Class of 2018 - SG Robby Carmody (PA) to Notre Dame | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Robby Carmody (PA) to Notre Dame

Don't underestimate the effects of the sanctions on our recruiting recently. People seem to be forgetting we don't have as many coaches on the road as everyone else and thus don't have as much contact with these kids. Granted that may not have helped with the 5* guys but it certainly would have made a difference. The lost scholarships may not have been the worst part of the sanctions. The diminished presence on the recruiting circuit was probably the most damaging in the end.

You raise a few good points also but my concern on the recruiting was we spent a lot of time on Green and lost out without a backup plan. We should have worked Coleman or Washington more and took the first to commit. I believe it would have been Washington and personally I feel he is as good as Green and may be better in so areas. Now we are stuck without a proven pg and hope that something good will fall into our lap. At this point we are hurting big time for pg, sg and wings. jmo
100% agree...the no backup plan was just plain stupid.

IF a kid tells you for months he is coming, and he is the guy you want, why have a back up plan?
I get that and I get that he pretty much played us, but in the end this is a business and if the recruits are treating it as such, then why don't we?

IF a kid tells you for months he is coming, and he is the guy you want, why have a back up plan?
You are dealing with 17 and 18 year old kids that change their mines more than they change their underwear. This has become a business today and any kind of business you better have a back up plan or you may be out of business soon. If our recruiting doesn't get better soon, we will be out of business. jmo

I know I may sound naive, but is it wrong to be honest and tell a kid we love his game, but we have a program to worry about and if you don't jump at this opportunity now we are opening it up to someone else?

Well, in this particular case we needed more than one guard, so...

When a kid tells you he's coming, but fails to commit for months, that's a pretty good indication that you aren't on as solid of footing as hoped.

He was the guy we wanted, but as the recruitment dragged from the sublime into the ridiculous, to have no alternatives in the pipeline in the event things didn't work out put us at risk of coming up empty with no player to fill a key roster need. And that's exactly what happened.

Cutting off recruiting not one but several other top notch PG prospects who were interested in SU to go all-in on Green was a horrible strategic decision.

I watched him play at the WPIAL Playoffs last night at North Allegheny HS (Mars vs Hampton). Carmody's team (Mars) was upset in a very tight game (61-59).

Some thoughts (from a non-expert):
-He has a very quick release on his jumper
-He reminded me a lot of Trevor Cooney (quick release, similar form, similar build)
-At the HS level he was able to bully his way to the basket and was able to pretty much take his man one-on-one at will. He was the Mars offense in the 2nd half
-He needs some work defensively, but already has a great offensive game (scored 31 of the 59 Mars Points). I'm not sure he would play right away here unless his defense improves.
-Seems to have some competitive fire
-He is really the only legit player on his team. Mars is not even close to the top seed in the WPIAL w/o him. I have watched a lot of HS basketball in this area since my brother in law is on one of the other teams.
-Trailing by 3 Hampton tried to intentionally foul him so that he didn't have a chance to take a 3. As they fouled him he threw up a shot from just across half court... that went in! The refs ruled the foul happened before the shot so instead of an and-1 3-pointer it was fould shots. Carmody made the first and intentionally missed the second. Hampton got the rebound. Game Over.

He is a nice player who reminded me a lot of Trevor Cooney, and a little less like Andy Rautins. It will be interesting to see where he goes. I wore my Syracuse jersey to the game but I didn't see any of our coaches.

When a kid tells you he's coming, but fails to commit for months, that's a pretty good indication that you aren't on as solid of footing as hoped.

He was the guy we wanted, but as the recruitment dragged from the sublime into the ridiculous, to have no alternatives in the pipeline in the event things didn't work out put us at risk of coming up empty with no player to fill a key roster need. And that's exactly what happened.

Cutting off recruiting not one but several other top notch PG prospects who were interested in SU to go all-in on Green was a horrible strategic decision.
As in life, hindsight is 20-20. If they fended off Kentucky, the "you're our only guy" strategy would have been trumpeted.

As in life, hindsight is 20-20. If they fended off Kentucky, the "you're our only guy" strategy would have been trumpeted.

But they didn't, so it isn't. Nor should it be -- just because a poorly conceived strategy happens to work out doesn't mean that it was smart.

Not sure that response was worth the 2 months it took you to come up with it, because the point you are making is nonsense. It was not a smart decision to put all of our eggs in one basket, eschewing other high rated players who'd expressed an interest in coming here. Period. It shouldn't take hindsight to understand this lesson.

Last edited:
I still don't understand the plan. We need multiple guards. We went all in on one guard.

He'd still only be one guard.
We went all in on one point guard. We were still recruiting shooting guards.

We were? A certain 5 star SG said we weren't.:noidea:
Yeah, but weren't we after Randolph, Lonnie Walker, Hamidou Diallo...? I can't remember, was Lonnie the one that said that we weren't?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom