Silent G send to the D-League | Syracusefan.com

Silent G send to the D-League

This is just a general observation and directed towards no one -- a pet peeve of mine is when people talk about the D-League like it's full of losers. If you play in this league you are still one of the most elite basketball players on the planet Earth.

This is just a general observation and directed towards no one -- a pet peeve of mine is when people talk about the D-League like it's full of losers. If you play in this league you are still one of the most elite basketball players on the planet Earth.
The abbreviation seems to carry a negative connotation, too. The should have called it the Aspirational League so it would shorten to A-League. I'm only half-kidding.

I heard on NBA-TV that 30% of the players on opening day rosters had spent time in the D-League at some point in their careers

The abbreviation seems to carry a negative connotation, too. The should have called it the Aspirational League so it would shorten to A-League. I'm only half-kidding.

The name is terrible. Is the ABA still a thing in some weird way or is that name up for grabs? If it's available, why not call the D-League the ABA like the NHL does with the AHL?

Its not full of losers, but when when you have big time aspirations of playing in the Nba, its a bit of a letdown.

I think this could be a good thing. Given that he played not even half of a college season and then got hurt and missed much of last season too, he needs playing time and game experience. He's not getting much of that at this point in the season for the Nets.

I would bet he gets a lot of time for the Nets later in the season once they are clearly out of playoff contention, as they likely will be. But for now, I think he needs court time wherever he can get it.

I think this could be a good thing. Given that he played not even half of a college season and then got hurt and missed much of last season too, he needs playing time and game experience. He's not getting much of that at this point in the season for the Nets.

I would bet he gets a lot of time for the Nets later in the season once they are clearly out of playoff contention, as they likely will be. But for now, I think he needs court time wherever he can get it.

Umm hate to burst your bubble but the Nets were eliminated from the play-offs the day the season started

Umm hate to burst your bubble but the Nets were eliminated from the play-offs the day the season started

They won't admit that to themselves for a few months though.

The name is terrible. Is the ABA still a thing in some weird way or is that name up for grabs? If it's available, why not call the D-League the ABA like the NHL does with the AHL?

The NBA has looked into that issue from a brand stand point. they have done nothing about it except upgrade the web/mobile experience before last season.

The problem is that the D League pays about as much as being a manager at McDonalds. Until they change the pay scale to make it decent, it will continue to be viewed as the Losers League.

The problem is that the D League pays about as much as being a manager at McDonalds. Until they change the pay scale to make it decent, it will continue to be viewed as the Losers League.

They are working on this in the new CBA. Melo is leading the charge.

This is only for guys that don't have an NBA contract correct? The contracts are guaranteed even if you get sent down to D league, aren't they?

Last edited:
This is only for guys that don't have an NBA contract correct? The contracts are guaranteed even of you get sent down to D league, aren't they?

That's my understanding. There are guys who get sent to the D league signed to NBA teams (good) and guys who sign with D league teams (not so good.)

That's my understanding. There are guys who get sent to the D league signed to NBA teams (good) and guys who sign with D league teams (not so good.)

Which means the guys getting sent down aren't going to get the best possible competition level. How long can you play D league waiting for an NBA chance when you can make good money over seas. There are only so many earning years for an athlete. Its really a shame that the NBA doesn't have a good minor league to develop players. I hope Melo gets the pay raise through.

Something else they could think about is allowing guys to go right to D league out of highschool and then be draftable the following season. College isn't for everyone and it may spice up the product if fans think they are seeing the future stars of the NBA playing. They could even let Calipari coach one of the teams ;)

I'm late to this thread and my summary was likely covered, but the league(tm)(actually I'm having difficulty recalling if the NFL or NBA had the tm on that). I will take a moment to balance some of the negative things Ive said about google by saying I was VERY impressed with it's ability to adjust using keywords, but particularly the one where I put a - in front of. In the end, having the answer before I posted didnt matter enough to me.

Anyhow just wanted to quickly repeat(Im guessing) that The League has evolved over time, and in the past it's possible some of the negative connotations of the D-league. I agree with br801 who points out that the NAME/LETTER alone would likely change the connotation a bit in discussion. For a league that must employ marketing experts familiar with much more minutia, it seems the NBA is satisfied with and/or doesnt care about fan's perception of the league, or they would make that simple change.

Which means the guys getting sent down aren't going to get the best possible competition level. How long can you play D league waiting for an NBA chance when you can make good money over seas. There are only so many earning years for an athlete. Its really a shame that the NBA doesn't have a good minor league to develop players. I hope Melo gets the pay raise through.

Something else they could think about is allowing guys to go right to D league out of highschool and then be draftable the following season. College isn't for everyone and it may spice up the product if fans think they are seeing the future stars of the NBA playing. They could even let Calipari coach one of the teams ;)

You're implying that playing in Europe is somehow a better level of competition than the D-league?
That's highly debatable.

The NBA has an excellent minor league - it's called the NCAA. :p

The guys getting sent down are STILL ON CONTRACT with their NBA team - they're getting PAID.
Silent G is making some nice coin - and getting a LOT more PT in the D-league - AND better competition, than occasional scrub minutes in blowouts w/ the Pistons, against other scrubs in "extended garbahge time", as Marv would say.

It's the guys (like CJ, et al) who sign w/ a D-league team and do NOT have an NBA contract, that work for peanuts.
Many of those guys might be better served financially playing in Europe, etc.
But - they all harbor dreams of making it in the NBA, and you can't blame them for giving it a shot.
There have been plenty of guys who have followed that route to successful, lucrative NBA careers.

(granted, it's still the exception, not the rule - but then again, 99% of all college athletes never go Pro, period - so they're all fighting the odds)

You're implying that playing in Europe is somehow a better level of competition than the D-league?
That's highly debatable.

The NBA has an excellent minor league - it's called the NCAA. :p

The guys getting sent down are STILL ON CONTRACT with their NBA team - they're getting PAID.
Silent G is making some nice coin - and getting a LOT more PT in the D-league - AND better competition, than occasional scrub minutes in blowouts w/ the Pistons, against other scrubs in "extended garbahge time", as Marv would say.

It's the guys (like CJ, et al) who sign w/ a D-league team and do NOT have an NBA contract, that work for peanuts.
Many of those guys might be better served financially playing in Europe, etc.
But - they all harbor dreams of making it in the NBA, and you can't blame them for giving it a shot.
There have been plenty of guys who have followed that route to successful, lucrative NBA careers.

(granted, it's still the exception, not the rule - but then again, 99% of all college athletes never go Pro, period - so they're all fighting the odds)

I know the NCAA is the real minor league and no the Euro league is likely not better than the D league competition wise but there are players that play over seas who are better than many D league players. They play there for financial reasons, mostly. I;d like to see the 1nd rule go away and the D-league could be the answer for this. The NBA likes it because it gives them some protection as they get to see the guys play for a season in the NCAA so why not D-league?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom