Should 44 be used as a recruiting tool... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Should 44 be used as a recruiting tool...

From the 2015 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations manual:
View attachment 64716

According to this, the QB can technically be anything from 1 to 49. And even though the wording says 'It is strongly recommended' and not required, if I am Syracuse, I am not taking my chances with any unusual interpretations of NCAA rules. Personally, I have never seen an interior lineman wear anything but 50-79.

True but we all have seen offensive tackles in the 50's or 60's, tons of wrs wearing 0-49, 80-89. These "Suggestions " seem very liberal.

True but we all have seen offensive tackles in the 50's or 60's, tons of wrs wearing 0-49, 80-89. These "Suggestions " seem very liberal.
Tackles were included in what I called 'interior linemen'. Maybe not technically correct, but that was how I was using it.

I can remember when Mandel Robinson was being recruited and the no.44 was a very prominent decision on why choosing Syracuse as it was used then as a recruiting tool.
I'm not familiar with him. What time period is he from. I think the thing about it going to the starter was something I read in an article a while back when the idea of having it retired or bringing it back was still being debated. My memory could be fuzzy.

I'm not familiar with him. What time period is he from. I think the thing about it going to the starter was something I read in an article a while back when the idea of having it retired or bringing it back was still being debated. My memory could be fuzzy.
Mid 70's