Shady talking to Pitt... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shady talking to Pitt...

Schiano to Pitt would not be good for SU. People who think that he "sucks" or that this would hurt Pitt are missing the boat, IMO.

I agree. Yes he is a weasel and yes RU loaded up on patsies (and still does) but Shady can recruit Jersey and PA very well, two crucial states for us where we are gaining momentum. Flood and Beckman keeping their jobs are great for our Jersey/Illinois recruiting. Pitt hiring say, Pasqualoni would be much more appreciated on my part! Hey I can dream

I said after year three when he was 17-20.

Right and since then he's 14-2 in conference. People aren't calling for Shafer's head- they are calling for him to do something before he's fired instead of installing yet another new offensive system.

Right and since then he's 14-2 in conference. People aren't calling for Shafer's head- they are calling for him to do something before he's fired instead of installing yet another new offensive system.
Marshall hired Chuck Heater as DC in 2013 and he has been the difference. For example, in 2012 Marshall scored 40.9 ppg and gave up 43.1! In the last two years they have given up 22.9 in 2013 and

Schiano would recruit FL/NJ decently for Pitt. That hire wouldn't be good for SU but it doesn't scare me because he is a horrible gameday coach. I would rather Pitt hire Schiano over Holliday.

Chris Dokish ‏@ChrisDokish 28m28 minutes ago
From an excellent source, Pitt has been made aware that Doc Holliday is interested in the job.

Don't want this. Hire Shady Pitt.

upload_2014-12-17_9-35-20.png

Schiano to Pitt would not be good for SU. People who think that he "sucks" or that this would hurt Pitt are missing the boat, IMO.
as another poster said, it depends on who he brings in as assistants, and he WILL hire very well. he is good recruiter just a bad game day coach. if he has changed his micro management style it will work out very well for pitt and not good for us

I said after year three when he was 17-20.

That would be an interesting exercise. It really would have been year 3 because they dipped back to a losing team (5-7).

But in that losing season they were #6 in the country in total offense (#7 in scoring offense). So my guess is that SU fans would have been calling for the DC's head, not the HC. They lost that last game in a 2 OT shootout where they scored 52 in regulation and had over 600 yards of offense.

We're not a defense first town. We might have been at one point in our history, but once that Dome went up... (and we shouldn't be a defense first place because of it).

Doc Holiday' record at Marshall is 39-35 (,609),
YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Marshall Thundering Herd (Conference USA) (2010–present)
2010 Marshall 5–7 4–4 4th (East)
2011 Marshall 7–6 5–3 2nd (East) W Beef 'O' Brady's
2012 Marshall 5–7 4–4 3rd (East)
2013 Marshall 10–4 7–1 1st (East) W Military
2014 Marshall 12–17–1 1st (East) Boca Raton
Marshall:39–25 27–13
Total: 39–25

Everyone would have been calling for his head after year 3 if he coached here.
shafer needs to win 7 next year to get to 17 wins in three years. you think that's going to happen? if it does, then feel free to tear into people calling for his head.

His OOC was so weak b/c he couldn't beat good teams. He is not a good coach.
Schiano would recruit FL/NJ decently for Pitt. That hire wouldn't be good for SU but it doesn't scare me because he is a horrible gameday coach. I would rather Pitt hire Schiano over Holliday.
I agree. IMO coaching at Pitt is a different gig than when Shady took over at Rutgers. He would be a much better fit for a program like UConn.

Marshall hired Chuck Heater as DC in 2013 and he has been the difference. For example, in 2012 Marshall scored 40.9 ppg and gave up 43.1! In the last two years they have given up 22.9 in 2013 and

So you can go out and replace someone who isn't cutting it as a coordinator with a guy who had some D1 experience and wasn't on your original staff? Interesting strategy...

it would be funny watching shady hammer on jersery state. and i'd actually be pulling for the guy to stick it to franklin. he's not going to hurt us unless he's after our same kids but i don't think he would be. he's going to be after the very top tier kids so i honestly dont think we'd square off to much. somewhat but not a lot.

id be more interested in his staff. if he brings his amigos back (forget the guys name) and some of Wanny's old staff, recruiting wise they'd be tough to beat.

i'd have a hard time believing he'd take the job though under the same AD who gave his buddy Wanny a pretty raw deal. (i believe it's the same AD). I can't imagine Shady would work for the guy - especially since Shady is going to make HUGE demands, and things like houses etc. The guy thinks he's Nick Saban.

So you can go out and replace someone who isn't cutting it as a coordinator with a guy who had some D1 experience and wasn't on your original staff? Interesting strategy...
Just like Shafer replaced McDonald?

It will be interesting to see how Shady handles a real schedule because he is not a proven winner against top-flight competition.

Future OOC Pitt opponents include Penn State, Notre Dame, Iowa, Okie State and Marshall. They also have Youngstown State.

That's stepping up in class compared to what he saw at Rutgers.

Schiano to Pitt is bad news for Syracuse. Just another coach who has had success at the college level unlike the team we follow which is coming off a 3 win season.

He'll do fine with the schedule b/c the way Pitt looks at it, they have auto wins vs Syracuse and Wake every year. In addition to the 2-3 easy OOC games they'll schedule.

Here's my worries, and they outweigh the proclivity of meathead-ed-ness he's exhibited in the past:

He'll have pro facilities already at his beck and call. He won't have worry about building the program's facilities from the floor up. The university, not having to carry the financing on a foolhardy stadium expansion can actually spend more money on quality assistants. He'll also have a program that's actually achieved success.

He's a college coach. His schtick didn't mesh in the pros, but to young teenagers, he has some traction. Plus, he'll be in a fertile recruiting ground.

Everyone would have been calling for his head after year 3 if he coached here.

The six years before Holiday took over...

7-6
4-8
3-9
5-7
4-7
6-6

Context matters.

Good recruiter, terrible coach. I am all for it.
pitt recruits ok as it is.. he isnt going to make it any better than what they got the last 10 years and the coaching will be worse. this isnt like rutgers where he took them from the dumps in recruiting.

Schiano to Pitt is bad news for Syracuse. Just another coach who has had success at the college level unlike the team we follow which is coming off a 3 win season.

He'll do fine with the schedule b/c the way Pitt looks at it, they have auto wins vs Syracuse and Wake every year. In addition to the 2-3 easy OOC games they'll schedule.

Pitt's OOC schedule will be tougher than what he played at Rutgers and the ACC is comparatively tougher than the BE. His first three seasons at RU: 2-9/1-11/5-7. It would be lanterns and pitchforks time on this board if Shafer 8-27 in his first three years.

Shady went 4-8 two years before taking the Bucs job despite lots of talent and a typical soft schedule. He's not a proven, consistent winner against a high level of competition.

especially since Shady is going to make HUGE demands, and things like houses etc. The guy thinks he's Nick Saban.

This is exactly why I say there's little chance he ends up there.

Pitt's OOC schedule will be tougher than what he played at Rutgers and the ACC is comparatively tougher than the BE. His first three seasons at RU: 2-9/1-11/5-7. It would be lanterns and pitchforks time on this board if Shafer 8-27 in his first three years.

If Shafer got us to 5-7 after 3 years, which followed 130 years of literally zero success, I think we'd be ok with him.

You can't put yourself in the shoes of a Rutgers fan in 2000. Assuming there were any. It's just a completely different perspective. You're the school that played the first ever college football game, and the last school that ever had success doing it.

PITT AD just got fired. back to square one on that search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom