Shafer Players Left Early | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Players Left Early

mlbball99

2nd String
I was just going through my head, thinking about Shafer players left and how those guys are all out of football jobs now.

Think about it:
- Ron Thompson
- Jerome Smith
- Durrel Eskridge

I'm thinking about who might consider leaving after this year, and the only one that pops in my head is:
-Steve Ishmael

I feel like with Dino at the helm, he has a better connection with his players and won't let his guys make the mistake of leaving. I can't help but think Ronnie Thompson wishes he was still in Cuse, getting his degree, and being an absolute presence on our D Line on a VERY exciting team. Damn. Lost opportunity.

I don't think Ish leaves early either. He's in a prime spot to catch a lot of balls next year with the departures of Etta-Tawo and Estime. So if we only include the roster this year, who are the top 4 wideouts next year? I can think of 3: Ish, Philips, and Butler. Who's the 4th (without naming incoming freshmen)?

I was just going through my head, thinking about Shafer players left and how those guys are all out of football jobs now.

Think about it:
- Ron Thompson
- Jerome Smith
- Durrel Eskridge

I'm thinking about who might consider leaving after this year, and the only one that pops in my head is:
-Steve Ishmael

I feel like with Dino at the helm, he has a better connection with his players and won't let his guys make the mistake of leaving. I can't help but think Ronnie Thompson wishes he was still in Cuse, getting his degree, and being an absolute presence on our D Line on a VERY exciting team. Damn. Lost opportunity.
Thompson already got his degree. That was one of the reasons he left early.

I don't think Ish leaves early either. He's in a prime spot to catch a lot of balls next year with the departures of Etta-Tawo and Estime. So if we only include the roster this year, who are the top 4 wideouts next year? I can think of 3: Ish, Philips, and Butler. Who's the 4th (without naming incoming freshmen)?

Riley is the only other slot that I've seen get snaps. Moe Neal maybe?

Yeah. Was thinking Riley too. Not sure if I buy it, although he is talented. He's so slight. But maybe?

I might go with Enoicy or Curtis but it seems like they are too much in the mold (body type and position) of Ish and Butler

Think about it:
- Ron Thompson
- Jerome Smith
- Durrel Eskridge

-Steve Ishmael

I don't think you can view those three through the same lens.

Eskridge needed the money for his family, and swung for the fences.

Smith had already graduated, and had seen his role reduced in the Shafer system, so he took a shot and actually made the NFL.

Thompson had already graduated, and his coach had just gotten fired.

I think that if Thompson knew how things would turn out, he might opt to return. But I don't view those three situations as being remotely similar.

He's a true sophomore, correct? Doesn't that mean he can't enter the draft until after next season anyways? If he is the prime target and breaks 1000 yards in his junior season, I could totally see him leaving early.

And I can't believe I used the word 'totally' as an adjective. I must have gone to school at Ridgemont High...

He's a true sophomore, correct? Doesn't that mean he can't enter the draft until after next season anyways? If he is the prime target and breaks 1000 yards in his junior season, I could totally see him leaving early.

And I can't believe I used the word 'totally' as an adjective. I must have gone to school at Ridgemont High...

He's a junior.

No way Ish leaves. He seems like a smart kid and would want to at least get his degree first. Plus he knows he has the potential to put up crazy numbers next year.
Yup. With freakish ET gone, Ish could once again be the QBs main target.

Football -- more than any other sport -- offers a really limited shelf life. If these guys that no they can get a sniff at the next level there's not a heck of a lot suggesting they should return to school.

Edit: Point being I don't think it's a shader thing as much as a reality of college football. Being a first rounder is great but a lot of kids are going to jump as quickly as they can to maximize whatever earning potential they have.

Whatever happened to the QB / shortstop from Bama?

I doubt it's Jordan Fredericks. :p

Unless Riley puts on some serious weight, I don't know if I ever really see him doing a whole lot. He goes down at the first hint of contact. Moe Neal seems like a logical replacement for Estime. He's clearly behind Strickland, I'm praying that Fredericks is at least viewed as a clear cut # 2 RB next year (although I think he's the best one on the team now). Just seems like Neal & the team would benefit with him lined up at WR next season.

In this offense I'd like to see Strickland back in the slot, he has some quickness, pretty good hands, and size.

With Ish settling into his role now, I can't see him leaving.

Honestly, i don't see anyone on the roster leaving early for the NFL right now. Transfer/graduate - yes.

In this offense I'd like to see Strickland back in the slot, he has some quickness, pretty good hands, and size.
he i better after catching the pass. imho he excells after the catch in the open field

I think people should really watch Riley return kicks closely before saying he goes down on first contact.. there really have been very few holes to hit but he often makes the first 1-2 guys miss, thats not to say he can run thru contact but avoiding contact is just as important . a WR that can make people miss in space is a different skill set than a kickoff guy.

I think people should really watch Riley return kicks closely before saying he goes down on first contact.. there really have been very few holes to hit but he often makes the first 1-2 guys miss, thats not to say he can run thru contact but avoiding contact is just as important . a WR that can make people miss in space is a different skill set than a kickoff guy.

I imagine he'll probably be a solid slot contributor by year 3. He's already gaining experience as a tiny frosh and is only going to keep building strength, weight and speed with each year.

Customs name has been mentioned by Dungey a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom