Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

I know it is just a highlight reel, but I really like what I see. The kid has a point guards vision. He is skinny, but he looks like he might be able to contribute early. I would love to see a full game.

He is really thin. Seems we rarely get a guy who we say, "wow, that kid is jacked."

Huerter was about his build too, no? Both skinny. This kid looks like he understands the game well. Smooth cat.

Kind of a hybrid of MCW and Andy Rautins. Both painfully skinny, but that is a little less of an issue at the top of the zone. Anybody make it to the Hoophall to see him in action? The though of bringing both he and Eric Ayala in would offer the chance to even out some of the roster deficiencies going forward ( unless Battle leaves, and then we're screwed either way. Man this started out as such a positive outlook type of post)

I really do like what I've seen of both Duarte and Brissett

Would I have liked to get elite players like Quade or Richards...yeah. However Brissett, Sidibe and Durante...throw in Ayala and you have 4 kids that are good talents going under the radar with a chip on their shoulders...dangerous. Brissett is legit as well as Ayala. That being said when Durante is fully healthy as shown in the highlights he can score, and has great size. This class may not be glamourous but is likely going to be all 3-4 year players that produce!

Would I have liked to get elite players like Quade or Richards...yeah. However Brissett, Sidibe and Durante...throw in Ayala and you have 4 kids that are good talents going under the radar with a chip on their shoulders...dangerous. Brissett is legit as well as Ayala. That being said when Durante is fully healthy as shown in the highlights he can score, and has great size. This class may not be glamourous but is likely going to be all 3-4 year players that produce!

Think that is a key. As long as we are running zone and a high screen motion offense we are not going to be a plug and play system like Kentucky. We saw this year that players need time to learn the system so we need a core group with some continuity and in the one-and-done / 5th year transfer era that is difficult if you are always going after the top rated talent. Build that core then supplement it with a stud or two to put you over the top.

I don't disagree.

The issue that a class like this has is what is the immediate impact? In years past, we'd be fine adding a 4-man class like this, but right now we absolute need players for 2017-2018. I'm sure some or even all 4 of them would contribute, but the mess we are in right requires more. That's why losing a Quade was so painful. This 4-man class with a returning nucleus of TT, Battle, Moyer, Howard?, Chukwu is a really, really poor team for '17-18. Adding proven scoring/shooting and a PG in the grad market will again be a must, and probably still won't be enough.

I'm hoping that if we can land Duarte and Ayala that we will be building the foundation for '18-'19 and beyond because I think next year is shaping up as much worse than this year. We'll need those kids to pan out and be the backbone for the Hop transition. Let's hope we can secure their commitments and get this thing turned around.

I don't disagree.

The issue that a class like this has is what is the immediate impact? In years past, we'd be fine adding a 4-man class like this, but right now we absolute need players for 2017-2018. I'm sure some or even all 4 of them would contribute, but the mess we are in right requires more. That's why losing a Quade was so painful. This 4-man class with a returning nucleus of TT, Battle, Moyer, Howard?, Chukwu is a really, really poor team for '17-18. Adding proven scoring/shooting and a PG in the grad market will again be a must, and probably still won't be enough.

I'm hoping that if we can land Duarte and Ayala that we will be building the foundation for '18-'19 and beyond because I think next year is shaping up as much worse than this year. We'll need those kids to pan out and be the backbone for the Hop transition. Let's hope we can secure their commitments and get this thing turned around.
Understand what you're saying. Right now I think a trio of Tyus, Thompson and Durante will do most the scoring. I think Moyer, Brissett and Ayala will average around the 5-8 ppg next year. Don't expect a whole bunch out of Sidibe next year but I think he can surprise, he's an underrated athlete, will depend on how many second chance points he is able to get as that is where most his offense will come from

I would be shocked if we do not grab a couple players from the grad transfer/JUCO market again this year to round out the team. As I said last year at this time, I would also love to pick up a regular transfer, a kid that might not have got the time as a freshman at a program who could come in sit out a year and redshirt a la Michael Gbinije. We will most certainly have the scholarships available, and having a kid come in learn the zone and the program for a year while he gets a little stronger cant hurt long term.

Understand what you're saying. Right now I think a trio of Tyus, Thompson and Durante will do most the scoring. I think Moyer, Brissett and Ayala will average around the 5-8 ppg next year. Don't expect a whole bunch out of Sidibe next year but I think he can surprise, he's an underrated athlete, will depend on how many second chance points he is able to get as that is where most his offense will come from

I'm going to rest a LOT easier if [hopefully: when] we land Duarte and Ayala...

Not trying to sound defeatist, but we are in such dire straits in terms of backcourt quality / depth, that if we don't land AT LEAST these two, we're in big trouble heading into the spring. That would mean that all of our eggs would then be in the 5th year transfer basket [barring some JUCO transfer, which is a route we typically do not go, or some complete unknown international guy].

#1, I'd hate to put ourselves in that position
#2, I am not going to feel confident until Duarte commits given that he's starting to garner more interest now
#3, Ayala reclassifying is no guarantee

Really, really need to land both of them.

Last edited: