Sharing my opinion... | Syracusefan.com

Sharing my opinion...

Hoov50

Starter
I know you have all been holding your breath waiting for my opinion on things, so here it is!

I haven’t been on the board lately and even though the season is over and we are looking at another coaching change, I wanted to point out some of the things that have bothered me the past few years. Some of these things have been going on from well before Coach Shafer took over and some from even before Coach Marrone, but in my mind these are some things that our new coaches NEED to address in order for us to be successful, what “successful” is at this time is up for debate.

A few of these things I have posted about in the past, so feel free to skim or ignore this post completely…

Defending spread offenses is something we have not done effectively. This hasn’t always translated to a loss, but it has translated to some wins where mediocre teams push us to the limits and mediocre players have All-American performances! We need a defensive coordinator who understands the spread offense and has multiple techniques to try and stop it, or at least slow it down. From coaching myself I can tell you defending the spread offense is difficult. It takes a good defensive coordinator to defend the spread. On the other hand it only takes an average defensive coordinator to defend the pro-style offense. Without really analyzing our schedule the past three years, I would venture to guess 8-10 of our opponents each year have run some variation of the spread offense. Let’s get a guy who knows how to defend it!

Getting into more specifics with our defense, our zone technique has been pathetic. To me it looks like our defenders are taught to get to a “landmark” when in zone defense. This is a common technique that many defenses use. However, most defenses then ask the defender to do something when they get to the landmark, read the quarterback, read the patterns being run, read a specific receiver, SOMETHING! Our defenders get the landmark and stand! I can’t even begin to count the number of times our defenders are standing at their landmark without a single offensive player within fifteen yards! “Find work” is a phrase I use and have heard many excellent coaches use when coaching the zone. Defensive players playing a zone should be aware of the patterns being run and the offensive players around or not around them and react accordingly. There have been almost as many times when receivers have snuck by our zone defenders. Our defenders are standing at their landmark while a wide open receiver is 3-4 yards away completely uncovered. Imagine if our 2-3 zone in basketball involved our guys standing still at their spot, regardless of what the opponents were doing. That’s what our football zone defenders seem to be doing on a regular basis.

Stupid penalties have killed us for the past 10 years! For me the straw that broke the camel's back was when Coach Shafer started picking up stupid penalties. I can tell you from my time as both an assistant and head coach that officials put up with a lot. Even the most temperamental ones give you a “one more word…” warning before throwing the flag. At that point most coaches regardless of how awful the call was know that they need to shut up. Football isn’t like basketball, in basketball sometimes a technical foul can get a team fired up and provide motivation. In football a fifteen yard unsportsmanlike penalty on the coach rarely has the same effect. Let me be clear, the vast majority of our stupid penalties have been on our players. Late hits, little shoves after the whistle, false starts, and delay of game penalties are all things that can be controlled. They are also all things our players have been guilty of on numerous occasions for what seems like forever.

Defense and lack of discipline weren’t our only problems. This past season we have gone back to the Coach DeLeone and Coach Pasqualoni days of the run, run, pass offense. The only difference was that with Coach D and Coach P we were winning 8-9 games consistently and going to bowls. I will admit our offense schemes and plays this season were much improved from the Coach McDonald experience of last year, but we still rarely unexpectedly stretched the field.

Coach Shafer and his staff did a good job of bringing in athletes. Given the right coaching choice we have the pieces to win 7-8 games next year in my opinion. I have confidence that AD Coyle knows what he is looking for and am hopeful that he can get his choice to come to SU.

For me we can’t be looking too far in the future when choosing a head coach. This time if we can get a Scott Frost, who may only be here until the Nebraska job opens, I say we should do it! If we get someone who has success, but leaves after 3-4 years we can use that success to help us find the next coach. Ideally, I would love to find a coach who does a great job and wants to stay at SU. With that being said, how do we know that is the case, we thought Doug Marrone fit that description.

Last edited:
Defending spread offenses is something most teams have not done effectively. which is why we need to run it.

we aren't likely to find a guy who can defend it effectively. if we try to find that guy, it's highly likely that he won't go spread on offense. so i'd rather accept that we won't stop it effectively while giving the opposing coach the same problem

Defending spread offenses is something most teams have not done effectively. which is why we need to run it.

we aren't likely to find a guy who can defend it effectively. if we try to find that guy, it's highly likely that he won't go spread on offense. so i'd rather accept that we won't stop it effectively while giving the opposing coach the same problem

Don't misunderstand me, I don't care what the head coach knows about defending the spread offense. I want a defensive coordinator who isn't as clueless as we have had.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't care what the head coach knows about defending the spread offense. I want a defensive coordinator who isn't as clueless as we have had.
gotcha thanks

babyceo.jpg

It has been like this for 10 years...sigh...we had the perfect opportunity to go spread in '05

What a great post. One of the reasons folks have thrown out for keeping Shafer were that he was a great defensive coach going through a down year... however I've been banging the drum that Shafer is a great D coach only when facing a pro-style offense or a very run oriented offense where his guys can sit on the run game. Any time we have faced a pass heavy offense with a mobile QB we have been torched and unfortunately almost all of college football is moving to the spread pass heavy featuring QB runs offense. I'm not technical enough to understand why we have sucked so hard against these types of offense but I think your analysis gave me some insight into that. I also agree on the discipline issues which have been going on since the Marrone years... this is one are where I thought Shafer had actually improved the team this year. Also whole-heartedly agree on run run pass... these guys wanted to grind out games and rely on their defense to win games for them... makes no sense given the state of college football in 2015 and more importantly how bad our D was at getting off the field in 2015.

What a great post. One of the reasons folks have thrown out for keeping Shafer were that he was a great defensive coach going through a down year... however I've been banging the drum that Shafer is a great D coach only when facing a pro-style offense or a very run oriented offense where his guys can sit on the run game. Any time we have faced a pass heavy offense with a mobile QB we have been torched and unfortunately almost all of college football is moving to the spread pass heavy featuring QB runs offense. I'm not technical enough to understand why we have sucked so hard against these types of offense but I think your analysis gave me some insight into that. I also agree on the discipline issues which have been going on since the Marrone years... this is one are where I thought Shafer had actually improved the team this year. Also whole-heartedly agree on run run pass... these guys wanted to grind out games and rely on their defense to win games for them... makes no sense given the state of college football in 2015 and more importantly how bad our D was at getting off the field in 2015.
a lot of teams can't even do that though. i cut shafer a lot of slack for not stopping spread passing attacks because who can stop those? but even though I cut shafer slack on defense for that, i end up wondering "well why do we have a defensive head coach then?"

a lot of teams can't even do that though. i cut shafer a lot of slack for not stopping spread passing attacks because who can stop those? but even though I cut shafer slack on defense for that, i end up wondering "well why do we have a defensive head coach then?"
I don't think its a matter of stopping a spread passing attack its a matter of slowing them down and getting off the field on 3rd and longs. Not every team gives up 30/40 points a game. Our problem is that we can't contain a spread offense because our secondary invariably gives up a big play. How many times have we seen guys running wide open in our secondary year after year? How many times have we been bubble screened to death? I still have nightmares of that Villanova QB basically running the same play over and over again without us being able to stop him time after time. I watch a decent amount of college football and most teams can at least prevent the 20 plus yard plays unless they are playing against an elite team... Our problem is that we make even mediocre spread teams look like an elite one (hello USF/Louisville I'm looking at you).

I don't think its a matter of stopping a spread passing attack its a matter of slowing them down and getting off the field on 3rd and longs. Not every team gives up 30/40 points a game. Our problem is that we can't contain a spread offense because our secondary invariably gives up a big play. How many times have we seen guys running wide open in our secondary year after year? How many times have we been bubble screened to death? I still have nightmares of that Villanova QB basically running the same play over and over again without us being able to stop him time after time. I watch a decent amount of college football and most teams can at least prevent the 20 plus yard plays unless they are playing against an elite team... Our problem is that we make even mediocre spread teams look like an elite one (hello USF/Louisville I'm looking at you).
this year, yes, i agree we were worse than just about everyone when the ball was in the air. (that's what's so amazing about BC being SO BAD). other years, i'm not so sure we were that much better or worse. certainly did fine against WVU

this year, yes, i agree we were worse than just about everyone when the ball was in the air. (that's what's so amazing about BC being SO BAD). other years, i'm not so sure we were that much better or worse. certainly did fine against WVU
We did fine against Geno Smith. When it was Pat White I don't remember us doing so well. If someone wants to add "stopped Geno Smith" to their d coordinator resume, have at it.

To be fair to Shafer when he was d-coordinator we had some NFL level sophisticated blitz schemes which we seem to have lost a lot of when Shafer moved to head coach. Shafer was pretty consistently able to confuse the hell out of Geno which not many defenses he played were able to do. As we have seen in the pros if someone throws sophisticated pressure against Geno, he folds like a cheap tent. Not sure what has changed in the last three years... maybe just talent.

If Marquis Blair had been cleared by the NCAA or a DB of equal ability had come (some were in the pipeline) that ball over the top would be shut down and the blitz would have time to get to the QB. 1 player.

We did fine against Geno Smith. When it was Pat White I don't remember us doing so well. If someone wants to add "stopped Geno Smith" to their d coordinator resume, have at it.

To be fair to Shafer when he was d-coordinator we had some NFL level sophisticated blitz schemes which we seem to have lost a lot of when Shafer moved to head coach. Shafer was pretty consistently able to confuse the hell out of Geno which not many defenses he played were able to do. As we have seen in the pros if someone throws sophisticated pressure against Geno, he folds like a cheap tent. Not sure what has changed in the last three years... maybe just talent.
Shafer wasn't here for Pat White

If Marquis Blair had been cleared by the NCAA or a DB of equal ability had come (some were in the pipeline) that ball over the top would be shut down and the blitz would have time to get to the QB. 1 player.
How do you know that? To assume that is ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom