Silent G | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Silent G

It'd be cool to see Mike picked by say the Warriors. I think he would fit their style well and could fill in behind Klay and whoever their 3 will be next year.

Actually, I feel like he would fit their style to a T, specifically his ability to guard 1-3 on D, and sometimes 1-4 (if the 4 is a "Jared Dudley/Paul Pierce in decline" sort of stretch 4. Plus, he's a high IQ playmaker, which also fits their style perfectly.

From Mark Stein at 8:12 a.m. today...

Draft Rumble: Hearing Syracuse's Michael Gbinjie may be an 11th-hour riser Thursday night and move into late first/early second round range

I believe Milwaukee is very interested in him with one of their early 2nd round picks. And they have two of them and are likely to trade one, if not both of them, so they could be trying to sneak into the back-end of the first round. He already worked out for them and he was pretty much the sole focus of their recap video.

Draft Rumble: Hearing Syracuse's Michael Gbinjie may be an 11th-hour riser Thursday night and move into late first/early second round range

Man, it would be great to see him slip into the first round, if for no other reason than the guaranteed contract status.

No doubt in my mind Gbinije is going to play in the league and stick. Would love to see him ascend into the first round to validate the improvement he's shown throughout his career.

Pfft, only reason that's the talk is because of the Final Four run. NBA GMs are getting suckered again.:rolleyes:

I think Mike could be a great example to the NBA and other players that staying, working hard and constantly improving throughout college, still pays off and is a worthwhile , lucrative and viable route to the NBA.

Brooklyn doesn't pick until the end of the 2nd round (#55). He must have been given some assurances from teams.

Last edited:
His being 24 is such BS. He is in his prime, and even if he has only 5-10% room for improvement, you know that you are getting a solid player. He has 10 good years ahead, all these teams should be caring about is the first contract, so about 3-4 years. I just don't get the fascination with upside, when the young guys finally develop, they are free agents.

His being 24 is such BS. He is in his prime, and even if he has only 5-10% room for improvement, you know that you are getting a solid player. He has 10 good years ahead, all these teams should be caring about is the first contract, so about 3-4 years. I just don't get the fascination with upside, when the young guys finally develop, they are free agents.

There was a cool article posted on this forum recently about how the NBA views age / the potential for prospects to develop into stars. The cliff notes: younger players have a much higher potential to develop into stars, and guys entering the league at Silent G's age almost never do.

BUT, in the main, that seems irrelevant. Teams aren't looking for stars in the 20s+ and beyond in the NBA draft. I mean, sure--if you can catch lightning in a bottle--but the players being selected there are role players / guys who might develop into starters. A guy like G isn't going to be a "star" in the league, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a good player, maybe even a starter if circumstances break his way. Not saying he's going to be a starter--he's probably a second round pick. But it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Teams that draft him are going to get a versatile athlete who can shoot, drive, and pass. He's a great fit for the modern NBA as a 3&D type.

RF2044 said:
There was a cool article posted on this forum recently about how the NBA views age / the potential for prospects to develop into stars. The cliff notes: younger players have a much higher potential to develop into stars, and guys entering the league at Silent G's age almost never do. BUT, in the main, that seems irrelevant. Teams aren't looking for stars in the 20s+ and beyond in the NBA draft. I mean, sure--if you can catch lightning in a bottle--but the players being selected there are role players / guys who might develop into starters. A guy like G isn't going to be a "star" in the league, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a good player, maybe even a starter if circumstances break his way. Not saying he's going to be a starter--he's probably a second round pick. But it isn't outside the realm of possibility. Teams that draft him are going to get a versatile athlete who can shoot, drive, and pass. He's a great fit for the modern NBA as a 3&D type.

Agree 100%.

You can play the percentages all you want looking for stars. But if you're looking for a particular missing piece to a good team (3 and D guys who can play multiple positions, utility knife guys) age is not a huge detriment.

Interesting to note that these opposite forces are driving Mal and G upward. Mal is a classic upside guy (good on O, tools to grow into a defender, can't rule out stardom due to age, room to getting better) and G is a utility guy for a good team kind of fit.

Cancelled his final workout with the Nets. Must have a guarantee to go somewhere.

Crazy! I was about to suggest GSW, as he just worked out there Monday. Marc Stein reported him as a first round riser, and hes well connected to that team.

It more has to do with how old the player will be after the 1st contract.

In 5 years from now would you rather have a 29 yr old Gninijie or a 23 year old Ben Simmons. I know that's not a perfect example but it basically fits my narrative.

Not trying to be a pain, but this is not only a 'not perfect' example, it's an absolute disaster of one. No one in this thread has even hinted that G should be a lottery pick and no one is questioning that Simmons is pretty clearly a premier talent that a team picking 1 simply could not pass on.

Also, if you're picking G, you're probably ultimately a team that is worried about what he does starting this season as opposed to what he is doing a few years from now. in other words, you're a team looking for a guy to fill a role and those guys need to be able to do it from Day 1.

Not only that, but when the young guys finally develop a lot of times the guys who drafted them are long gone. It is a bit weird that in a business with so little job security, that so many are willing to try to play the long game with their moves.

Not trying to be a pain, but this is not only a 'not perfect' example, it's an absolute disaster of one. No one in this thread has even hinted that G should be a lottery pick and no one is questioning that Simmons is pretty clearly a premier talent that a team picking 1 simply could not pass on.

Also, if you're picking G, you're probably ultimately a team that is worried about what he does starting this season as opposed to what he is doing a few years from now. in other words, you're a team looking for a guy to fill a role and those guys need to be able to do it from Day 1.
First of all calm down Sally, no reason to fly off the handle.

Secondly, like I said it wasn't a good example. I was in no way saying G was a lottery pick in my post, I was just explaining why G's age made him a 2nd round pick.

A better example that I actually thought of later was Malachi. Especially in the fact that Malachi went 22nd. Exactly the range G would have went if he was displaying that talent 3 years ago. If you don't believe check out the draft analysis of G by ESPN "Gbinije is another point forward who would've gone in the first round if he were three years younger. I think he can help a team right away."

First of all calm down Sally, no reason to fly off the handle.

Secondly, like I said it wasn't a good example. I was in no way saying G was a lottery pick in my post, I was just explaining why G's age made him a 2nd round pick.

A better example that I actually thought of later was Malachi. Especially in the fact that Malachi went 22nd. Exactly the range G would have went if he was displaying that talent 3 years ago. If you don't believe check out the draft analysis of G by ESPN "Gbinije is another point forward who would've gone in the first round if he were three years younger. I think he can help a team right away."

I wasn't angry but rather pointing out that comparing G to Simmons makes no sense at all. Now Malachi makes a little more sense, I agree.

My general point was that I don't think a team drafting G should have been all that consumed with his age b/c they are in a spot where they are drafting a rotation piece. If you're hoping to find a player who develops into something other than what he is today, then G isn't your man. I see him as a guy you draft for the initial contract and figure you'll replace or re-sign at a moderate price for a second deal, but ultimately a guy you replace at some point a few years down the road.

If you're drafting a guy like Malachi, I agree, it helps that he's 19 or whatever, b/c he's a guy who shot 37% last year so you need him to realize potential as opposed to walk in Day 1 as a finished product. In that scenario youth, at least in theory, gives you a better timeline and better chance of seeing some version of their potential realized.

What is a separate argument is whether or not the fascination with upside and superstar or all-star potential works out well for NBA teams.

you can take two years off Mike G in terms of developmental time though. He pretty much sat his first year, then transferred and had to wait another year. He is an explosive athlete who can shoot it, handle it, with great backcourt size.

If you ask me, his issues are above the neck as he tends to get down on himself if he isn't playing well at times.

Coach Hop is a nice guy. I just hope he can make the transition to tough guy when he becomes head coach.
Hop is every bit the fiery competitor that his boss is. I think he will do just fine when he becomes the man in charge.

Hop is every bit the fiery competitor that his boss is. I think he will do just fine when he becomes the man in charge.

The way I understand it, coach Hop will be the head coach the 2017-18 season. We shall see pretty soon. So far we do not have any 2017-18 recruits. It kind of worries me a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom