Silent G | Syracusefan.com

Silent G

People get too hung over age when it comes to the nba draft, omg hes 24, he might only have 10 years ahead of him, instead of 12.

Can you point to the # of 24 year olds that have been drafted the last 10 years?

djcon57 said:
FWIW, I'm NOT saying G can't be a great NBA player. I'm saying there is a valid reason GMs are getting "hung up" on age. They are playing the percentages

But his agent was correct in that teams later in the draft looking for players who can defend and play multiple positions - and who don't want to wait for a 19 year old get acclimated to the NBA? Age is a far smaller issue.

Taj Gibson, is the only one I can find right now

Upon more careful search, I count 8 24 year olds drafted in the last ten drafts and 1 27 year old. After Gibson, Sam Young and Joey Dorsey played the most games. All but Gibson are out of the league.

G is not a finished product, he is an experienced product. He too has plenty of more potential despite his "advanced" age, just like the 1-and-doners that the NBA drools over. G has already realized some of the younger guys' potential, meaning G is more plug and play than some of these other guys. And G will get better too, and have plenty of years to play in the league. This "potential" crap drives me nuts sometimes.

Go G.

Upon more careful search, I count 8 24 year olds drafted in the last ten drafts and 1 27 year old. After Gibson, Sam Young and Joey Dorsey played the most games. All but Gibson are out of the league.

Thanks...good stuff

But his agent was correct in that teams later in the draft looking for players who can defend and play multiple positions - and who don't want to wait for a 19 year old get acclimated to the NBA? Age is a far smaller issue.

All I am responding to is that suggesting that GMs get too hung up on age is not fair. They are playing percentages. The vast majority of 24 year old players that are not yet drafted in the NBA are not in the NBA for a reason.

Gonna start this off saying I want G to succeed because I have no NBA team so I root for players mostly Syracuse and LeBron.

G being older absolutely played a major part in him being better than almost everyone we went up against. Doesn't mean he can't improve and be a solid role player for a contender but it does worsen the odds.

But he's 24, he cannot possibly get any better than he already is. He's a finished product.
(what a crock of crap this narrative is)
It more has to do with how old the player will be after the 1st contract.

In 5 years from now would you rather have a 29 yr old Gninijie or a 23 year old Ben Simmons. I know that's not a perfect example but it basically fits my narrative.

FWIW, I'm NOT saying G can't be a great NBA player. I'm saying there is a valid reason GMs are getting "hung up" on age. They are playing the percentages

Think about it for a minute. The reason there aren't many 24 year olds is more likely because if they show potential at an earlier age, they go into the draft earlier. There just aren't many guys with NBA potential left at 24 and in collegeMike just happens to be a rare one. IMO, it's less a qustion of age as it is talent.

It's kind of like how it's easier to learn a language the younger you are.

All I am responding to is that suggesting that GMs get too hung up on age is not fair. They are playing percentages. The vast majority of 24 year old players that are not yet drafted in the NBA are not in the NBA for a reason.
Most college basketball players usually graduate before reaching the age of 24.

Think about it for a minute. The reason there aren't many 24 year olds is more likely because if they show potential at an earlier age, they go into the draft earlier. There just aren't many guys with NBA potential left at 24 and in collegeMike just happens to be a rare one. IMO, it's less a qustion of age as it is talent.

Yep...I know. That's the point.

It'd be cool to see Mike picked by say the Warriors. I think he would fit their style well and could fill in behind Klay and whoever their 3 will be next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom