Silent G to Pistons! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Silent G to Pistons!

Well done G ! Follow your dream and don't ever give up.

They need guard help big time so he's got s decent shot at playing next season. Great coach to develop under as well.

Have to admit I am not real well versed on the Pistons roster. Who will he have to bump to make the squad or D-League it?

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (KCP) is their current 2 guard. Reggie Jackson runs the point with Steve Blake as his backup. Jodie Meeks plays behind KCP. I expect G to get some run right away.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (KCP) is their current 2 guard. Reggie Jackson runs the point with Steve Blake as his backup. Jodie Meeks plays behind KCP. I expect G to get some run right away.
Blake is a free agent. Plus, he's pretty old.

Have been a Piston fan for close to 30 years so this makes me very happy. SVG likes versatile players who can play a few positions and shoot the 3
Yeah, I think this is a great fit and definitely has SVG's finger prints on it.

Have been a Piston fan for close to 30 years so this makes me very happy. SVG likes versatile players who can play a few positions and shoot the 3
Same here, around 30 years. Last year took my favorite player in the draft and this year G, very happy.

So proud of G. Came such a long way. Talent was always there it seems, and I think he would have eventually found a niche at Puke. But I'm very thankful he didn't! Amazing player, and I think he's going to dig in and show that he belongs in the league. Looked like he was an outside chance on team Nigeria and he busted his butt to prove himself. You might just see the kid run the point on the next level. Don't rule it out!

So proud of G. Came such a long way. Talent was always there it seems, and I think he would have eventually found a niche at Puke. But I'm very thankful he didn't! Amazing player, and I think he's going to dig in and show that he belongs in the league. Looked like he was an outside chance on team Nigeria and he busted his butt to prove himself. You might just see the kid run the point on the next level. Don't rule it out!

I don't think anyone thought he had a chance of getting drafted a year ago, kudos to him for making himself into the player he is now.

I would like to see G build on the trend to take older players. There is nothing wrong with being a finished product when that product offers a lot to the team.

SVG had an interview on Detroit 105.1 here is what he said

Van Gundy also talked about surprise second-round pick Michael Gbinije. Van Gundy admitted there were several point guards on the board who intrigued the Pistons, citing both Kay Felder and Yogi Ferrell. But, Van Gundy said, Gbinije's versatility and size were too good to pass up.

He also confirmed that the Pistons are eyeing Gbinije as a point guard.

"Gbinije is a very long guy who we think can be an NBA point guard with great size. He's got a chance to play for us," Van Gundy said.

Van Gundy was less surprised Gbinije was available but just as excited to select him.

"The only reason in my mind that Michael Gbinije was there at 49 is that he is 24 years old. He was a fifth-year senior. When you look at what he can do, he had a phenomenal year this past year. This is a guy who had been a wing player, a 2 or a 3, his entire career. And then as a senior at Syracuse they made him their point guard and he led them to the Final Four. He can shoot the ball, he can handle, he can pass.

"We thought Gbinije's size and his ability to play more than one position, really he can play all three perimeter positions, that's what put him over the top."

Van Gundy also reiterated that the team will not press their two draft picks into action too early and instead will let them develop, but he's also not afraid to put them on the floor. .

"They don't have to play before they're ready, but, if they're ready, hey, we want to win. If they're the best players on day one next year they'll play."

Van Gundy also said about Gbinije, "I don’t think there’s much doubt that he’ll be on our roster when we open the season."

SVG had an interview on Detroit 105.1 here is what he said

Van Gundy also talked about surprise second-round pick Michael Gbinije. Van Gundy admitted there were several point guards on the board who intrigued the Pistons, citing both Kay Felder and Yogi Ferrell. But, Van Gundy said, Gbinije's versatility and size were too good to pass up.

He also confirmed that the Pistons are eyeing Gbinije as a point guard.

"Gbinije is a very long guy who we think can be an NBA point guard with great size. He's got a chance to play for us," Van Gundy said.

Van Gundy was less surprised Gbinije was available but just as excited to select him.

"The only reason in my mind that Michael Gbinije was there at 49 is that he is 24 years old. He was a fifth-year senior. When you look at what he can do, he had a phenomenal year this past year. This is a guy who had been a wing player, a 2 or a 3, his entire career. And then as a senior at Syracuse they made him their point guard and he led them to the Final Four. He can shoot the ball, he can handle, he can pass.

"We thought Gbinije's size and his ability to play more than one position, really he can play all three perimeter positions, that's what put him over the top."

Van Gundy also reiterated that the team will not press their two draft picks into action too early and instead will let them develop, but he's also not afraid to put them on the floor. .

"They don't have to play before they're ready, but, if they're ready, hey, we want to win. If they're the best players on day one next year they'll play."

Van Gundy also said about Gbinije, "I don’t think there’s much doubt that he’ll be on our roster when we open the season."

Interesting stuff, I guess I saw him more of a two guard at the next level, but he can def play the point.

“Michael can play three positions, we think,” Van Gundy said. “How much point guard can he play and to the question of do we only sign one point guard, that’s something we’ll sort out in Summer League. That will be a good thing for us to look at. Coming out of Summer League, we know he’s a good player but if we think he could be ready to be a point guard and be our third point guard, then we would only go out and sign one. If we think, look, he’s more of a wing, it’s going to take time as a point guard, then we could sign another, a third point guard.”

Pistons aren’t banking on Ellenson, Gbinije for instant help, but they could alter plans for other roster moves | Detroit Pistons

Attended college at SUNY Brockport(where he played for his dad), so he's got some upstate NY ties.

I've always liked the guy, and think he's done a good job with the Pistons.

I know JVG actually graduated from Brockport HS. I am assuming SVG did as well..

It will be interesting to see how G does in the D-League. CJ Fair dominated the D-League and went nowhere. I sure hope G lands a spot on the Piston's roster. The kid is pure class. It would be nice to see a nice guy win for a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom