class.
Yeah, thought he was '18. That's why I responded to his post. I forgot question mark after the first question in my response to Oraiste.

We absolutely need a pure PG. Have you not watched our offense the past 3-4 years? It's horrendous and the main issue is not having a floor general.

The key country to target in recruiting is not the USA, Canada, Croatia, etc. We need to target Latvia, home of The Unicorn - Kristaps Porzingis. Latvia has been a hotbed for basketball talent ranging back to the 1940s...Just to name a couple: Andres Biedrins, Kristaps Porzingis. Always a superior competitor in Olympic Basketball, Latvia is a country to be reckoned with.

We absolutely need a pure PG. Have you not watched our offense the past 3-4 years? It's horrendous and the main issue is not having a floor general.
I agree, I think a combo can be a suitable backup PG in a pinch, but we should always have a true PG on the roster, even if he is only 6' tall. We would all like to have the 6'5 PG every year, but converting SG's to play PG won't have a high success rate. Personally, I would prefer to have two true PG's on the roster ever year spaces apart by 2 classes. That is hard to maintain because of early departures, but we don't have enough developmental players. Hopefully that changes as we put the sanctions behind us.

The key country to target in recruiting is not the USA, Canada, Croatia, etc. We need to target Latvia, home of The Unicorn - Kristaps Porzingis. Latvia has been a hotbed for basketball talent ranging back to the 1940s...Just to name a couple: Andres Biedrins, Kristaps Porzingis. Always a superior competitor in Olympic Basketball, Latvia is a country to be reckoned with.
Ahhhh...so you are the Governor of Latvia?

This Chris Duarte kid is certainly good, but don't we need a guy more like Greg Ostertag? We need production at the Center position

This Chris Duarte kid is certainly good, but don't we need a guy more like Greg Ostertag? We need production at the Center position

We need a good PG foremost. Duarte isn't a PG. But Duarte would provide backcourt depth.

Our offense has been horrendous the last 3-4 years because we gave 30 minutes a game to someone who missed 554 3's in his career...(and also couldn't finish at the basket) I agree that we need a leader, like MG was last year, I just don't think it necessarily has to fit in the true PG box.