Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

ALL of the reports about this kids (and Trevon Duval) should've said "Syracuse is working the hardest for him."

SU's recruiters should be busting their butts to get this kid. Losing him to St. Johns would be a crime.

Kev

sometimes they get busy making runs to the final four.
ALL of the reports about this kids (and Trevon Duval) should've said "Syracuse is working the hardest for him."

SU's recruiters should be busting their butts to get this kid. Losing him to St. Johns would be a crime.

Kev

Kev

This is amusing he is a top priority for us. I'm not sure that he is, at this point he is a wing shooter. Not great size for the 3 in our system not the skill for the 2 IMO. Southerland is the best comparison I can think of and he was longer but it still took quite a while for him to develop. I am by no means down on Tucker. He's a good prospect but I'm not sure he's an impact player 1st year and I suspect we are prioritizing other targets.

I also think people overlook how great a shooter Quade Green is.

Last edited:
This is amusing he is a top priority for us. I'm not sure that he is, at this point he is a wing shooter. Not great size for the 3 in our system not the skill for the 2 IMO. Southerland is the best comparison I can think of and he was longer but it still took quite a while for him to develop. I am by no means down on Tucker. He's a good prospect but I'm not sure he's an impact player 1st year and I suspect we are prioritizing other targets.

I also think people overlook how great a shooter Quade Green is.
I look at him as a Mali type. Better suited at the 2, but will most likely play a lot of 3. Is a legit 6'6, but isn't long as Mali. Mali has a near 6'11 wingspan. Has a quick trigger release and has put up numerous big scoring outings over the years. If we're looking at him as a player to round out a recruiting class then I think he's fine. If we're counting on him to be one of our lead guys then that's where the concern comes in. Also at this point we're not talking about the most mature kid out there. He's dealt with multiple suspensions each season. Hopefully it's stuff that he'll grow out of because supposedly he's not a bad kid.

Isn't Tucker a Kris Joseph type 6'7 wing which we haven't had in awhile

BJ Johnson - not good enough for this level
Mali- 2 guard playing out of position

No, his skill set is nothing like Kris Joseph's.
I agree, kind of the opposite of Kris Joseph. Joseph was more of a slasher that learned to shoot later on. Tucker is a shooter who has to develop the rest of his game, if I remember correctly.

I've never been impressed with Tucker. He looks like the definition of one-dimensional. I hope we go elsewhere. As Francis said, if he's a complimentary piece, maybe we bring him in. I hope we have big and better targets on the top of our list.

I agree, kind of the opposite of Kris Joseph. Joseph was more of a slasher that learned to shoot later on. Tucker is a shooter who has to develop the rest of his game, if I remember correctly.
His ball handling and passing was a little bit better when watching one of his games recently back in February. More of a straight line driver than shake n bake moves.

His ball handling and passing was a little bit better when watching one of his games recently back in February. More of a straight line driver than shake n bake moves.
My question about Tucker is how good is his shooting skill. Obviously it's good, but it's hard to tell just how good without watching a bunch of full games. Like is he Klay Thompson good? Or is he just good? Because if he's the latter, I'm worried about his seeming one dimensionality. But if he's Klay...

Can we please get some 6'9 forward (s) who are chiseled, strong, and can rebound the ball? So we don't get bullied in the paint by UNC, Pitt, etc.
Had a handfull over Boeheims tenure most didn't work out for his schemes,mostly subs

Can we please get some 6'9 forward (s) who are chiseled, strong, and can rebound the ball? So we don't get bullied in the paint by UNC, Pitt, etc.
You mean like Obokoh? Oh wait... As the above poster says--musclebound hulks are not who we target at the forward position. The last one who more or less worked was Rick Jackson. And even he was ideally a 5. Our ideal 4 is Jerami Grant-as-a-senior. Even as a sophomore, he didn't get bullied much, was incredibly good at protecting the rim, and was pretty close to an elite rebounder.

I'm not declaring it's "Tucker or bust" for that class, but I think SU maybe needs to take a look at that particular
year (2017-2018) and look at it's likely 2/3 options:

Richardson - should he return next year, he's probably leaving after it
Battle - I would expect that he would leave also
Lydon - might be gone too
Moyer - should still be around

And that's it on the current roster. You might end up with only Chukwu and Moyer on scholarship for the
2017-2018 year, prior to the recruits arriving. There wouldn't be anything at all wrong with stashing him behind
Moyer for a year. That recruiting class probably has to have 6, 7, or even 8 kids and they'll need every position.

While it's not a primary reason to recruit him, I'd hate to seen him go to St. Johns and rejuvenate that program.

Kev

My question about Tucker is how good is his shooting skill. Obviously it's good, but it's hard to tell just how good without watching a bunch of full games. Like is he Klay Thompson good? Or is he just good? Because if he's the latter, I'm worried about his seeming one dimensionality. But if he's Klay...
His shooting is similar to Mali, which is why I always come up with that comparison. He's a volume scorer that can get hot at any moment, but is prone to stretches where he can't hit anything. He's nowhere near a Klay Thompson type.

Isn't Tucker a Kris Joseph type 6'7 wing which we haven't had in awhile

BJ Johnson - not good enough for this level
Mali- 2 guard playing out of position
sort of like Terry Larrier - a poor man's Kris Joseph

Also saw somebody else tweet that Tucker had some issues with blood clots in his knees that had to be drained a few weeks ago. He says he's still not 100% healed from that yet. BC's are no joke. Let's hope it's not something that will linger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom