Class of 2018 - SG Robby Carmody (PA) to Notre Dame | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Robby Carmody (PA) to Notre Dame

This kid went for 42 and 18 Friday night. He is not in prime Cuse recruiting territory (Western PA), but I hope the coaches can lock this kid up. I imagine he'll get the inevitable Cooney comparisons, but to me he looks more versatile, agile, and bigger than Cooney.

Is there even a Syracuse mention in that diary entry?

Definitely a little strange that Cuse wasn't mentioned, given the info that we are looking good here. I would chalk it up to poor reporting, but, this blog is written by the kids' father, which means, Cuse wasn't in his mind, when he was penning it. Bummer.

Oh, and screw you Kentucky. Ugh

Yeah, if this was written after the offer went out, and there was not one single mention of Cuse, I think we can safely assume there is not mutual interest. Hell, Butler and SC got name dropped over us! Hopefully that changes, looks like a solid player.

I'm sorry guys I keep saying this to you. There is something really wrong with our recruiting and coaches. It just isn't getting any better. I can't wait to tell a few on here, I told you so.

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys I keep saying this to you. There is something really wrong with our recruiting and coaches. It just isn't getting any better. I can't wait to tell a few on here, I told you so.
I'll agree that the coaching has been questionable. Our recruiting has been different in that we went after a group of guys at a level that historically we don't land(other than a few outliers), and surprise surprise we didn't land them. The only real problem is that we didn't keep any backup plans. So if you are referring to not having a backup plan, then you are right, and unless some miracles happen, we are in for some really dud years. But overall, our recruiting hasn't taken as much of a dip as you think. Many of us want to think that we can compete in recruiting with the UK, Duke, Kansas's of the world, but history has proven that we just can't.

I'll agree that the coaching has been questionable. Our recruiting has been different in that we went after a group of guys at a level that historically we don't land(other than a few outliers), and surprise surprise we didn't land them. The only real problem is that we didn't keep any backup plans. So if you are referring to not having a backup plan, then you are right, and unless some miracles happen, we are in for some really dud years. But overall, our recruiting hasn't taken as much of a dip as you think. Many of us want to think that we can compete in recruiting with the UK, Duke, Kansas's of the world, but history has proven that we just can't.

I want to question you on that statement. Yes, we did not land the guys we went after, but, I am not sure they were at a level that we don't win our share at. In fact, the recent losses, were late bloomers, Quade Green and Brandon Randolph most notably, that were in the mid 50's or so, and have only jumped up in this last year. Very similar to MCW, Ennis, etc. The difference was we couldn't land them in their soph/junior years, which should have been the hint to move on. In typical Cuse fashion, our coaches identified them early, and we had as good a shot as any at them. Nick Richards is a kid we were in on early, but, I think we saw the writing, when he didn't visit, and started talking about his dislike of zone defenses. Mo Bamba was never coming here, and the coaches knew it. The Randolph recruitment is weird, and the rumors on this board lend some credence to what might have happened there. Quade is what it is. Moral of my rant, besides Richards, we aren't going after the top 10 kids, that UK, Duke, Kansas typically get. We made a run at that kid who committed to KU recently, but, only because a late window presented itself (Oak Hill connections), and I hope the coaches always do that when presented. Brissett, Sidibe, those are our type of recruits. The true error imo was putting all our eggs in one or two baskets, adding on top of that, the sanctions, which are hurting our depth. Otherwise, I don't believe our strategy in terms of the type of player we targeted was much different than years past.

I want to question you on that statement. Yes, we did not land the guys we went after, but, I am not sure they were at a level that we don't win our share at. In fact, the recent losses, were late bloomers, Quade Green and Brandon Randolph most notably, that were in the mid 50's or so, and have only jumped up in this last year. Very similar to MCW, Ennis, etc. The difference was we couldn't land them in their soph/junior years, which should have been the hint to move on. In typical Cuse fashion, our coaches identified them early, and we had as good a shot as any at them. Nick Richards is a kid we were in on early, but, I think we saw the writing, when he didn't visit, and started talking about his dislike of zone defenses. Mo Bamba was never coming here, and the coaches knew it. The Randolph recruitment is weird, and the rumors on this board lend some credence to what might have happened there. Quade is what it is. Moral of my rant, besides Richards, we aren't going after the top 10 kids, that UK, Duke, Kansas typically get. We made a run at that kid who committed to KU recently, but, only because a late window presented itself (Oak Hill connections), and I hope the coaches always do that when presented. Brissett, Sidibe, those are our type of recruits. The true error imo was putting all our eggs in one or two baskets, adding on top of that, the sanctions, which are hurting our depth. Otherwise, I don't believe our strategy in terms of the type of player we targeted was much different than years past.
Yeah I understand that, I guess I worded it wrong, and agree that we used to lock kids up early, but no one really does that anymore. I don't mind the targets, but with the change of no one committing early anymore, my biggest concern was not having any backup plans.

But yes, my main point was arguing that our recruiting is not our problem right now, as I agree with you, it hasn't much changed.

Maybe GMac should stick to auto commercials.

Why would you say this? Or, more correctly, why would an SU fan say this?

You will be happy to rub it in other people's face that the team you supposedly are a big fan of, has a major problem on the recruiting front?

I really am a fan of SU, and I would never even think of hoping that the program has a problem...

First of all it would not be to rub it in their faces, it would be to make a point that I was trying to make to them.. I wish nothing bad on the team either. If you have been watching the last couple years and the recruiting to me has been terrible. We have spent all this time on Q.Green and as far as I am concern got a good old fashion slap in the face. I just feel these coaches can not recruit and or teach our players how to play as a team.. I loved when they played for us, but coaching is a different story. You watch the games now, and you will see so much inconsistency in this team and to me it starts with the coaches and it ends there. You can be a fan but if you can't be honest and say what you really feel,good and bad, then you are a phony. By the way these are just my opinions and probably the only one that really matters to, is me. lol

First of all it would not be to rub it in their faces, it would be to make a point that I was trying to make to them.. I wish nothing bad on the team either. If you have been watching the last couple years and the recruiting to me has been terrible. We have spent all this time on Q.Green and as far as I am concern got a good old fashion slap in the face. I just feel these coaches can not recruit and or teach our players how to play as a team.. I loved when they played for us, but coaching is a different story. You watch the games now, and you will see so much inconsistency in this team and to me it starts with the coaches and it ends there. You can be a fan but if you can't be honest and say what you really feel,good and bad, then you are a phony. By the way these are just my opinions and probably the only one that really matters to, is me. lol
I'm fully on board the team chemistry being a problem, and maybe the player development to a small extent, but once again recruiting is not really that big of a problem. Our hall of fame coach announcing his exit date plus sanctions has hurt us more than anything on the recruiting front. We just had a few misses, like kaleb, buss, chino, etc. But you can't forget that these last couple classes also had Tyus, Mali, Lydon, TT.

Quade is very good, but he's not program changing good, like Melo was and yeah he did us dirty, but that doesn't show a major flaw in recruiting.

I'm fully on board the team chemistry being a problem, and maybe the player development to a small extent, but once again recruiting is not really that big of a problem. Our hall of fame coach announcing his exit date plus sanctions has hurt us more than anything on the recruiting front. We just had a few misses, like kaleb, buss, chino, etc. But you can't forget that these last couple classes also had Tyus, Mali, Lydon, TT.

Quade is very good, but he's not program changing good, like Melo was and yeah he did us dirty, but that doesn't show a major flaw in recruiting.
You raise a few good points also but my concern on the recruiting was we spent a lot of time on Green and lost out without a backup plan. We should have worked Coleman or Washington more and took the first to commit. I believe it would have been Washington and personally I feel he is as good as Green and may be better in so areas. Now we are stuck without a proven pg and hope that something good will fall into our lap. At this point we are hurting big time for pg, sg and wings. jmo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom