Silent G at the 2, Cooney as 6th Man... | Syracusefan.com

Silent G at the 2, Cooney as 6th Man...

TBCuse11

Starter
is this such a bad idea? I would honestly rather have Mike shooting right now than Trevor... and he just seems to be more aggressive this year and have more confidence. Cooney can be first man in, and G slides down to replace Roberson. Anyone who questions Cooney here is thought of as a "hater", but in reality we just want to have some semblance of an offense.

You cant start each game 5 on 4. Cooney has become his own worst enemy and its getting scary now. He never drives the paint, ever. Gotta mix things up because when u are a catch and shoot player and cant make more than 25%, thats no good...

I think Rak is much improved. I think Mike is much improved. I think McCollough is VERY good.
But without Trevor getting better, we are a bubble team,

Cooney isn't taking any minutes from Mike IMO. Without looking I'd bet Miek, Trevor and Kaleb all played about 30min. I'm not sure bringing Cooney off the bench helps that much as long as Mike is getting his minutes.

You said he never drives which is false. He drove it about 3 times last night did you watch? He does need to shoot better and those off the dribble fading sideways shots are no good for sure. The two he made were catch and shoot which is where he is good but we aren't going to get a lot of good catch and shoot looks for Cooney unless other guys start to step up and we play some organized offense or get them for him as a trailor on the break.

The problems last night were far more involved than Cooney missing shots or not being diverse enough on offense, both of which are issues. It was almost a comedy of errors at times so I have a pretty hard time singling guys out but if I had to the biggest issue IMO was Joseph playing cautiously to the point that it was predictable and sloppy. I think that was the biggest detriment to getting anything consistent going on offense and I expect this is one of the most easily correctable things. Kaleb play like Kaleb Joseph! Aggressive and attacking. I do think that Chris and Mike managed to play hard and aggressive all game which was a bright spot.

Cooney isn't taking any minutes from Mike IMO. Without looking I'd bet Miek, Trevor and Kaleb all played about 30min. I'm not sure bringing Cooney off the bench helps that much as long as Mike is getting his minutes.

You said he never drives which is false. He drove it about 3 times last night did you watch? He does need to shoot better and those off the dribble fading sideways shots are no good for sure. The two he made were catch and shoot which is where he is good but we aren't going to get a lot of good catch and shoot looks for Cooney unless other guys start to step up and we play some organized offense or get them for him as a trailor on the break.

The problems last night were far more involved than Cooney missing shots or not being diverse enough on offense, both of which are issues. It was almost a comedy of errors at times so I have a pretty hard time singling guys out. I do think that Chris and Mike managed to play hard and aggressive all game which was a bright spot.

Its just tough to see people always make an excuse or deflect blame. Cooney is our "go to" guy allegedly, and he looked like a freshman. I said Cooney never drives the lane, i stand by that. His drives are all out of control base line drives that have almost no chance of working. I understand that we have alot of issues, but the young guys will get better. I dont think Trevor will.

And say what u will, but the 2 minutes Patterson played were the best two defensive minutes we had all night.

Its just tough to see people always make an excuse or deflect blame. Cooney is our "go to" guy allegedly, and he looked like a freshman. I said Cooney never drives the lane, i stand by that. His drives are all out of control base line drives that have almost no chance of working. I understand that we have alot of issues, but the young guys will get better. I dont think Trevor will.

And say what u will, but the 2 minutes Patterson played were the best two defensive minutes we had all night.

Saying he isn't good at driving is different than saying he doesn't ever do it. He made an effort to do it when his shot wasn't falling and did it although not very successfully. I'm not making any excuses just adding my thoughts and I'm not going to get into an extended Cooney shouldn't start or play as much argument when we had about 5 guys that looked like they didn't belong out there last night.

Saying he isn't good at driving is different than saying he doesn't ever do it. He made an effort to do it when his shot wasn't falling and did it although not very successfully. I'm not making any excuses just adding my thoughts and I'm not going to get into an extended Cooney shouldn't start or play as much argument when we had about 5 guys that looked like they didn't belong out there last night.

yes, yes we did... but most of them were freshmen. Our 4th year junior also looked lost. that is scary.

And one guy who didnt look lost was G, a guy who doesnt start...
I guess time will tell.

Cooney is too easy to guard at the high D1 level.

It's not that he can't shoot, it's that he can't get open. Which leads to forcing bad shots (feet not set, fading) when he's even SLIGHTLY open. Teams can play him tight because he doesn't have the quickness to hurt them off the bounce.

Yes, like any guard, he can occasionally get by his man. But it's not like he's going to beat you going to the rim and finishing. He's not that type of athlete. Opposing coaches will give us that all day.

Our starting 5 should be Joseph, Cooney, Gbinije, McCullough, Roc

Roberson needs some help out there and coming off the bench to play against tired starters or other backups might be just enough to get him to be productive on the offensive end.

Will this ever happen? Barring injury, no. But I'd like to see it.

I'm going to pile on Cooney but he's still a better option than the other guards.

I'd bench Roberson for Gbinije and go Joseph, Cooney, G, Rak and McCullough

I've said it all summer, you cannot have your backup PG starting. Especially with Joseph not showing he is ready.

i like G up top in the zone. Was watching the finals vs Kansas the other day and saw Kueth up top in the zone. He was not really even a guard, not a great shooter... but the length was huge. Cooney just doesnt fit the bill of our zone defenders

G and BJ for Cooney and Roberson. I think Cooney could play the spark off the bench role very well. I think BJ is a better offensive option right now than Roberson. I do think Roberson showed some good signs. He's so close, made some nice moves, just can't get the ball to go in. We have a nice collection of young talent, HOFer gonna have to earn his money this year.

