Shafer is coming back | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer is coming back

No, not really. This game when from winnable to now questionable IMHO with shafer running the D. Their D was soft previously. To win, we have to outscore them unless our defense makes a miraculous improvement coming off giving up 70+.
its week 2 of a new defensive scheme i doubt there defense will be shafer d he ran last with us

How bitter was Shaf's firing? Someone convince me this is not Shafer taking a job for a year to stick it to Syracuse; then will move on to a legitimate P5 job.

after quitting the maryland job p5 jobs probably were not knocking on the door and want him to prove that he actually wants to go back to coaching before any p5 d coordinator jobs offered

I hope so, but the MTSU offense has been on fire in recent years. They have been on fire. Shaf now gives their D some attitude and an attacking style. Our D is a mess, the system and personel. Thus, i think we will need to post 40 to beat them.

the secondary should be better getting 2 of our better dbs back and the nd transfer should negate winfield leaving

the secondary should be better getting 2 of our better dbs back and the nd transfer should negate winfield leaving

All good points, i get it, but i am more worried about the T2 proving itself in a P5 conference.

Schafer doesn't know what an offense looks like, he's stuck in the stone age. He's going to be confused and clueless and we'll probably drop 60 on them.

Schafer doesn't know what an offense looks like, he's stuck in the stone age. He's going to be confused and clueless and we'll probably drop 60 on them.

Shafer's D is average to horrible against offenses like ours. In 2010 it allowed is to grind out wins against bad Big East offenses. It never really negated talent differential, and got torched against Northwestern on 2012 when they went to a short passing attack.

CUSA teams all run fast paced no-huddle offenses. If his D can slow them down, he will go back up to the P5, probably as a head coach. Nothing Syeacuse does on offense will be new to MTSU players.

How many times has Shafer coaches vs this system?

I have a healthy respect for Shafer as a defensive coordinator but I'm not sure he will be able to have the impact in the second game of the year to steer the advantage to MTSU in this game to where I'll be any more worried than I would be otherwise.

after Shafer's defense gets steamrolled this fall, wonder if he'll mention that he recruited all those guys.

I have a healthy respect for Shafer as a defensive coordinator but I'm not sure he will be able to have the impact in the second game of the year to steer the advantage to MTSU in this game to where I'll be any more worried than I would be otherwise.

I expect his defense to present a lot of challenges for the Orange this fall.

He and his team will be prepared to play.

You guys thinking Shafer will instantly fix MTSU's defense are mistaken. Here's the simple reason(s):

Chandler Jones
Doug Houge
Derrell Smith
Shamarko Thomas

Do I need to keep going? Where is MTSU's NFL talent on defense? Because Shafer pretty much had a stud or two every year he was coordinator here.

Agree. Shaf's first year, 2nd game with team vs. Cuse, which has a full year with Babers system in place, and a lot of returning players. Plus, we are playing in the dome. MTSU has a great offense, which concerns me a lot more. Imagine it could look like the Pitt game, in a total shootout.

I don't agree. At all.

Narduzzi and Shafer are from the same tree.

Agree. Shaf's first year, 2nd game with team vs. Cuse, which has a full year with Babers system in place, and a lot of returning players. Plus, we are playing in the dome. MTSU has a great offense, which concerns me a lot more. Imagine it could look like the Pitt game, in a total shootout.

I feel like the D took a huge step forward with the additions of Berry, Butler, and Williams. Berry was 2nd team all MAC before leaving leaving Buffalo. Butler and Williams are ND level talent. I harped on Babers at the end of last season for the horrible defense but I'm very happy to see such a infusion of talent from the JUCO/Transfer ranks and think performances like the one we saw at Pitt will soon be a thing of the past.

don't agree. i think their offense will give us problems. not their defense. the O/U could be 100.

I think this game will represent one of the most entertaining on the schedule.

I also believe that SS should receive a warm ovation. Regardless of personal feelings about him and his results, he truly had Orange blood flowing through his veins and gave this community everything he had for 7 years.

I feel like the D took a huge step forward with the additions of Berry, Butler, and Williams. Berry was 2nd team all MAC before leaving leaving Buffalo. Butler and Williams are ND level talent. I harped on Babers at the end of last season for the horrible defense but I'm very happy to see such a infusion of talent from the JUCO/Transfer ranks and think performances like the one we saw at Pitt will soon be a thing of the past.

Wrong Brandon Berry...

I think this game will represent one of the most entertaining on the schedule.

I also believe that SS should receive a warm ovation. Regardless of personal feelings about him and his results, he truly had Orange blood flowing through his veins and gave this community everything he had for 7 years.

Totally agree. It didn't work out as a head coach but it wasn't because he wasn't passionate enough about the university and the community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom