Shafer Transfers | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Transfers

money3189

Hall of Fame
I understand that the majority of the transfers so far are kids who weren't impact players but I remember a particular person was adamant about the amount of Shafer players that were going to leave. There was a lot of truth to that. Partially because they didn't see a fit and the writing was on the wall. Some just wanted to play for Shaf and not Dino. Some current players still feel that way but changed their thoughts because they see a promising future with Dino. They want to work their way into his plan. That's what we are seeing with these transfers. It's a combination of Dino wanting his pieces to the puzzle and players who feel they don't have a fair shot. It's a business and Dino has to win but relationships are broken and families are impacted. To most of us it's just numbers but let's not forget that those numbers have feelings.

I understand that the majority of the transfers so far are kids who weren't impact players but I remember a particular person was adamant about the amount of Shafer players that were going to leave. There was a lot of truth to that. Partially because they didn't see a fit and the writing was on the wall. Some just wanted to play for Shaf and not Dino. Some current players still feel that way but changed their thoughts because they see a promising future with Dino. They want to work their way into his plan. That's what we are seeing with these transfers. It's a combination of Dino wanting his pieces to the puzzle and players who feel they don't have a fair shot. It's a business and Dino has to win but relationships are broken and families are impacted. To most of us it's just numbers but let's not forget that those numbers have feelings.

Indeed, any time a school makes a coaching change, there are a lot of kids impacted, some stay, some choose to leave, some get pushed out. It's a very difficult thing for these kids, as fans we need to think about them, they are flesh and blood, and for those of us who have kids, imagine how we would feel if it were one of ours.

If Coyle had handled things a LOT more diplomatically, it wouldn't have been as dicey as it was. We've got roughly 5ish now transferring out, right? I know for a fact the count could've been MUCH higher.
Coyle has his hands full now at Minny. I dont know the situation there. Sexual assault is serious stuff and Im not condoning it but he is getting blasted because of the way he's handling it.

If Coyle had handled things a LOT more diplomatically, it wouldn't have been as dicey as it was. We've got roughly 5ish now transferring out, right? I know for a fact the count could've been MUCH higher.

Interesting observation.

From a parent's point of view, what should Coyle have done differently do you think?

And, do you think Babers has handled the transition the right way?

It's not over yet

It's not over yet

which is too bad. I for one hope they all stay, and wished the others would have. But I certainly understand, kids should do what is best for them.

You weren't around for Doug Marrone, but he came in and cleared half the roster (before his first season.) I don't recall the numbers exactly but had to be 20-30 kids that first year and he even booted some starters. Other kids bought in, assimilated and found their roles. Would hope the rest of these Cuse kids, like Shy, will do the same.

Last edited:
I find the NCAA rules to blame. The way it is set up kids have little choice in their future. This situation is an extreme case. This is taking an offense and a defense of existing players recruited for one system and then putting in a totally opposite system. A lot of kids are staying because they can't talk with other coaches to see if they would have a home. Some kids stay and play in a system that doesn't showcase their skills. Some kids stay because they don't want to sit a year. And some kids leave. I can tell you from talking with a lot of the players at the Bc game there is a lot of kids who are in this situation. Their is some kids who won't play here but are going to stay and get their education. It is very unfair a coach can pack up and switch schools to improve their future but kids have little choice. Then throw in when a conference says you can switch schools but you can't go to another school in conference. Kids are trapped. Many kids who at no fault of their own will not have a chance to show they are a great player. All these kids came here to play football. They all had dreams of making the league. Many are seeing that dream disappear this year and I'm crushed for them. I will tell you I am happy to say at year end meetings Shy was told they want him here for this system. They told Shy he is a good fit for their system and his shoulder injury over last summer held him back this year but they are exploring a lot of different ideas with Shy this spring... so this isn't a rant about my son being screwed. I'm feel very blessed Shy is wanted here. I am sad for the other kids and families who got different talks and are dealing with the reality of college ball.

For cubs and Bam- Feel free to say as much or as little as you'd like on this, but do the kids feel like this staff if legit? Do they feel like, at the very least, they are honest with them as to where they may or may not fit. I'd hate to think that kids are wanting to look elsewhere because they're just unhappy with who is currently ruling the roost.

I find the NCAA rules to blame. The way it is set up kids have little choice in their future. This situation is an extreme case. This is taking an offense and a defense of existing players recruited for one system and then putting in a totally opposite system. A lot of kids are staying because they can't talk with other coaches to see if they would have a home. Some kids stay and play in a system that doesn't showcase their skills. Some kids stay because they don't want to sit a year. And some kids leave. I can tell you from talking with a lot of the players at the Bc game there is a lot of kids who are in this situation. Their is some kids who won't play here but are going to stay and get their education. It is very unfair a coach can pack up and switch schools to improve their future but kids have little choice. Then throw in when a conference says you can switch schools but you can't go to another school in conference. Kids are trapped. Many kids who at no fault of their own will not have a chance to show they are a great player. All these kids came here to play football. They all had dreams of making the league. Many are seeing that dream disappear this year and I'm crushed for them. I will tell you I am happy to say at year end meetings Shy was told they want him here for this system. They told Shy he is a good fit for their system and his shoulder injury over last summer held him back this year but they are exploring a lot of different ideas with Shy this spring... so this isn't a rant about my son being screwed. I'm feel very blessed Shy is wanted here. I am sad for the other kids and families who got different talks and are dealing with the reality of college ball.
A harsh and unjust reality, no doubt. The system is flawed, but, I don't know what the answer is because if kid's were allowed to transfer freely without consequence the college football landscape would be complete and utter chaos.

I'd be interested to know just how much of the roster the current staff does not see as a fit.

PhatOrange , I think the final count of Marrone's turnover #'s was 29 or 31, somewhere close to that. But, the amazing thing is that happened over the course of one year / off-season.

For cubs and Bam- Feel free to say as much or as little as you'd like on this, but do the kids feel like this staff if legit? Do they feel like, at the very least, they are honest with them as to where they may or may not fit. I'd hate to think that kids are wanting to look elsewhere because they're just unhappy with who is currently ruling the roost.
I think the staff has been honest and I think even the kids who are leaving feel they were treated fairly by the staff. Even if they didn't like what they told them at least they weren't given false hope only to ride the bench or play practice squad and never see the field.

Well said. I understand athletes get a free education and live a life of a D1 player but its not always fun especially when you're not well liked because you dont fit. I dont have the answer but players should have better options.

A harsh and unjust reality, no doubt. The system is flawed, but, I don't know what the answer is because if kid's were allowed to transfer freely without consequence the college football landscape would be complete and utter chaos.

I'd be interested to know just how much of the roster the current staff does not see as a fit.

PhatOrange , I think the final count of Marrone's turnover #'s was 29 or 31, somewhere close to that. But, the amazing thing is that happened over the course of one year / off-season.
I agree with that. I think they could have some type of waiver process where if the coach and player agree to a release they could approve it in cases of coaching changes .

I think the staff has been honest and I think even the kids who are leaving feel they were treated fairly by the staff. Even if they didn't like what they told them at least they weren't given false hope only to ride the bench or play practice squad and never see the field.

Thanks. I played DIII ball and stopped playing my senior year when my position coach left, for crissakes. And that was with 100% no possibility to get paid to play professionally down the line. I completely understand why kids with D1 or even DII would want to look elsewhere.

I agree with that. I think they could have some type of waiver process where if the coach and player agree to a release they could approve it in cases of coaching changes .
Stop making sense!

Happy to hear that about Shy. Every time a kid commits to SU I hope the very best for them on and off the field. Sometimes, unfortunately, the best is a good education and connections that will further them in life.

Players should double on classes in their redshirt year and try to graduate in 3 years allowing them to be free agents with 2 years of eligibility left . Or double up for 2 years , this is the only play they have to get some control over their future .

while i do feel kids get the short end of the stick, i dont see a solution to satisfying them. You couldnt grant a release upon coaching change becuase then a school could lose an entire class of players, or more. That would set programs back big time. HCDM had 55 scholarship players his first year.

Players should double on classes in their redshirt year and try to graduate in 3 years allowing them to be free agents with 2 years of eligibility left . Or double up for 2 years , this is the only play they have to get some control over their future .
Most of the kids on the team have done this. Also the summer classes they stay for have set most kids up to get higher degrees or transfer

while i do feel kids get the short end of the stick, i dont see a solution to satisfying them. You couldnt grant a release upon coaching change becuase then a school could lose an entire class of players, or more. That would set programs back big time. HCDM had 55 scholarship players his first year.
I see that. But difference does it make if they sit on the bench and never get to play? Transferring or siting does the team no good.

Interesting observation.

From a parent's point of view, what should Coyle have done differently do you think?

And, do you think Babers has handled the transition the right way?

Well, Coyle was pretty freakin' cold about informing the kids. Also, basically told Shafer and his staff to pack their sht and get out.

Overall, I credit Babers and his staff in doing a GREAT job in mitigating much of Coyle's bllsht.

I see that. But difference does it make if they sit on the bench and never get to play? Transferring or siting does the team no good.

Good point. The answer to that is depth. I hate to see it, but a team needs bodies to practice, needs bodies to be the next man up. So while you may not be on the two deep, i know its a sorry consilation prize, but you are HELPING the team.

Like i said, its a tough situation. I can only speak in hypotheticals, but if i had a kid being recruited i would tell him to pick the school, not the coaches/system etc. Coaches get fired, coaches leave. Your chance at the NFL is SUPER SLIM. You never know what the future holds. The degree is forever though. And like someone mentioned above, i would tell my kid if possible to graduate in 3 so he has options. I did a summer session at SU, if the Football players do both, graduating in 3 is certainly possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom