Class of 2017 - SG Lonnie Walker (PA) to Miami | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Lonnie Walker (PA) to Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant paste it here, but there is a free article over on rovals talking with Lonnie about the five schools that he is visiting, of which we are the last. Sounds like it would be tough for him to pick anyone other than Villanova, but it's always great to get that last visit ( unless they shut it down early. )

Cant paste it here, but there is a free article over on rovals talking with Lonnie about the five schools that he is visiting, of which we are the last. Sounds like it would be tough for him to pick anyone other than Villanova, but it's always great to get that last visit ( unless they shut it down early. )

Yep. I don't think we have much of a shot here. He's a great player but can't get 'em all. We are probably in a distant third place at best IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

Syracuse- "They are basically saying that they can make me a way better guard than almost anybody else can. They have great assistants. Gerry McNamara and Coach Mike Hopkins are great, intense and exciting coaches. I feel like they can make me a better guard overall with my handling, shooting and overall feel."

Villanova- "It's really not even an approach anymore. It's just a bond now. They aren't worrying about telling me that I'm a priority because we've already been through those things. They are just saying we want you, we really love your game, you would fit here and it's close to home. There's so many factors that make them strong and I'm only 45 minutes away. The last three or four years I've really built a great bond with coach Jay Wright."

Syracuse- "They are basically saying that they can make me a way better guard than almost anybody else can. They have great assistants. Gerry McNamara and Coach Mike Hopkins are great, intense and exciting coaches. I feel like they can make me a better guard overall with my handling, shooting and overall feel."

Well that's encouraging.

Villanova- "It's really not even an approach anymore. It's just a bond now. They aren't worrying about telling me that I'm a priority because we've already been through those things. They are just saying we want you, we really love your game, you would fit here and it's close to home. There's so many factors that make them strong and I'm only 45 minutes away. The last three or four years I've really built a great bond with coach Jay Wright."

And that's what we are up against. A very strong connection with a good coach and local program. Sounds like we are closing hard but can we close the gap and pass them?

jordoo said:
And that's what we are up against. A very strong connection with a good coach and local program. Sounds like we are closing hard but can we close the gap and pass them?

I think we have one chance. Has anyone got any video of Jay Wright hanging out with Donald Trump?

LOL

Trump ads *TRIGGERED*

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161011-081205.png
    Screenshot_20161011-081205.png
    805.9 KB · Views: 99
Article up on espn about his recruitment for those with insider: Will Arizona pull five-star Lonnie Walker away from Villanova?

For those w/o, here's the blurb about us, they have Arizona as the favorite for him as of now.

Contender: Syracuse

i
The Orange don’t necessarily have a natural recruiting base near the school, but Jim Boeheim and his staff have been able to effectively and consistently recruit Philadelphia and its surrounding areas for the last several years. More specifically, they have dipped into the Team Final AAU program -- the same one Walker played with the last few years -- and landed players on a regular basis. From Dion Waiters to Rakeem Christmas to Malachi Richardson, it’s difficult to beat Syracuse in Philadelphia. And Walker (and Quade Green) is next on that list. Andrew White was a very good late addition for the wing this season, but Boeheim needs some scoring punch for 2017-18.

“They produce great guards,” Walker said. “They know how to play you, they know how to make them better, make IQ better, overall game. That’s a great factor, their guard play.”

Syracuse is expected to get his final official visit.

Article up on espn about his recruitment for those with insider: Will Arizona pull five-star Lonnie Walker away from Villanova?

For those w/o, here's the blurb about us, they have Arizona as the favorite for him as of now.

Contender: Syracuse

i
The Orange don’t necessarily have a natural recruiting base near the school, but Jim Boeheim and his staff have been able to effectively and consistently recruit Philadelphia and its surrounding areas for the last several years. More specifically, they have dipped into the Team Final AAU program -- the same one Walker played with the last few years -- and landed players on a regular basis. From Dion Waiters to Rakeem Christmas to Malachi Richardson, it’s difficult to beat Syracuse in Philadelphia. And Walker (and Quade Green) is next on that list. Andrew White was a very good late addition for the wing this season, but Boeheim needs some scoring punch for 2017-18.

“They produce great guards,” Walker said. “They know how to play you, they know how to make them better, make IQ better, overall game. That’s a great factor, their guard play.”

Syracuse is expected to get his final official visit.

Malachi is a Philly player? News to me.

What about Syracuse?
"Just a great background. They bring out great guards. You got Malachi Richardson, you got one of the great assistant guard coaches in Gerry McNamara and he can make me a way better shooting guard, handling wise, my IQ, my overall game he can bring that out."

This (2nd question about staying home) is a little more promising...

Villanova…What sticks out about them? And how’s your relationship with those guys?
"Just the fact that they’ve been here for like four years. They’re one of the first schools to offer me, recruiting me the hardest, saying I’m a priority, and they’re still recruiting me one the hardest out of all the schools, still saying I’m a priority so that means a lot. And then, more so, even when they call its even about basketball anymore it’s just building a bond, ‘How’s your day going? How’s your family? And this, that and the third.’ So, it’s actually a lot different compared to all the other college coaches."

Is there a draw with them to stay home?
“That’s not even a factor. Not at all. First I think, is always like I want my grand mom to be able to be hopefully at least one of my games. You know, she’s getting a little bit older so that’s been one of my dreams being able to talk to all the schools if they can make it happen.”

Safe to say we can rule out Zona now

Yes, to sum up, it's a three team race apparently. Nova, UK and SU. I've mentioned here that I know someone who is very good friends with Jay Wright. He has reiterated a bunch of times what is said above, that Walker and Jay are extremely close. Same with a few guys on the staff. They'd be tough to beat. He does love UK and SU as well.

I'm not sure we've ever really made Walker priority #1, though obviously we've been in on him a long time. Still, we can tell him the playing time will be there (even if Battle returns). Plus, we do pretty well with kids from Philly. (And grandma can make it to a bunch of games.) Nova has had tremendous success with guards as well, though, and just cut down the nets. UK is UK and he loves them.

Tough spot for us but the staff doesn't really have any other choice right now, unless Diallo decides to go to college. In the spring, we can revisit Tucker and look for plan b candidates.

Played close to Philly at TCA a few seasons and of course, his AAU team (Team Final). Should have been "philly area" player.

Right, but he's not really a Philly player. Born and raised in NJ. Family still lives in Trenton and both his schools were Jersey. Come on, tee, you're supposed to back me on that--you're a Jersey guy! Calling MR a Philly guard is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.