Should Syracuse football 'Restore 44' for 4-star RB Robert Washington? (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Should Syracuse football 'Restore 44' for 4-star RB Robert Washington? (PS)

the strickland interview said it best--in essence you need to play your way into that number---yes unretire 44 but whoever gets it must earn it(it would help if they have an offensive line)

They should restore it just so we can take that stupid giant garbage bag looking thing down from the corner of the Dome, and maybe forget the circumstances of when it was retired...a 27-0 loss to USF...probably the worst game in our worst season ever. Every time I see the retired number, it makes me think of being at that awful game where I don't recall one good play by our squad.

tipphill said:
the strickland interview said it best--in essence you need to play your way into that number---yes unretire 44 but whoever gets it must earn it(it would help if they have an offensive line)

That's a different tradition. Never been used that way.

tipphill said:

Keep it in the rafters if that's how we'd use it. Sorry I just don't think the Prince Tyson-Gulley, and Antwan Baileys of the world should be rewarded #44 because they are the starting running back thst year. Both had nice careers, but It's a recruiting tool. Use it as such.

anomander said:
Keep it in the rafters if that's how we'd use it. Sorry I just don't think the Prince Tyson-Gulley, and Antwan Baileys of the world should be rewarded #44 because they are the starting running back thst year. Both had nice careers, but It's a recruiting tool. Use it as such.

Exactly. If it's going to brought back, and it should be, bringing it back for what it was intended for, a recruiting tool. There's gonna be hits and misses. But if it's gonna be brought back to be "earned", then leave it in the rafters. Anyone that doesn't understand that, doesn't understand the legend of 44.

But If he were to choose SU you would meet me in the dome to help pull 44 off the wall to give to him, right?

If they restore it, Jim Brown will walk through the concrete walls of the Dome and glare at the "jersey" on the wall until it comes down, whimpering, under its own power. At which point it will apologize to Jim, who will use it to wipe his brow before turning to the next recipient, Mean Joe Greene style, and saying, "hey, kid, catch". Any future 44 who does not live up to Mr. Brown's expectations will be met with a fate of Mr. Brown's choosing.

If they restore it, Jim Brown will walk through the concrete walls of the Dome and glare at the "jersey" on the wall until it comes down, whimpering, under its own power. At which point it will apologize to Jim, who will use it to wipe his brow before turning to the next recipient, Mean Joe Greene style, and saying, "hey, kid, catch". Any future 44 who does not live up to Mr. Brown's expectations will be met with a fate of Mr. Brown's choosing.

...so this Is how the carrier dome expansion starts?

Maybe Jim could hang it from a balcony, then drop it.

Do or do not. Upgrading football is our purpose; if restoring it aids us in fulfillment of our purpose, what do we have to lose?
syracuse1.png

As I suggested on another site, bring back 44 and award it to a recruit that staff find worthy. HOWEVER, if the recruit's on the field performance isn't up to his recruiting hype, demote him to the ranks (take 44 away) and give it to the next coming of Ernie Davis.

Did Ernie and Floyd have to earn it? What if you hold out to give it to a senior and such a worthy player decides to go pro after his Junior year?

Why in the hell not? At this stage of the game, we literally stink. S.U. has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Throw in the towel, boys, 44 is comin' back. The kid will bust his ass to live up to it, and the coaches had better draft a good OL. Pulls fans in, too. Win/win IMHO.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but in the article did they have to use a picture of an actor portraying a famous 44? I'm sure somewhere in their archives they could have scrounged up a picture of Brown, Davis, Little or even Konrad or Owens. Hell, I'd take a picture of Mandel Robinson or Glenn Moore!