Shows you only started watching after their original run | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shows you only started watching after their original run

I watched a lot of shows after they were done. Which was nice because I'm impatient. Plus other people test drove so you knew you wouldn't be disappointed.

Breaking Bad
The Wire
Sons of Anarchy
Mad Men
Schitt's Creek

To name a few, I'm sure there's more.

I'm usually like that but did see Mad Men in its initial run and let me tell you that that was not the superior way to experience it.

Because nothing happens.

Every Sunday night, after an hour of TV with copious commercials, the credits would roll and we're scratching our heads wondering what we just watched. Forget about Seinfeld, Mad Men is truly the show about nothing. And there's too little narrative drive to enjoy it once every seven days.

That said, it's got a nice style to it and the immersive experience of binge-watching via streaming suits it a lot better.

That said, it's got a nice style to it and the immersive experience of binge-watching via streaming suits it a lot better.

Yeah, I can't go back and watch it the regular way. But it was easy to binge. It was so mesmerizing as a period piece. The way the office runs with smoking, drinking, male/female roles. I'd wake up coughing, with a hangover and telling my wife to get my breakfast.

For reasons unexplained, my wife and I watched the entire run of Star Trek Next Generation over the summer. Had seen many of them during the 90’s so wasn’t really new to us. It was simultaneously better and worse than I remembered.

What struck me was how, at the time, the show was on the vanguard of “PC” culture and clearly thought of itself as what we would call be considered pre- or maybe proto-woke thinking for it’s day. And now to see it, it’s laughable how non-PC it would be considered today. Particularly how they portrayed and dealt with female characters. Just ridiculous!

I know this is a complete move away from the OP, but in high school I worked in a kitchen with two younger guys who got into the honeymooners one summer. This was mid to late 80’s. Definitely not the brightest guys. So, they’re in the middle of a conversation about an episode one guy had seen the previous night. And he says, ’it was a repeat.’ We went off on him.

I know that guy.

20130713-035243.jpg

Yeah, I can't go back and watch it the regular way. But it was easy to binge. It was so mesmerizing as a period piece. The way the office runs with smoking, drinking, male/female roles. I'd wake up coughing, with a hangover and telling my wife to get my breakfast.
That show just made me wish it was still socially acceptable to have a bottle of liquor in the office drawer. I still randomly think about that when I’m at work.

I don’t even really drink liquor either.

That show just made me wish it was still socially acceptable to have a bottle of liquor in the office drawer. I still randomly think about that when I’m at work.

I don’t even really drink liquor either.

I know! But they make it look so great. Well, maybe not Roger’s early morning White Russians. But the Canadian Club, yes please.

My wife and I are halfway through Downton Abbey. Man we are so late on so many shows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom