Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

You're right. He was measured at 6'6 1/2" over the summer, though I acknowledge he doesn't look it.
There is a photo of Jason Capel interviewing him after the last win. Capel was listed at 6'8" and Battle looked within two inches of him.

There were a lot of people assuming that the Battle camp wouldn't be on board with him playing anything other than point guard.

Yeah, he and his dad want him handling the ball a lot- a focus of the offense, in other words. I think he's best at the 2, but he can certainly play the 3. And he's a very good rebounder. He could easily put up AW3's rebounding numbers next year if he plays the 3 more.

There is a photo of Jason Capel interviewing him after the last win. Capel was listed at 6'8" and Battle looked within two inches of him.

I think part of why he doesn't always look his height is he tends to slouch a little in games. :noidea:

I think part of why he doesn't always look his height is he tends to slouch a little in games. :noidea:

It is strange he looks really short for 6-6 but he certainly plays to that length. He is starting to become a legit terror on defense.

You're right. He was measured at 6'6 1/2" over the summer, though I acknowledge he doesn't look it.

With or without shoes? The last measurement without shoes, before coming here, has him at 6'5". The without shoes measurement is the one that counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is strange he looks really short for 6-6 but he certainly plays to that length. He is starting to become a legit terror on defense.

I thought he'd be an ideal defender but he had positioning issues- was getting sucked in too deep in the lane. Now he's coming out and aggressively dogging the ball handlers, which plays to his strengths.

One thing I will add is that he has good shot-blocking instincts, not a huge deal but can lead to run outs.

Duarte is a mystery. When guys get hurt, they fall off the radar. Hope the staff is right on him and he commits. He's supposed to be versatile. I just wish we knew more about him. Can he defend? Does he make guys around him better? I'm concerned about his frame. Looks like another guy who needs a ton of work in the weight room, so could he help us next year?

Last edited:
With our without shoes? The last measurement without shoes, before coming here, has him at 6'5". The without shoes measurement is the one that counts.

I forget which it was. Yes, that does make a difference. He also said he's a shade under 6'7" for what that's worth.

2 stabs in the dark...

Brisset is going to be a very good/great offensive threat, possibly even as a Freshman. He projects best as a 4, but I can see him getting some minutes at the 3 depending on what else we have on the floor.

Durate - you already know I'm a big fan - is going to play (assuming he signs). I will be in the minority here on this, but I like his skill set even more that Ayala's.
Brissett has no jumpshot right now not even mid range. It's the biggest hole in his game. He's an athlete but if we have to depend on him to hit jumpers we're in real trouble

Brissett has no jumpshot right now not even mid range. It's the biggest hole in his game. He's an athlete but if we have to depend on him to hit jumpers we're in real trouble

I definitely hear you and I know you are from the Toronto area.

I'm basing my take on Brissett on these guys:

Leo Rautins: "The first thing I said when I saw him play was if I was a college coach, I'd be on this kid's doorstep. I've watched him play a bunch of times and he's a talented kid. He's athletic, he's a two-way player, he can rebound. And I don't want to say this to compare him, but he has an Andrew Wiggins body. He's really long and athletic. He can shoot, too. There's a lot of kids that have that kind of body and just rely on the body, but this kid can shoot the ball, too. So I think he's going to be really good."

Nathan Johnson, Orangeville Prep coach. Orangeville and Athlete Institute share the same facilities: "Awesome kid, very coachable. He's really athletic. He can really play that 3-4. Extremely skilled. He can jump out of the gym and is really a fantastic kid. In all honestly, Syracuse got a steal. He's amazing. "

Elias Sbiet, national recruiting analyst at North Pole Hoops: "He's freakishly athletic. He uses his length really well to block shots with his timing. And he's a good help defender. I think he's really going to help Syracuse. He definitely fits the mold, especially in that zone defense. He's going to be able to slide over in time to help. He's going to be able to play different positions. His offense is an area that has continued to improve, his shooting touch and his skills around the rim. He does still need to get better from the perimeter. I see him as a four or a three at the college level. I think he's a huge pickup. I think he's an NBA prospect, depending on how he develops."

I love this kids game long term. The comparison to Grant was spot on. He has the athletic ability to be a beast but he really does need to work on his jumper to be able to play the 3 at a high level. I'm not saying he isn't a player, I actually see him as underrated but the biggest weakness in his game right now is his j. I think it will come with time and practice but offensively I wouldn't expect much from him at the 3 next year.

I love this kids game long term. The comparison to Grant was spot on. He has the athletic ability to be a beast but he really does need to work on his jumper to be able to play the 3 at a high level. I'm not saying he isn't a player, I actually see him as underrated but the biggest weakness in his game right now is his j. I think it will come with time and practice but offensively I wouldn't expect much from him at the 3 next year.
Agree, the comparisons are very similar! Think he's got a ton of upside! Hopefully he does develop his jumper a bit earlier than Jerami did. Jerami was just starting to hit the 10-12 footer when he left, and actually has become a serviceable, but not great 3 point shooter in the NBA.

I forget which it was. Yes, that does make a difference. He also said he's a shade under 6'7" for what that's worth.

I was about 10 feet away from them last night next to the bench all game and when standing next to each other I commented to my buddy that Battle was barely an inch shorter than Coleman. Maybe he does have some bigger shoes and Coleman is closer to 6'8" than his listed 6'10 but either way Battle has to be pretty close to 6'7" or just a tad under.

I was about 10 feet away from them last night next to the bench all game and when standing next to each other I commented to my buddy that Battle was barely an inch shorter than Coleman. Maybe he does have some bigger shoes and Coleman is closer to 6'8" than his listed 6'10 but either way Battle has to be pretty close to 6'7" or just a tad under.

I'd wager that, in reality, DC is more like 6'8", Moyer is probably 6'7", and that Battle is at least 6'6".

Have seen pics of Battle and Moyer together this year, and they're basically the same height.
And neither is much shorter than DC - who is most definitely not 6'10".

Agree and proof is in the pudding:
  • Passes Kobe test? Check.
img_1499.jpg

• Passes Matty Nice test? Check 1-2.
CNmlwk8UAAEs5b_.jpg

• Passes the Jalil/Day Tripper test? You know the time!
battleduke.png

Kid's legit 6'6 according to the "rules" everybody (except Rothstein) plays by.

Agree, the comparisons are very similar! Think he's got a ton of upside! Hopefully he does develop his jumper a bit earlier than Jerami did. Jerami was just starting to hit the 10-12 footer when he left, and actually has become a serviceable, but not great 3 point shooter in the NBA.
It was crazy how Jerami hit 0 threes in his last year at SU, but in the first half of his rookie year at Philly, he was hitting them at over 40%. Unfortunately he hit a rookie wall and went into a bad slump after that and went down to the low 30's later that season. He's actually at 41% this season for OKC so far. We'll see if he can sustain that. Maybe MCW needs to hire Grant's shooting coach.;)

It was crazy how Jerami hit 0 threes in his last year at SU, but in the first half of his rookie year at Philly, he was hitting them at over 40%. Unfortunately he hit a rookie wall and went into a bad slump after that and went down to the low 30's later that season. He's actually at 41% this season for OKC so far. We'll see if he can sustain that. Maybe MCW needs to hire Grant's shooting coach.;)
Jerami has at least good form to work with. MCW still to me looks like he has a two handed push shot, that just happens to occur over his head! Such a crime...great passer and a fabulous defender! He'll never see regular minutes again if he doesn't fix that!

I'd wager that, in reality, DC is more like 6'8", Moyer is probably 6'7", and that Battle is at least 6'6".

Have seen pics of Battle and Moyer together this year, and they're basically the same height.
And neither is much shorter than DC - who is most definitely not 6'10".

DC2 is 6'8" w/o shoes. It's tough to find a height for Moyer. Listed 6'8" so probably 6'7" w/o shoes, like you said. So we're agreed, that probably puts Battle at 6'6". If that's the case with Battle, then he grew an inch after his senior year in high school, which is unusual but also not rare.

If we can get this kid and Ayala - I'd really look forward to next year. We'd have a stud in Battle - and solid pieces around him in TT, Brissett, Moyer, Duarte and Ayala. After Battle and TT most likely leave after next year we'd have a solid core in Oshae/Moyer/Duarte/Ayala going forward. We can still go heavy with the 2018 class and really come back loaded.

Get him and Ayala and all of sudden it's not "doomsday" like most here think

If we can get this kid and Ayala - I'd really look forward to next year. We'd have a stud in Battle - and solid pieces around him in TT, Brissett, Moyer, Duarte and Ayala. After Battle and TT most likely leave after next year we'd have a solid core in Oshae/Moyer/Duarte/Ayala going forward. We can still go heavy with the 2018 class and really come back loaded.

Get him and Ayala and all of sudden it's not "doomsday" like most here think

Point guard? We better net one of our top '18 targets or it is, in fact, doomsday.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
FWIW - a buddy of mine who is pretty connected in the NYC/NY prep and AAU scene said that Chris is a tyus battle clone as far as pros/cons with his game but didn't think he was Cuse caliber player.

FWIW - a buddy of mine who is pretty connected in the NYC/NY prep and AAU scene said that Chris is a tyus battle clone as far as pros/cons with his game but didn't think he was Cuse caliber player.
Eh, we've got a ton of ships. Is he better than a walk-on?

Eh, we've got a ton of ships. Is he better than a walk-on?

No clue (I'm sure he is though). He didn't go in depth about it but kept giving me grief on us passing up Isaiah Washington. Told him I don't want to talk about it LOL

No clue (I'm sure he is though). He didn't go in depth about it but kept giving me grief on us passing up Isaiah Washington. Told him I don't want to talk about it LOL
Oh, he's right to. That was not our smartest move.