Class of 2015 - SG Malachi Richardson (NJ) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 SG Malachi Richardson (NJ) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
It counts for something. Before they committed to SU, they were all higher ranked players according to ESPN. Kind of looks like we don't get the cream of the crop when we should be, if any of the live games or streams have taught me anything. Malachi for instance, blew up against the best of the best in AAU ball. Looking like a beast on team USA. He drops 20-25 slots? Future prospects think we are a level lower than Zona, Kansas, UNC etc if all this perception influences them. Pretty sure it does.
In my eyes, if I was a top talent, it wouldn't matter where a school's prior prospects were ranked. I would want to go to a school with a winning history, and I'd say Syracuse fits the bill. Of course I'm not a 17 y/o kid hoping to make the NBA so what do I know?:noidea:

In my eyes, if I was a top talent, it wouldn't matter where a school's prior prospects were ranked. I would want to go to a school with a winning history, and I'd say Syracuse fits the bill. Of course I'm not a 17 y/o kid hoping to make the NBA so what do I know?:noidea:
Well, you probably have the right way of it. But I still say that this perception counts. Look at Kentucky. Seems like this bias in their favor has had a huge impact on their recruitment in recent years. Same for Duke. Just inflated. UK lands a 5'10 guard and he just shoots up the rankings. This inflation causes some misguided perception. But you're right. Probably doesn't have a huge effect on the kids. Except for UK, Duke and a few others.

Well, you probably have the right way of it. But I still say that this perception counts. Look at Kentucky. Seems like this bias in their favor has had a huge impact on their recruitment in recent years. Same for Duke. Just inflated. UK lands a 5'10 guard and he just shoots up the rankings. This inflation causes some misguided perception. But you're right. Probably doesn't have a huge effect on the kids. Except for UK, Duke and a few others.

The only defense I have in this is that I got to see Ulis some this week. Kid has a great second gear and plays three steps ahead. Pure PG.

The only defense I have in this is that I got to see Ulis some this week. Kid has a great second gear and plays three steps ahead. Pure PG.
No doubt about it. He's very quick. Might compete with the bopsy twins for run this year.

All the ratings do is make us feel good about who we are getting. It is a 50-50 crapshoot as to whether or not they have any accuracy in terms of what a kid might do at the next level. Well, maybe a 70 - 30 crapshoot is more accurate.

Some recent examples - Arinze & Andy weren't even Top 100 kids when recruited. Two of our recently highest ranked recruits are X & DC2, who have by and large disappointed in varying degrees. I never even heard of Lydon & Moyer until just before they committed - relatively out of the blue, though at least both of those guys were (barely) inside the top 100 at the time of their commitments. As of now, Lydon has moved up very nicely and the odds are Moyer will move up strongly as well in the next two seasons. As of now, I am sold that Lydon will be a big factor for us at some point down the road. Gotta see how Moyer comes along before I can say the same about him or not (my overall expectations are high, but he has a lot of work to do on his J, but at the very least he has a chance to contribute in the way that Jerami did).

Now, I will be the first to say that if you get a Top 25 ranked kids the odds are much better that he will contribute as compared to a kid outside the Top 100, but so mannnnny exceptions. All in all, I have have trust in the staff to get guys who can ball, unfortunately, not so much trust that those guys will be played when they should be played.

friday-damn.jpg

Richardson makes shooting 3's look effortless and judging by that last video he is physically ready for the ACC right now. I'm very excited to be bringing in an Alpha mentality scorer.
Also of note, since it was an international event the 3pt line was further out to 22ft. So Mali knocking down those 3's with little effort is even more impressive.

Also of note, since it was an international event the 3pt line was further out to 22ft. So Mali knocking down those 3's with little effort is even more impressive.
Amen brother Francis! The days of the Cuse struggling to put up points is soon to be behind us. Lydon too will be helping the Cuse return to the day of 3 digits up on the scoreboard. The staff has recruited toward the end of maintaining our defensive acumen while not doing so at the cost of a diminished offensive game. Long and defensive capable players who can also put us up some offensive numbers too. I'm also psyched to see the return of the fast break / transition oriented game and someone not named Trevor who can also put up 3s.

Anyone notice how when the interviewer said "talk about Syracuse..." and the smile starts to slowly develop? That was fantastic. Starts at 3:43.

Is that a banana in your pants or are you just thinking about playing for the Orange in the Dome?

Just wanted to say that I think Malachi's gonna be a stud for us. I like his game. I like his attitude. I like his work ethic.

I can't wait to see him on the floor as an Orangeman ... oops, an Orange (see? that doesn't work so well does it?).

Francis, or one of the other knowledgeable posters on here, how many years do you think that SU fans will have the opportunity to enjoy watching Malachi play for SU? I know lots of things can happen, but he doesn't seem like a 4 yr player to me, and I was just wondering what the Guru's thought about that?

VJ King's recruitment got me thinking a lot about how much time JB & Hop really think they will have Malachi.

Francis, or one of the other knowledgeable posters on here, how many years do you think that SU fans will have the opportunity to enjoy watching Malachi play for SU? I know lots of things can happen, but he doesn't seem like a 4 yr player to me, and I was just wondering what the Guru's thought about that?

VJ King's recruitment got me thinking a lot about how much time JB & Hop really think they will have Malachi.
I think he'll be around for at least 2-3 yrs. His ball handling has improved but if he ever becomes fully comfortable taking players off the bounce to go along with his shot then watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom