Class of 2017 - SG Lonnie Walker (PA) to Miami | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Lonnie Walker (PA) to Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officially offered today, this makes me very happy. Number one guy I want in this class that we have a realistic shot at. Keep that Team Final pipeline moving

How do you like your chances right now? Walker can flat out play.

He and Quade would be a great coup for '17. An added bonus too would be keeping them away from Nova and not letting them add big momentum after their championship run.

Ok, so if we are feeling good about Diallo and we just offered Walker (who wants to play PG in college), what does that mean for Green? I can't see us taking all three, although it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen, I just don't see them wanting to all come in together. So, something has to give here.

Ok, so if we are feeling good about Diallo and we just offered Walker (who wants to play PG in college), what does that mean for Green? I can't see us taking all three, although it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen, I just don't see them wanting to all come in together. So, something has to give here.

First come first serve, ya snooze ya lose

Last edited:

Well, you don't get everyone you offer. You don't promise every player everything they want. And you don't immediately start every player you get.

"More anything? More everything!"
635906473986878638-1866215035_tumblr_m4n5xc6Fbc1qza49co1_500.png

orangefog said:
Based on what's happening with our guards and this offer I have to think Diallo is a re-class to 2016.

He didn't say that he wants to play PG in college. Larry Brown suggested to him that he could be good enough to play PG down the line. Personally imho he's better off the ball, but I can't argue with Larry Brown's vision.

No rule states that we can only recruit one or the other. Just recruit all of these guys hard and whoever commits then it's all gravy. Don't want to limit our options and then end up with the next Ron Patterson because we missed out on a main target.

Well, you don't get everyone you offer. You don't promise every player everything they want. And you don't immediately start every player you get.
Of course you don't get every player you offer, but if each has a committable offer, the staff has to assume each player will commit to SU. Of course as mentioned above, first come first serve, so it may be the first two to commit. I don't think you promise players anything but the chance to compete for playing time. Some situations are more attractive than others. We may have very few returning players, which means a great chance at playing time for these players. Most top 30 players are looking for PT immediately, if they see a log jam, they move on.

He didn't say that he wants to play PG in college. Larry Brown suggested to him that he could be good enough to play PG down the line. Personally imho he's better off the ball, but I can't argue with Larry Brown's vision.

No rule states that we can only recruit one or the other. Just recruit all of these guys hard and whoever commits then it's all gravy. Don't want to limit our options and then end up with the next Ron Patterson because we missed out on a main target.
Ah, I thought he wanted to play PG. I agree with you, if you like this kid, offer him and take how ever many we have room for. I think you mentioned that Diallo can be a lead guard, if need be, is that correct?

How do you like your chances right now? Walker can flat out play.

He and Quade would be a great coup for '17. An added bonus too would be keeping them away from Nova and not letting them add big momentum after their championship run.

Novas thought to be the leader but we will see, have a great shot with philly/team final connection, PT for 17 class and hes the type of guard that flourishes in our system

Of course you don't get every player you offer, but if each has a committable offer, the staff has to assume each player will commit to SU.

OMG, what is UCONN doing then???:bat::bat:

But in all seriousness, you ALWAYS offer more than you can take. Sometimes, as you say, it's on a first-come, first-serve basis, but other times, it's clearly communicated to a kid that you want him, but that he's second in line.

OMG, what is UCONN doing then???:bat::bat:

But in all seriousness, you ALWAYS offer more than you can take. Sometimes, as you say, it's on a first-come, first-serve basis, but other times, it's clearly communicated to a kid that you want him, but that he's second in line.
SU does things a little differently than UCONN, no? JB doesn't offer every kid and then sort it out later. He selects a few and then goes after them hard. Often you can get an idea of what is happening in the program based on the time of the offer. This isn't always the case. But, it at least leaves room for speculation.

Ah, I thought he wanted to play PG. I agree with you, if you like this kid, offer him and take how ever many we have room for. I think you mentioned that Diallo can be a lead guard, if need be, is that correct?
I put him in the position that I call the Dion role at SU. Just a bucket getter that can make plays with the ball. You want guys like Frank and Quade to handle the majority of the PG duties, then have guys like Walker, Diallo, and Battle shut down during crunchtime.

Francis03 said:
I put him in the position that I call the Dion role at SU. Just a bucket getter that can make plays with the ball. You want guys like Frank and Quade to handle the majority of the PG duties, then have guys like Walker, Diallo, and Battle shut down during crunchtime.
odds on Diallo?

odds on Diallo?
I can't even do that right now because there is so much that needs to play out. Is he definitely staying in 2017? His prep school is red flagged by the NCAA. He's lusting for an offer from Kentucky. I know he really like SU, the coaches, and the visit made a good impression on him. So we'll just have to see if the old man still has the recruiting touch to land a top 10 player when all of the other big dogs come to play. I could easily see us focusing more on Walker if this drags out for a bit and JB loses his patience.

I can't even do that right now because there is so much that needs to play out. Is he definitely staying in 2017? His prep school is red flagged by the NCAA. He's lusting for an offer from Kentucky. I know he really like SU, the coaches, and the visit made a good impression on him. So we'll just have to see if the old man still has the recruiting touch to land a top 10 player when all of the other big dogs come to play. I could easily see us focusing more on Walker if this drags out for a bit and JB loses his patience.

Good to have you back Francis. Theoretically these 3 players, can you rank them 1-3? I follow recruiting but haven't been as involved recently do to work and life getting in the way. After ranking them, can you maybe rank them 1-3 on our odds on getting each one? thanks bud

Good to have you back Francis. Theoretically these 3 players, can you rank them 1-3? I follow recruiting but haven't been as involved recently do to work and life getting in the way. After ranking them, can you maybe rank them 1-3 on our odds on getting each one? thanks bud
So that we're on the same page, you're talking about 3 players such as Green, Walker, and Diallo right? Or somebody else?

This kid "Diallo" would put us on top. Add Green and that would give us the PG with game that we haven't had in awhile. But I love Walkers games a lot. Wake me up when it is over. lol

So that we're on the same page, you're talking about 3 players such as Green, Walker, and Diallo right? Or somebody else?

Sorry, yes. Talking about those 3 cause that seems to be the 3 guards were most involved with. Know diallo may reclass, but nothing guarenteed and they are all 2017, I believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.