Either Roberson or Cooney needs to go to the bench, preferably both. G is too good of a player both offensively and defensively to be the sixth man on a team screaming for someone to take control.

I'd go with Joseph-Cooney-G-McCullough-Rak with Patterson-BJJ-Roberson coming off the bench OR Joseph-G-BJJ-McCullough-Rak with Cooney as sixth man and Patterson-Roberson off the bench.

Joseph looked awful last night but he needs to get better and be a big part of this team if we plan on doing anything in March so he should just needs to be forced minutes and continue to mature.

I keep beating a dead horse but you cannot have a forward who can't shoot the 3 ball and be good offensively ESPECIALLY when that player isn't making up for it on the defensive end/rebounding/finishing around the basket. The best way, IMO, to use him is off the bench as an undersized 4 to give McCullough and Rak breathers. I honestly can't imagine what JB sees in practice that warrants playing Roberson in anything more than a bench role who provides some minutes where he can play around the basket.

Either Roberson or Cooney needs to go to the bench, preferably both. G is too good of a player both offensively and defensively to be the sixth man on a team screaming for someone to take control.

I'd go with Joseph-Cooney-G-McCullough-Rak with Patterson-BJJ-Roberson coming off the bench OR Joseph-G-BJJ-McCullough-Rak with Cooney as sixth man and Patterson-Roberson off the bench.

Joseph looked awful last night but he needs to get better and be a big part of this team if we plan on doing anything in March so he should just needs to be forced minutes and continue to mature.

I keep beating a dead horse but you cannot have a forward who can't shoot the 3 ball and be good offensively ESPECIALLY when that player isn't making up for it on the defensive end/rebounding/finishing around the basket. The best way, IMO, to use him is off the bench as an undersized 4 to give McCullough and Rak breathers. I honestly can't imagine what JB sees in practice that warrants playing Roberson in anything more than a bench role who provides some minutes where he can play around the basket.
does anyone know of a site with good plus minus data?

i hate seeing gbinije on the bench when everything is unraveling

Cooney is too easy to guard at the high D1 level.

It's not that he can't shoot, it's that he can't get open. Which leads to forcing bad shots (feet not set, fading) when he's even SLIGHTLY open. Teams can play him tight because he doesn't have the quickness to hurt them off the bounce.

Yes, like any guard, he can occasionally get by his man. But it's not like he's going to beat you going to the rim and finishing. He's not that type of athlete. Opposing coaches will give us that all day.

The weird thing is that it's not an athleticism problem. He's more explosive than GMac and Rautins, but those guys were able to get open more often it seems.

The weird thing is that it's not an athleticism problem. He's more explosive than GMac and Rautins, but those guys were able to get open more often it seems.

More scoring threats on the floor, which opened it up a bit more. But they were also masters at running themselves off of screens.
Gmac was also a PG, so some of his shots came off the dribble unlike Cooney who always seems to catch and shoot (amidst a fade).

Silent G is going to be our most important player this year. Chris and Rak will do their thing, but with no semblance of offense from Cooney... G has to take over. People forget, or ignore, that G was signed by DUKE. he has talent. He is versatile. He would start and play 35 minutes on 95% of the teams in America. We are not good enough for him to not play that role for us.

More scoring threats on the floor, which opened it up a bit more. But they were also masters at running themselves off of screens.
Gmac was also a PG, so some of his shots came off the dribble unlike Cooney who always seems to catch and shoot (amidst a fade).
They were also GOOD SHOOTERS lol. I don't get why people think Cooney is a good shooter? Because he's a white shooting guard who by default must be a good shooter?

Cooney looked so overmatched physically and talent wise last night meanwhile G looked like the best player on the court when he was out there.

I have a feeling this board is going to collectively lose it's mind if G doesn't take the starting spot away from Cooney or Roberson.

Cooney isn't the issue...you've got a PG that isn't even close to being ready to play at this level. Joseph needs to be getting 8 minutes a game not 35.

Cooney isn't the issue...you've got a PG that isn't even close to being ready to play at this level. Joseph needs to be getting 8 minutes a game not 35.
What was the problem at the end of last year when we had Ennis, CJ, and Grant, Trevor still couldn't score? Trevor is what he is a stationary shooter, and its pointless to suggest he come off the bench. JB doesn't pull someone from the starting lineup who averages 30+ minutes. Everyone just has to live with the fact, that this year and next, the team depends on Trevor.

What was the problem at the end of last year when we had Ennis, CJ, and Grant, Trevor still couldn't score? Trevor is what he is a stationary shooter, and its pointless to suggest he come off the bench. JB doesn't pull someone from the starting lineup who averages 30+ minutes. Everyone just has to live with the fact, that this year and next, the team depends on Trevor.
Awesome. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Cooney's shooting has been lack-luster and disappointing but going 2-6 last night from 3pt range isn't exactly worthy of getting him bathed in flame. If anything we should be looking at BJ's 0-8 shooting performance, Joseph's .75 Assist to Turnover ratio or Rak limiting himself to 23 minutes because he couldn't stay out of foul trouble. That's what alarms me.

The only highlight I saw from last nights game was Gbinije's aggressiveness of offense which gives me some hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom