Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

The key country to target in recruiting is not the USA, Canada, Croatia, etc. We need to target Latvia, home of The Unicorn - Kristaps Porzingis. Latvia has been a hotbed for basketball talent ranging back to the 1940s...Just to name a couple: Andres Biedrins, Kristaps Porzingis. Always a superior competitor in Olympic Basketball, Latvia is a country to be reckoned with.
Latvia? We don't even go south of Mason Dixon and now we're going to Latvia?

That's why we need Dean Francis as one of our main lead recruiters going forward.

At the very least he should be a recruiting consultant pointing our efforts in the right direction. It's weird how long we wait to offer some of these N.E. stud players and then we don't seem to really chase them. Recruiting needs to change significantly IMO. I don't know what the answer to the problem is but we need to step it up.

Nonsense. He'll play 3 if nobody else on the team is added who can start at 3--and right now, there is nobody on net year's roster who is suited for the position.

I'd like it if we got away from the trend of playing SGs at SF. We did it with Malachi and the results were not good (with the exception of the NCAAT run, obviously). If we're going to have to play guys out of position, I'd rather play a non-shooting Forward at the 3 than stick a guard there.

I'd like it if we got away from the trend of playing SGs at SF. We did it with Malachi and the results were not good (with the exception of the NCAAT run, obviously). If we're going to have to play guys out of position, I'd rather play a non-shooting Forward at the 3 than stick a guard there.

Not me. Battle is 6-7. He's got plenty enough size to play the back line of the zone, and with a year of additional physical development, he'd be adequately strong enough.

What good is playing a PF with no perimeter skills there, to imbalance the offense? Because that's really what the discussion is about. Doing so would be awful for our floor balance, perimeter spacing, and outside shooting. We saw how that worked out with Lydon playing the three this year -- and at least he had one aspect of his game that lent itself to perimeter play [shooting].

And the Battle to 3 speculation is entirely predicated upon Ayala coming here to man the 2.

I respectfully disagree. The way the game is going, we need as many shooters on the floor at the same time. I think to run an efficient offense, aside from having a true SF, a SG skills more fit with what we need than the typical PF we have. That is why having Lydon at the SF position didn't work too well. He is highly skilled, but when matched up with a SF, he was pretty much neutralized. A guy like Battle, who is tall enough to play the position, albeit not his best position, can still be productive. Having someone like Moyer or Brisset play the SF would stifle the offense.

I respectfully disagree. The way the game is going, we need as many shooters on the floor at the same time. I think to run an efficient offense, aside from having a true SF, a SG skills more fit with what we need than the typical PF we have. That is why having Lydon at the SF position didn't work too well. He is highly skilled, but when matched up with a SF, he was pretty much neutralized. A guy like Battle, who is tall enough to play the position, albeit not his best position, can still be productive. Having someone like Moyer or Brisset play the SF would stifle the offense.

A SG in the back line of the zone obliterates our defense, though. Can't protect the rim, can't board. With how dependent our defense is on having the weak side forward rotate into the paint to defend at the rim, I'd be more comfortable with a big guy there, even if he just has a midrange jumper.

Not me. Battle is 6-7. He's got plenty enough size to play the back line of the zone, and with a year of additional physical development, he'd be adequately strong enough.

What good is playing a PF with no perimeter skills there, to imbalance the offense? Because that's really what the discussion is about. Doing so would be awful for our floor balance, perimeter spacing, and outside shooting. We saw how that worked out with Lydon playing the three this year -- and at least he had one aspect of his game that lent itself to perimeter play [shooting].

And the Battle to 3 speculation is entirely predicated upon Ayala coming here to man the 2.

He is not 6'7"

A SG in the back line of the zone obliterates our defense, though. Can't protect the rim, can't board. With how dependent our defense is on having the weak side forward rotate into the paint to defend at the rim, I'd be more comfortable with a big guy there, even if he just has a midrange jumper.
Understandable, but we don't know how Battle would perform in the back of the zone. He has a high basketball IQ and he is a hell of an athlete.

We Gbinije into a very good PG at 6'6. We can do the same with Battle.

He's a plus at the top of the zone though. Maybe our biggest plus defensively. Moving him negates that.
Can't argue that, you don't want to hurt both positions. But it is about putting a team on the floor that can compete, and the SF position could be a problem next year, and people are spitballing possible solutions. I happen to agree with RF, based upon his assumption that we get Ayala, that Battle at the 3 would be our best bet at having a competitive team next year.

We made the FF last year playing a SG at SF, although we had plenty of struggles. Its not ideal but its not the worst thing either. The game is trending more and more toward offensive skill so a 6-5+ guy playing at the SF isn't as much of a handicap as it once was. The issue for SU is that the more length you have across the board the better it is for the 2-3. If we have good options at the PG and SG other than Battle next year and no good options at the SF then I could easily see Battle starting at the SF.

We made the FF last year playing a SG at SF, although we had plenty of struggles. Its not ideal but its not the worst thing either. The game is trending more and more toward offensive skill so a 6-5+ guy playing at the SF isn't as much of a handicap as it once was. The issue for SU is that the more length you have across the board the better it is for the 2-3. If we have good options at the PG and SG other than Battle next year and no good options at the SF then I could easily see Battle starting at the SF.

I see Battle as being the only disruptor at the top of the zone. We've seen that most newbies don't usually get the job done up there, and I don't have much confidence that some 4-star, last minute recruits are going to do the trick. Battle's advantages on defense will probably be negated by moving him out of position, too. So it makes us a worse defensive team, imo, significantly so.

I see Battle as being the only disruptor at the top of the zone. We've seen that most newbies don't usually get the job done up there, and I don't have much confidence that some 4-star, last minute recruits are going to do the trick. Battle's advantages on defense will probably be negated by moving him out of position, too. So it makes us a worse defensive team, imo, significantly so.

Not moving him would make us an exponentially worse OFFENSIVE team, if forced to play Moyer / Brisset at 3.

Not moving him would make us an exponentially worse OFFENSIVE team, if forced to play Moyer / Brisset at 3.

2 stabs in the dark...

Brisset is going to be a very good/great offensive threat, possibly even as a Freshman. He projects best as a 4, but I can see him getting some minutes at the 3 depending on what else we have on the floor.

Durate - you already know I'm a big fan - is going to play (assuming he signs). I will be in the minority here on this, but I like his skill set even more that Ayala's.

Arguably our best PG in the last 10-15 years was only about 6'2" While height certainly helps, we need to stop being enamored with it.

What if TT makes a CJ Fair-esque improvement to his 3 point shot? That could change things.

Ideally Battle is back and starting at the 2 because that would mean we found answers at the 1 and 3 which would be great. After the way this season has gone down with the lineups I find it hard to believe that JB or Hop will be willing to field a dysfunctional offensive group to start the season. So I completely understand posters considering that Battle may play at the 3. Even in a perfect world where Lydon and Battle are back next year we still have questions at the 3. It is what it is at this point.

Ideally Battle is back and starting at the 2 because that would mean we found answers at the 1 and 3 which would be great. After the way this season has gone down with the lineups I find it hard to believe that JB or Hop will be willing to field a dysfunctional offensive group to start the season. So I completely understand posters considering that Battle may play at the 3. Even in a perfect world where Lydon and Battle are back next year we still have questions at the 3. It is what it is at this point.
agreed but I would assume the Battle camp would not be on board

So back to Chris Duarte:

6'5 Point Guard Chris Duarte Mixtape @ The TofC!

Looks like a little MCW in his game. Before people freak out, I'm not implying that he'll be a lottery pick and NBA ROY, just that he's 6'5 and looks longer than that, plays combo guard in HS, and while he doesn't look like the most athletic guy on the court when he has the ball, he looks very athletic when he drive, jumps, and dunks.

So back to Chris Duarte:

6'5 Point Guard Chris Duarte Mixtape @ The TofC!

Looks like a little MCW in his game. Before people freak out, I'm not implying that he'll be a lottery pick and NBA ROY, just that he's 6'5 and looks longer than that, plays combo guard in HS, and while he doesn't look like the most athletic guy on the court when he has the ball, he looks very athletic when he drive, jumps, and dunks.

Anyone in the Troy/Albany area able to comment on this kid? Curious if anyone has had the opportunity to see him play. Where the heck does this HS? play? I grew up across the river and never even heard of it before I moved away.