Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Not saying I'm an expert by any means, but watching Ayala today in Springfield, here's what I took away. He has nice size (listed at 6-5) and is gritty, willing to go hard to the rim without reservation - which is something we have lacked this year except for Battle the past few games. He had the upper body strength and a reasonably tight handle that allowed him to plow into the lane time and again when Putnam needed to make something happen against a talented Vermont Academy team. While the shots didn't always fall, there was often a lot of contact. But the officials were very consistent throughout in allowing the physical stuff to occur. What I most liked about Ayala - and this was much different from what I saw in years past at the Hoop Hall Classic with Lydon and Howard - is that he wanted to be "the guy." He was fearless and aggressive to a fault, which might explain why he was only 7-18 from the floor. He was also a tough defender, at times drawing the assignment of playing the 6-10 Simi Shittu (This kid is a talent!). At the free-throw line, Ayala made 6 of 9, including a big one in the final seconds, although he did miss the second shot that would have put his team up 3. As for his outside shot (again, a minuscule sample size), to be blunt, it looked ugly. He was 0-3 and not even close. With regard to him playing the point - as has been suggested - he did have 5 assists or so, but he seemed more at ease attacking from the wings with the intention of slashing for the layup rather than the dish. (Actually, teammate Jaheim Cornwall was more effective and smoother running the point. But I'm not sure he has the size - he's listed at 6-1 but looked smaller - nor the speed that our coaches seem to demand.) Bottom line, if Ayala does reclassify and come our way in the fall (it did trouble me that I think UConn had 3 coaches there, and we only had Hop), he would instantly inject us with a tough competitor who would give us another much-needed weapon at the rim.

He'd be crazy to go to UConn next year. They're going to be loaded at the guard position with 4 talented players. He wouldn't even sniff the court.

He'd be crazy to go to UConn next year. They're going to be loaded at the guard position with 4 talented players. He wouldn't even sniff the court.

Would they be recruiting him for next year though? Seems to me like the natural thought here is that they are not expecting him to reclassify, like we are hoping for, and instead continue to be a 2018 recruit.

Can we PLEASE refocus this thread back on Eric Ayala--who is a very important recruit for our program's immediate future--and take these sidebar discussions elsewhere?

Thank you.

Agreed. Do we have any updates?

Would they be recruiting him for next year though? Seems to me like the natural thought here is that they are not expecting him to reclassify, like we are hoping for, and instead continue to be a 2018 recruit.

All of their 4 guards next year will be returning in 2018.

Since I'm a novice in this area. How quickly does the reclassification process occur? If it involves the NCAA, which I know it does, it'll be lengthy!

I 100℅ agree. It seems people have been posting nonsense out of frustration recently. Does anyone have an update on Ayala? An article on . . . today had SU and UCONN as the frontrunners if he reclassified to 17 but he has a lot more options if he stays in 18. It looks to me like getting him in next year will be a real long shot.

I don't think it's a long shot. A kid like this wants to play right away. He can play right away here. Assuming he gets his test scores in line, I think a reclassification might happen. Just my opinion.

Can we PLEASE refocus this thread back on Eric Ayala--who is a very important recruit for our program's immediate future--and take these sidebar discussions elsewhere?

Thank you.

Yes. The staff is working this situation hard. Ayala would be a very important addition to next year's team.

Yes. The staff is working this situation hard. Ayala would be a very important addition to next year's team.
I have to imaine we're a very intriguing situation for Ayala. Not only could he get to college 1 year earlier, but he could have a very prominent role on an upper tier ACC team

Thank you.
Yes sorry you are right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom