Shafer Players Left Early | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Players Left Early

I don't think you can view those three through the same lens.

Eskridge needed the money for his family, and swung for the fences.

Smith had already graduated, and had seen his role reduced in the Shafer system, so he took a shot and actually made the NFL.

Thompson had already graduated, and his coach had just gotten fired.

I think that if Thompson knew how things would turn out, he might opt to return. But I don't view those three situations as being remotely similar.

Don't forget he also suffered a horrible injury early in his SU career...

I don't think Ish leaves early either. He's in a prime spot to catch a lot of balls next year with the departures of Etta-Tawo and Estime. So if we only include the roster this year, who are the top 4 wideouts next year? I can think of 3: Ish, Philips, and Butler. Who's the 4th (without naming incoming freshmen)?
Moe Neal

I think people should really watch Riley return kicks closely before saying he goes down on first contact.. there really have been very few holes to hit but he often makes the first 1-2 guys miss, thats not to say he can run thru contact but avoiding contact is just as important . a WR that can make people miss in space is a different skill set than a kickoff guy.
There are holes there. Riley isn't explosive enough to get through them. He's an Ivy League level talent and I can't figure out why Babers continues to use him on kickoffs. He might be a better fit on punt returns with his juke ability but obviously Estime has that job solidified.

Custis starts next year for sure with Ish on the outside. Philips inside with Riley unless we land a transfer.
I would move Moe to slot but he might not have the hands.

Custis starts next year for sure with Ish on the outside. Philips inside with Riley unless we land a transfer.
I would move Moe to slot but he might not have the hands.
Devin Butler...

I was just going through my head, thinking about Shafer players left and how those guys are all out of football jobs now.

Think about it:
- Ron Thompson
- Jerome Smith
- Durrel Eskridge

I'm thinking about who might consider leaving after this year, and the only one that pops in my head is:
-Steve Ishmael

I feel like with Dino at the helm, he has a better connection with his players and won't let his guys make the mistake of leaving. I can't help but think Ronnie Thompson wishes he was still in Cuse, getting his degree, and being an absolute presence on our D Line on a VERY exciting team. Damn. Lost opportunity.
I don't agree with this at all. The players did what they thought was the best for them in their specific situation. Has nothing to do with a lack of connection to Shafer. Not even sure why his name came up.