Shafer Transfers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Transfers

Say that when it's your kid...

No disrespect, but if/when it's my kid, this board or boards like it would be the last place I'd be spending my time.

Most of this thread is supportive of the unfortunate reality of the situation, but a couple anonymous dissenters are drawing responses from you parents that should be ignored.

Same thing would probably happen to me, so I'd stay away.

Another thing, too. I found myself, during the recruiting process, getting all wrapped up in the metrics. I obsessed over Steven's bench, squat, 40 and shuttle times, or any other metric that I could use to compare him against other players at his position. Honestly, thinking back on my attitude, I'm ashamed.
since we are all being honest, that's wonderful to hear. but its not surprising and I get why you would.

in another post you compared them to 'cattle', i get that too and glad you used it. its a line I have often used on here in an attempt to smack some reality into the board denizens who sit up high and pass judgment without truly understanding what it took to even get a look at possibly wearing a Syracuse jersey. these coaches know what they are doing and sometimes the brutal truth hurts, but I would hope everyone does what is best for them in the long run. all anyone can ever do is look out for #1. if its riding the pine and getting a degree, then fine. if its transferring and sitting out hoping the grass is greener, then fine. if they just want to play and they drop a level, then fine. even if not switching positions because you don't want to, but it may prolong your jersey wearing timeframe, then fine.

just look out for #1, because #1 isn't ever going away.

queue Bill Parcells...

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

No disrespect, but if/when it's my kid, this board or boards like it would be the last place I'd be spending my time.

Most of this thread is supportive of the unfortunate reality of the situation, but a couple anonymous dissenters are drawing responses from you parents that should be ignored.

I'll stick around, regardless.

since we are all being honest, that's wonderful to hear. but its not surprising and I get why you would.

in another post you compared them to 'cattle', i get that too and glad you used it. its a line I have often used on here in an attempt to smack some reality into the board denizens who sit up high and pass judgment without truly understanding what it took to even get a look at possibly wearing a Syracuse jersey. these coaches know what they are doing and sometimes the brutal truth hurts, but I would hope everyone does what is best for them in the long run. all anyone can ever do is look out for #1. if its riding the pine and getting a degree, then fine. if its transferring and sitting out hoping the grass is greener, then fine. if they just want to play and they drop a level, then fine. even if not switching positions because you don't want to, but it may prolong your jersey wearing timeframe, then fine.

just look out for #1, because #1 isn't ever going away.

queue Bill Parcells...

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Totally agree.

BTW, did Parcells really write that?

Oh, wanted to add that I won't always be, and am not just, a football parent. I am also a fan.

Still, pretty freakin' good.
totally agree.

I saw him recite it in an NFL Films piece over 30 years ago, and ive never forgotten it.

ive had it framed and up on a wall for most of my life. its in a box now in the garage, but I can always just google it to read.

when my kids get older, they will get each get one.

Maybe I missed it in my skimming of the posts but what would a parent want in a situation in which a coach inherits a team with a number of players who don't fit his system or whose abilities he assesses differently from the previous coach? It is a difficult situation all around for players, coaches and administration. Could Babers have handled this any differently? Isn't honesty the optimal approach in trying to create the best results for everyone in these challenging circumstances? Could the University and coaches have been more supportive in helping players who have decided they want to transfer find an appropriate alternative?

Maybe I missed it in my skimming of the posts but what would a parent want in a situation in which a coach inherits a team with a number of players who don't fit his system or whose abilities he assesses differently from the previous coach? It is a difficult situation all around for players, coaches and administration. Could Babers have handled this any differently? Isn't honesty the optimal approach in trying to create the best results for everyone in these challenging circumstances? Could the University and coaches have been more supportive in helping players who have decided they want to transfer find an appropriate alternative?
I think this is one of those things we as parents can't really talk about. As much as we would love to tell everyone what brings these feelings out it's kinda an in house thing.

I think this is one of those things we as parents can't really talk about. As much as we would love to tell everyone what brings these feelings out it's kinda an in house thing.

What Jon said.

Lots of stuff we'd like to say, about a great many things. To help in understanding, aid in perspective, enhance the fan experience, and to sometimes brag. Can't, though, although I do prattle too much on occasion.

Will say that, for myself, I pretty much think that Coach Babers has done a good job, on and off the field.

Oh I don't know bcubs9497 is probably the only poster that has ever asked me for a one month self banning...not that I thought he needed it.

You should follow women's sport's then . Or D3 sports.

That's a bad response to a very fair post.

There is much to be said for having a landscape that looks ahead 40 years.

I would hope that many more scholarship athletes would so extend their perspectives.

It might reduce pro athlete bankruptcies and post retirement depression.

You should follow women's sport's then . Or D3 sports.

Didn't you tell OrangeNJ that he was smug...you really are a special one aren't you.

Absolutly. I love reading fans ideas about what they think is going on and how the staff is handling things. Truth is most have no clue. I guess having no idea what it's like to have a dream and be this close to that dream will never be comprehended by them.
These fans have no idea what it would be like to have a coach call you into his office and tell you that even though you have been told you were great you won't play here... I guess to people who have never been close to their dreams it's easy to say get over it move on. I guess they haven't had a chance. But I do know these kids who fans are so quick to cast off. I sat at the hotel talking with many of these kids who had their talks and I saw their confusion about how this happened. I saw them choke up telling me what the coach said. They told me how they didn't know what to do. Fans don't see that but I guess that is what makes being a fan fun.
Bam, I understand you're frustrated, and I agree that there needs to be a system change for situations such as this, but some of the rules are in place for a reason bigger than one player, however unfair that may seem. That said, what upsets me most is taking this out on fans in such a sanctimonious way. Don't assume that because we don't have your insight to this particular situation that none of us have ever experienced similar circumstances or have never had a dream or come close to reaching it. Parameters change and dreams redefined all the time. Facing difficulties and disappointment is in all our lives, and we are best defined by how we pick ourselves up, or overcome those adversities. At SU I was told to choose between playing soccer, a game I played at a high level since I was 5, or majoring in architecture, which was the main reason I chose SU over other schools. Given the lack of true post collegiate soccer opportunities, the choice was made easier, but not easy. SU is a perennial top 5 performer in architecture. Now imagine you're there and your main influence, your studio prof. leaves mid-semester. A new guy comes in with a new philosophy. He doesn't like your style of "play". He tosses a quarter at your project during a class wide critique and says "Call your mother and tell her you're not going to be an architect ". Sure made me wish I chose soccer. In those times I actually turned to the football team for support. You see they had morning meal and check in at a dining hall then and we architecture students would. E the only other ones there eating at that hour after pulling a second or third consecutive all nighter. We respected each other's work ethic. I met plenty of guys that only a handful here would recall. I was given a crap grade and put on academic probation, but we all pulled each other through. And it wasn't just revenue sports, my friends on the field hockey, cross country and volleyball teams were there too, sharing the ups and downs. Did that grade affect the perception of other professors? I think so. Did that affect my portfolio, and my ability to land the job I wanted coming out of school? I think so. I picked myself up and made a new dream. Doesn't mean I didn't have one prior, and it doesn't mean I won't have to refer to that lesson again in the future. I love your insight, hope you continue to give it. I also mean no disrespect to you, Shy, or what any of the players and parents are going through but don't put me down while giving your valuable insight. Nothing but the best for Trey and all the other kids moving on. I hope your new dream is even better than the old one.

Last edited:
Or, not capable of understanding the point?
I'm sure you know the background of a lot of the players that play big time college football . A lot of the guys come from places that they are lucky they didn't get shot or killed . They have some small opportunity to make it . Then there are people who go on and on from a relatively privileged perspective and I think, wow they don't have any empathy for these young people .

I'm sure you know the background of a lot of the players that play big time college football . A lot of the guys come from places that they are lucky they didn't get shot or killed . They have some small opportunity to make it . Then there are people who go on and on from a relatively privileged perspective and I think, wow they don't have any empathy for these young people .

And yet others with no empathy for women who play sports.

I understand all of this, yet in realizing that, there is nothing that would then lead me to insult another board members or his daughter because they weren't playing D1 football.

I respect what you are saying. I see it differently. I had two daughters excel in sports in sports where there really is no professional league, both recruited to play D1 and had coaches calling to recruit them. They loved to play, spent their summers training, traveling and in summer camps. But my daughters saw it as a way to get into a better school, recognizing that sports has a short shelf-life, and wanted to go to a school that would prepare them for the rest of their lives, the next 40 years, not the next four years. One daughter did not continue her sport. The other did, but at a D3 school , Amherst, a school that she might not have gotten into if not for her sport. That coach left, but my daughter liked the school, continued to compete, loved the school, had friends, and still was able to compete. In her freshman year, she went to practice, the same afternoon before a 7PM Chem test. I gave her grief over that, but she continued to do that. Her odds of getting into grad school were infinitely better than getting to the highest levels of her sport
Amherst - my Dad, my Uncle and a cousin. Williams can suck it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom