Shafer Transfers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Transfers

True =D

Discretion was/is the better part of valor; I put that person on ignore.

I know how you feel in that sense, there has been only one poster on here that I have put on ignore and that is when he insulted the town I grew up in and said that anyone who joins the military is too stupid to go to college. Some people are just too ignorant to waste your time with.

Bam, I understand you're frustrated, and I agree that there needs to be a system change for situations such as this, but some of the rules are in place for a reason bigger than one player, however unfair that may seem. That said, what upsets me most is taking this out on fans in such a sanctimonious way. Don't assume that because we don't have your insight to this particular situation that none of us have ever experienced similar circumstances or have never had a dream or come close to reaching it. Parameters change and dreams redefined all the time. Facing difficulties and disappointment is in all our lives, and we are best defined by how we pick ourselves up, or overcome those adversities. At SU I was told to choose between playing soccer, a game I played at a high level since I was 5, or majoring in architecture, which was the main reason I chose SU over other schools. Given the lack of true post collegiate soccer opportunities, the choice was made easier, but not easy. SU is a perennial top 5 performer in architecture. Now imagine you're there and your main influence, your studio prof. leaves mid-semester. A new guy comes in with a new philosophy. He doesn't like your style of "play". He tosses a quarter at your project during a class wide critique and says "Call your mother and tell her you're not going to be an architect ". Sure made me wish I chose soccer. In those times I actually turned to the football team for support. You see they had morning meal and check in at a dining hall then and we architecture students would. E the only other ones there eating at that hour after pulling a second or third consecutive all nighter. We respected each other's work ethic. I met plenty of guys that only a handful here would recall. I was given a crap grade and put on academic probation, but we all pulled each other through. And it wasn't just revenue sports, my friends on the field hockey, cross country and volleyball teams were there too, sharing the ups and downs. Did that grade affect the perception of other professors? I think so. Did that affect my portfolio, and my ability to land the job I wanted coming out of school? I think so. I picked myself up and made a new dream. Doesn't mean I didn't have one prior, and it doesn't mean I won't have to refer to that lesson again in the future. I love your insight, hope you continue to give it. I also mean no disrespect to you, Shy, or what any of the players and parents are going through but don't put me down while giving your valuable insight. Nothing but the best for Trey and all the other kids moving on. I hope your new dream is even better than the old one.
My response was not to all fans. As a matter of fact many fans do know what I am talking about. My response is to fans who post about how the kid sucked and should be gone. My post is to fans who don't know that a kid who one staff called one of the best players they ever seen at their position gets taken off the field completely by the next staff. While I appreciate your perspective again nothing in any other circumstance is the same. If your professor leaves and the new guy craps on your dream you can retake the class with a different professor you can transfer schools. You have options that you are not penalized for. I'm not saying every kid is d1 great I'm not saying every kid should get 100 chances . Im sure every kid that doesn't make it will create a new dream.

Last edited:
My response was not to all fans. As a matter of fact many fans do know what I am talking about. My response is to fans who post about how the kid sucked and should be gone. My post is to fans who don't know that a kid who one staff called one of the best players they ever seen at their position gets taken off the field completely by the next staff. While I appreciate your perspective again nothing in any other circumstance is the same. If your professor leaves and the new guy craps on your dream you can retake the class with a different professor you can transfer schools. You have options that you are not penalized for. I'm not saying every kid is d1 great I'm not saying every kid should get 100 chances . Im sure every kid that doesn't make it will create a new dream.
To paraphrase; kids shouldn't be considered as cattle, or talked about as such.

To paraphrase; kids shouldn't be considered as cattle, or talked about as such.
Unfortunately I think in the landscape of high coaches salaries, sponsor/tv contracts and always bigger and better facilities the "business" of college athletics has become all about winning and blinded some to the fact that these are children.

Unfortunately I think in the landscape of high coaches salaries, sponsor/tv contracts and always bigger and better facilities the "business" of college athletics has become all about winning and blinded some to the fact that these are children.
Kind of like they're no longer "student athletes" but rather "athletic $tudents".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom