Class of 2017 - SG Lonnie Walker (PA) to Miami | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Lonnie Walker (PA) to Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like walker is AZ bound. Kind of worrisome here it looked like cuse was in line for the best class in history with a UK type setup of so many openings and offers out to most of the top guys in the country, but besides Quade it looks like they are unlikely to get any. Maybe Ham, which with Quade and some of the lesser 4/3 star guys would make for a solid class as well. But its starting to feel like Quade is a complete MUST at this point, and Ham is a longshot while ship completely sailed on Walker.

sounds like walker is AZ bound. Kind of worrisome here it looked like cuse was in line for the best class in history with a UK type setup of so many openings and offers out to most of the top guys in the country, but besides Quade it looks like they are unlikely to get any. Maybe Ham, which with Quade and some of the lesser 4/3 star guys would make for a solid class as well. But its starting to feel like Quade is a complete MUST at this point, and Ham is a longshot while ship completely sailed on Walker.
His official visit is this weekend, isn't it?

If we can pull Quade, Diallo and Bresset that's a pretty sweet setup for a better than normal class for Syracuse. Bresset is undervalued in my opinion, kid is gonna be awesome. grab a couple more four stars and we golden. Everyone is so doom and gloom.

According to Verbal Commits, which is pinned under the BB Recruiting page, Arizona already has 14 scholarship players identified on their roster next year. The NCAA limit is 13 players. This does not include Walker, Bamba, or anyone else that may have offers from Arizona. To take another player for 2017, Arizona would have to get creative like redshirt at least 2 players next year or get rid of two players (through transfers, go pro, quitting the team).

Maybe they project Atkins and Simmons as one and done candidates.

If we can pull Quade, Diallo and Bresset that's a pretty sweet setup for a better than normal class for Syracuse. Bresset is undervalued in my opinion, kid is gonna be awesome. grab a couple more four stars and we golden. Everyone is so doom and gloom.
Plus, a pick up 5th year guy and on we go.

That's how I see it, too. This is shaping up to be a 6-7 player class. The formula will probably be to land 3 this fall [Green, Brisset, Sidibe], actively pursue another 1-2 blue chip prospects into the spring, seek out a developmental player [or two] with upside, and look for another grad transfer Wing / 2G to help fill that roster hole on next year's team.

75 of the top 100 on ESPN are signed. Diallo, Walker and Tucker are out there for 2/3 positions. After that it gets dicey finding someone who will be ready to play next year unless we decide to go after someone like MJ Walker.

Love Brissett. We have 5 guys for the 4/5 next year, if he and Sidibe sign. It's figuring out who's going to score next year.

According to Verbal Commits, which is pinned under the BB Recruiting page, Arizona already has 14 scholarship players identified on their roster next year. The NCAA limit is 13 players. This does not include Walker, Bamba, or anyone else that may have offers from Arizona. To take another player for 2017, Arizona would have to get creative like redshirt at least 2 players next year or get rid of two players (through transfers, go pro, quitting the team).

Redshirt players are still on scholarship.
That's a common misconception.
It wouldn't help their situation.

They would need multiple players to leave via NBA draft, transfer, or "walk on" like Drummond did at UConn.

Don't understand how Zona can get so many top guys, and we have PT galore to offer and we've still yet to land a single one?

Curious. What prospects were we in line for that made you think we were going to be a "UK setup"? I read just about everything posted on this site, Francis's podcasts, and the Scout website and have only seen one five star (who was previously a four star) QG reported as a solid SU lean. In each other case SU was noted as in the mix. I never saw SU credibly reported as leading for any top prospect other than QG, only that we were in some top prospects final choices. For example Walker, Bamba, Richards, Preston, Duval, while expressing interest in SU at least at one point in time (Duval) they have not been noted as leaning toward SU but more likely long shots. Diallo may be the exception but has kept things very close to the vest. All I have seen is some speculation that he may want to play with QG but that is it. Just speculation, nothing directly from him or folks that credibly speak for him that SU is anything more than in the final mix. Fans from UCONN and I think Kentucky also seem to think they are his likely college destination. I suspect Randolph might have been a bit of an unpleasant surprise for our staff but he is a four star and not pursued by Kentucky to my knowledge.

Just a side note; our national championship team had only one highly ranked player. Carmelo Anthony rated the number 1 prospect by ESPN. Gerry McNamara was rated (71). Craig Forth (unranked?), Hakim Warrick (31) Billy Edelin (56) Josh Pace (maybe top 30). Don't think Kueth Duany or Jeremy McNeil were ranked but I might be wrong. If they were it wasn't UKesque.

Curious. What prospects were we in line for that made you think we were going to be a "UK setup"? I read just about everything posted on this site, Francis's podcasts, and the Scout website and have only seen one five star (who was previously a four star) QG reported as a solid SU lean. In each other case SU was noted as in the mix. I never saw SU credibly reported as leading for any top prospect other than QG, only that we were in some top prospects final choices. For example Walker, Bamba, Richards, Preston, Duval, while expressing interest in SU at least at one point in time (Duval) they have not been noted as leaning toward SU but more likely long shots. Diallo may be the exception but has kept things very close to the vest. All I have seen is some speculation that he may want to play with QG but that is it. Just speculation, nothing directly from him or folks that credibly speak for him that SU is anything more than in the final mix. Fans from UCONN and I think Kentucky also seem to think they are his likely college destination. I suspect Randolph might have been a bit of an unpleasant surprise for our staff but he is a four star and not pursued by Kentucky to my knowledge.

Just a side note; our national championship team had only one highly ranked player. Carmelo Anthony rated the number 1 prospect by ESPN. Gerry McNamara was rated (71). Craig Forth (unranked?), Hakim Warrick (31) Billy Edelin (56) Josh Pace (maybe top 30). Don't think Kueth Duany or Jeremy McNeil were ranked but I might be wrong. If they were it wasn't UKesque.
I agree with you. We had a chance for a great class this year and some of it is slipping away. That is life.
Okay, why do we need to be "UK sequel". I yearn for the days where we kept our players for 3-4 years and developed a team chemistry. I have been following Syracuse for a long time and The one and done is BS. If High School players want to forego college and go to the Pros, let them go and try, but they don't make it, dont offer them college as an alternative. If they choose to go the college route, then they should stay the course for 4 years.

Last edited:
I read this sentiment a lot, and it disturbs me. I know, given the math, it's the way we are likely to go. But teams that consistently have to rely on transfers to compete are not in a good long term position. I'm not criticizing the poster, but I just don't think we should be so easy-breezy with "oh, we'll just add a transfer or two." it's a warning sign that things may not all be well structurally.

I read this sentiment a lot, and it disturbs me. I know, given the math, it's the way we are likely to go. But teams that consistently have to rely on transfers to compete are not in a good long term position. I'm not criticizing the poster, but I just don't think we should be so easy-breezy with "oh, we'll just add a transfer or two." it's a warning sign that things may not all be well structurally.
I respectfully disagree. The 5th year transfer option is a result of top recruits staying 1-2 years in college. Unfortunately, we are not Duke or UK that can sign 3-5 top 30 players every year. The NCAA penalties also created this lack of depth we've seen the past few years.

You may be right, but the 5th year transfer rule is relatively new and the results are incomplete. I think with one and done players, the 5th year market is crucial in off setting the unexpected departure of players like Malachi Richardson. I think over the next few years, we are going to see quite a few successful teams have one or two 5th year transfers. It is what I would prefer, but I do want Syracuse to do whatever it needs to remain competitive year in and year out.

If players are only going to stay one year anyway then 5th year guys are a great option. Far less risk, far more maturity and the only cost is they have less potential upside compared to a transcendent freshman. But those are exceedingly rare.

So the chatter in the Quade thread was that it was unknown to unlikely that Walker was even coming this weekend, then had one poster say he's heard he is there. Do we know if he has/is coming for his official or nah?

So the chatter in the Quade thread was that it was unknown to unlikely that Walker was even coming this weekend, then had one poster say he's heard he is there. Do we know if he has/is coming for his official or nah?
He wasn't at the dome he was at a football game back home .

Redshirts count against your roster limit.

If Walker didn't show for the bball game last night, pretty much says it all. For next year we can look at a 5th yr free agent and select SG targets in 2018 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.