Shirt World On Marshall St... | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...Is a joke. The guy that owns the store, Dave Jacobs, former SU kicker, is such a crook. Their shady business practices were in full swing with me recently.

I've been trying to get my paws on one of those sweet throwback jerseys and knew Shirt World had them in stock. I called them early last week and found out that they were out of XXLs. Dave tried to sell me an XL over the phone, (no Dave, I'm 6'4 and 260, an XL won't fit me) but I said no dice. He then called me back at 9:45pm two days later to say he could get a XXL for me from a vendor friend of his and it would get to the store, whereupon he would ship it to me. He told me he should have it by last Friday (2/14) or Saturday at the latest.

Fast forward to this morning, where I get a phone call from Mr. Shirt World himself. The jersey is in, cost to me? $145. I said, say what now? The jersey sticker price is $120. Dave said "well sales tax over $100 in NY state is 8% (actually it's 4%) and the rest would cover shipping to me. Shipping costs $15? No way.

Basically he wanted to recoup the cost of having his vendor friend ship it out to him. He passed the shipping charge for that on to me. So basically I would have been paying TWICE for shipping.

I called him back and said hell no. And honestly, despite the fact that they have the BEST selection of NIKE Elite SU Basketball apparel, which I like the best, I won't be shopping there anymore. Their bait and switch and shenanigans with the cash register and prices are too much. Manny's all the way!!

Anyone else with any Shirt World horror stories?

HakAttack said:
...Is a joke. The guy that owns the store, Dave Jacobs, former SU kicker, is such a crook. Their shady business practices were in full swing with me recently. I've been trying to get my paws on one of those sweet throwback jerseys and knew Shirt World had them in stock. I called them early last week and found out that they were out of XXLs. Dave tried to sell me an XL over the phone, (no Dave, I'm 6'4 and 260, an XL won't fit me) but I said no dice. He then called me back at 9:45pm two days later to say he could get a XXL for me from a vendor friend of his and it would get to the store, whereupon he would ship it to me. He told me he should have it by last Friday (2/14) or Saturday at the latest. Fast forward to this morning, where I get a phone call from Mr. Shirt World himself. The jersey is in, cost to me? $145. I said, say what now? The jersey sticker price is $120. Dave said "well sales tax over $100 in NY state is 8% (actually it's 4%) and the rest would cover shipping to me. Shipping costs $15? No way. Basically he wanted to recoup the cost of having his vendor friend ship it out to him. He passed the shipping charge for that on to me. So basically I would have been paying TWICE for shipping. I called him back and said hell no. And honestly, despite the fact that they have the BEST selection of NIKE Elite SU Basketball apparel, which I like the best, I won't be shopping there anymore. Their bait and switch and shenanigans with the cash register and prices are too much. Manny's all the way!! Anyone else with any Shirt World horror stories?

That's bad business right there. I can't stand crap like that and this story will make sure I never purchase anything from there. Unless I get a really good deal or the price difference isn't that much I'll buy things in a store, otherwise I always buy online.

We had a classic thread on here 2 years ago where everyone was sharing their Dave Jacobs horror stories. I think he actually prides himself on being Mr. Bait and Switch. Its the most shady business in all of CNY, but they have a few great things that Manny doesn't sometimes. Its comical how sketchy the dude is.

Below is the picture that appears on the homepage of the Better Business Bureau.
10442561-large.jpg

Last edited:
Took my Wife to Outback for Valentines. They way over cooked her steak she ordered medium rare and it was completly burnt. They took it back and said her meal would be Free. When I got the Bill they charged us twice for her meal and took one of them off to make it look like they gave her a free meal. The Marine came out of me really quickly!! We didn't pay for the meal after that. Just another place I'm not alowed to ever go into again in my town that sells Booz!

Took my Wife to Outback for Valentines. They way over cooked her steak she ordered medium rare and it was completly burnt. They took it back and said her meal would be Free. When I got the Bill they charged us twice for her meal and took one of them off to make it look like they gave her a free meal. The Marine came out of me really quickly!! We didn't pay for the meal after that. Just another place I'm not alowed to ever go into again in my town that sells Booz!

Uhhhhhhh...

You're a menace to society.

We had a classic thread on here 2 years ago where everyone was sharing their Dave Jacobs horror stories. I think he actually prides himself on being Mr. Bait and Switch. Its the most shady business in all of CNY, but they have a few great things that Manny doesn't sometimes. Its comical how sketchy the dude is.
10442561-large.jpg

LOL...I remember that thread...I was amazed at the number of posters that had had bad experiences there.

I haven't been in there since.

Either Manny's or SU Bookstore.

Yes. Happened to my wife and I called him out on it. We walked into the store because my wife wanted a new Cuse shirt for the upcoming season. They said the shirts were buy one, get one free. The store was busy, my wife and I looked around for 15 minutes and found a couple shirts we like. Waited in line over ten minutes, when its our turn, the guy running the register gives us the total. I said, its supposed to be buy one, get one. He's like yeah, the free one is one of those shirts over there on a specific rack. Of course it was a poorly made short sleeve t-shirt. Ended up buying nothing and wasted half an hour. I wasn't gonna give him the satisfaction of getting the sale.

Below is the picture that appears on the homepage of the Better Business Bureau.
10442561-large.jpg

Can anyone find that thread? I'd LOVE to read it!

...Is a joke. The guy that owns the store, Dave Jacobs, former SU kicker, is such a crook. Their shady business practices were in full swing with me recently.

I've been trying to get my paws on one of those sweet throwback jerseys and knew Shirt World had them in stock. I called them early last week and found out that they were out of XXLs. Dave tried to sell me an XL over the phone, (no Dave, I'm 6'4 and 260, an XL won't fit me) but I said no dice. He then called me back at 9:45pm two days later to say he could get a XXL for me from a vendor friend of his and it would get to the store, whereupon he would ship it to me. He told me he should have it by last Friday (2/14) or Saturday at the latest.

Fast forward to this morning, where I get a phone call from Mr. Shirt World himself. The jersey is in, cost to me? $145. I said, say what now? The jersey sticker price is $120. Dave said "well sales tax over $100 in NY state is 8% (actually it's 4%) and the rest would cover shipping to me. Shipping costs $15? No way.

Basically he wanted to recoup the cost of having his vendor friend ship it out to him. He passed the shipping charge for that on to me. So basically I would have been paying TWICE for shipping.

I called him back and said hell no. And honestly, despite the fact that they have the BEST selection of NIKE Elite SU Basketball apparel, which I like the best, I won't be shopping there anymore. Their bait and switch and shenanigans with the cash register and prices are too much. Manny's all the way!!

I know that Jacobs has his issues but I'm not seeing it here.

The sales tax exemption, which I didn't know started Feb 1, ends at $110, so he was telling you the truth about the sales tax. Do you really think it's unfair for him to want recoup the extra shipping cost for him to special order the shirt for you?

I know that Jacobs has his issues but I'm not seeing it here.

The sales tax exemption, which I didn't know started Feb 1, ends at $110, so he was telling you the truth about the sales tax. Do you really think it's unfair for him to want recoup the extra shipping cost for him to special order the shirt for you?

So far I'm seeing Pro Shirt World: 1 (you) and Con Shirt World: anyone who replied to this thread.

So yeah, I'd say he's shady. Plus who knows if I'd ever have gotten the jersey in the mail.

*Edited the link*

XXL still available:
http://bookweb.syr.edu/ePOS?this_ca...r=W49405&form=shared3/gm/detail.html&design=1

So far I'm seeing Pro Shirt World: 1 (you) and Con Shirt World: anyone who replied to this thread.

So yeah, I'd say he's shady. Plus who knows if I'd ever have gotten the jersey in the mail.

It's not pro anything, I acknowledge that there is a lot of evidence, but why don't you explain where he was in the wrong in YOUR case.

The only person who was wrong was you on the 8% sales tax.

I hope everyone is ok...? :)

Is this the store where you walk in and they immediately start trying to telling you about their sales and every corner you turn there is another worker trying to tell you about their sales. I will never go in there again. It is almost like they were following you around the whole time. I will go to Manny's or order online.

Here is the post I left on Google Maps a few years ago about my experience at Shart World:

I'm not a disgruntled former employee or a competitor of the store. I just had a bad experience at Shirt World during Christmas 2010. I live in San Diego and was back in 'Cuse visiting family for the Holidays. I needed to stock up on Cuse gear and had picked out a shirt for my wife at Shirt World. I waited in line behind another guy while DAVE completed the sale. DAVE fielded 2 - 3 phone calls while helping the customer in front of me. We both exchanged a frustrated look, but we're just going to deal with it. When it came my turn, Dave asked me to "hang on about 2 minutes" and proceeded to place another call. So I decided to leave and go to Manny's instead - only to be followed out of the store by a shouting DAVE hurling insults at me. He told me to "have a nice life" among other things as I walked down the block. Yikes.​

What I didn't write in the review is how I walked back toward the store to try to explain myself to Dave and he was totally immune to any sort of reasoning. Things then got pretty heated and a couple of his buddies (wisely) felt the need to place themselves between the two of us. I'm not at all a confrontational person and that was the closest I've gotten to getting in a fist fight in a decade.

Is this the store where you walk in and they immediately start trying to telling you about their sales and every corner you turn there is another worker trying to tell you about their sales. I will never go in there again. It is almost like they were following you around the whole time. I will go to Manny's or order online.

Yup. Sure is.

Here is the post I left on Google Maps a few years ago about my experience at Shart World:

I'm not a disgruntled former employee or a competitor of the store. I just had a bad experience at Shirt World during Christmas 2010. I live in San Diego and was back in 'Cuse visiting family for the Holidays. I needed to stock up on Cuse gear and had picked out a shirt for my wife at Shirt World. I waited in line behind another guy while DAVE completed the sale. DAVE fielded 2 - 3 phone calls while helping the customer in front of me. We both exchanged a frustrated look, but we're just going to deal with it. When it came my turn, Dave asked me to "hang on about 2 minutes" and proceeded to place another call. So I decided to leave and go to Manny's instead - only to be followed out of the store by a shouting DAVE hurling insults at me. He told me to "have a nice life" among other things as I walked down the block. Yikes.​

What I didn't write in the review is how I walked back toward the store to try to explain myself to Dave and he was totally immune to any sort of reasoning. Things then got pretty heated and a couple of his buddies (wisely) felt the need to place themselves between the two of us. I'm not at all a confrontational person and that was the closest I've gotten to getting in a fist fight in a decade.
The dude is completely unhinged. He is Ray Finkle.
th

I've had 2 bad experiences with Shirt World. The first occurred about 5 or so years ago at the Fair. I noticed my entire credit card # was on the merchant's receipt, so I crossed off all of the #'s except for the last 4. The older blonde woman who was cashing me out began arguing with me, and tried to tell me that I could not do that. I told her I most certainly could, and when she would not let me have my merchandise, unless I kept the #'s on there, I told her I did not want the $140 order.

Well, just last week I decided to give it a whirl again. I was purchasing one small item for under $5.00, and I proceeded to hand over my credit card. It got the same blonde woman, who then turned to the man behind her as if to ask if I could pay with a credit card for such a small order. He then said yes, just charge it $1. Without even asking my permission to charge the $1, she then proceeded to run my card, when I told her to wait. I said if there's a $1 charge going on their for a credit card purchase, I do not want the order. I then left the goods again and walked out of the store.

Never will I attempt to purchase anything from there ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom