Shafer is coming back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer is coming back

Middle Tennessee State had a great offense and a bad defense last season. Lost to Vanderbilt 47-24 and defeated Missouri 51-45.

They return their QB, who threw for 3233 yards and 31 TDs, a WR Richie James who had 105 catches for 1625 yards and 12 TDs and another WR who had 66 catches for 699 yards and 9 TDs.

Lost their bowl game to Hawaii 52-35. Gave up 108 points in their last 2 games. Yikes.

Could be a really high scoring game...

Take the over!

Strange move for him. Not sure of the head coaching situation at MTSU but I wonder if he was told he'd be the next head coach if he does well and the position opens up in the future.

On the surface this might seem strange, but just maybe he just wants to coach and not have a ton of pressure? Maybe he likes the area around MTSU it is in a really nice location. Point is only FHCSS knows and we might some day.

I wouldn't arbitrarily discount his ability to do so.

I echo bcubs. Love shaf but DO NOT IN ANY WAY SEE HIM ON OUR SCHEDULE. The MTSU game went from a 60-70% win chance to us probably being underdogs. MSTU was bubble gum on defense and just outscored people. Now, Shaf is the game changer. Geeez Shaf, go get a p5 job on the west coast!;)

Shafer is going back to his roots.....coaching for the love of the game...not for the biggest paycheck. Coaching at the P5 level has become a ruthless business and maybe Shafer is just sick of it.

CUSA teams all run fast paced no-huddle offenses. If his D can slow them down, he will go back up to the P5, probably as a head coach. Nothing Syeacuse does on offense will be new to MTSU players.

Guess who's back?
Back again
Shafer's back
Tell a friend
Shafer's back, Shafer's back, Shafer's back, Shafer's back

I echo bcubs. Love shaf but DO NOT IN ANY WAY SEE HIM ON OUR SCHEDULE. The MTSU game went from a 60-70% win chance to us probably being underdogs. MSTU was bubble gum on defense and just outscored people. Now, Shaf is the game changer. Geeez Shaf, go get a p5 job on the west coast!;)
You've got to be kidding with this, right?

You've got to be kidding with this, right?

No, not really. This game when from winnable to now questionable IMHO with shafer running the D. Their D was soft previously. To win, we have to outscore them unless our defense makes a miraculous improvement coming off giving up 70+.

No, not really. This game when from winnable to now questionable IMHO with shafer running the D. Their D was soft previously. To win, we have to outscore them unless our defense makes a miraculous improvement coming off giving up 70+.
How bitter was Shaf's firing? Someone convince me this is not Shafer taking a job for a year to stick it to Syracuse; then will move on to a legitimate P5 job.

How bitter was Shaf's firing? Someone convince me this is not Shafer taking a job for a year to stick it to Syracuse; then will move on to a legitimate P5 job.

Good point but geez, i hope shaf isn't moving his family just to get a shot at us? I do find Tennessee a bit weird too for his choice and i do believe he has had choices.

So, how many points are you giving me? ;)

I think we will be at least a 2 TD favorite.

I hope so, but the MTSU offense has been on fire in recent years. They have been on fire. Shaf now gives their D some attitude and an attacking style. Our D is a mess, the system and personel. Thus, i think we will need to post 40 to beat them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom