Silent Verbal? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Silent Verbal?

two3zone said:
I don't understand this, of course somebody who pushes the ball and moves faster is going to turn the ball over more. I totally get that turnovers are bad, but on the flip side of that, how many MORE baskets are we going to score by pushing the ball, probably a lot more than we give up by turning the ball over.

Last year we didn't turn the ball over, but we didn't score in transition AT ALL. I think Ennis was a nice steady point guard, but it was ludicrous when he's pulling back on a 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 advantage. What's the point of playing it safe if you're going to pull back and pass it into ISO offense and brick a contested jumper and a possible turnover during an advantage.

I was a fan of Ennis's game at the beginning of the season when he wasn't turning the ball over, but after the first 10 or so games it really started to get old and frustrating.

I agree 100% about Ennis! I never really liked Jason Hart or Tyler as point guards for the way they slowed down the game and wouldn't run.

I look at KJ as a little more in line with our "normal PG's" of the past. Fast, Run and Gun type. Ennis was a slow it down control guard.

We are at our best when we are running - fast.

I look at KJ as a little more in line with our "normal PG's" of the past. Fast, Run and Gun type. Ennis was a slow it down control guard.

We are at our best when we are running - fast.
...and we would have probably gone deeper into the tournament last year if we played run and gun because we just didn't have the shooters to play the half court game in the long run.

...and we would have probably gone deeper into the tournament last year if we played run and gun because we just didn't have the shooters to play the half court game in the long run.

I agree 100%, which is why Cooney's struggles were magnified and why he was such a target for criticism. If he shot the ball with any consistency, we would've faired much better down the stretch last year. Trevor is an enormous key this year so that we can space the floor and keep opponents honest.

it was no secret that Cuse is going to take another player in 2015 class the only secret is who that player is. While I believe it will be Bryant I do not think there is any silent verbal from him or any other player. As far as Cooney is concerned it was really a roster full of no shooters that caused his downfall and his inability to realize that he needed to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop more to make them pay for playing him tight. Also more consistent inside offense will open it up for Cooney and the other shooters.

it was no secret that Cuse is going to take another player in 2015 class the only secret is who that player is. While I believe it will be Bryant I do not think there is any silent verbal from him or any other player. As far as Cooney is concerned it was really a roster full of no shooters that caused his downfall and his inability to realize that he needed to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop more to make them pay for playing him tight. Also more consistent inside offense will open it up for Cooney and the other shooters.
While I know it is not popular opinion, Ive seen derrick jones a few times, unbelievable, I personally hope we can land him, unfortunately Bryant is unknown to me.

comparing apples and oranges with these two guys. Bryant is a center and Jones a wing forward. Jones obviously a superior athlete but Bryant fills a position of need down the road. Jones could be a one and done type and Bryant is likely a multi year college guy. Nice to reunite him with his high school teammate Obokoh. Don't think it came down to who SU wanted the most, Jones seems wide open on his options and SU landing him was probably a long shot.

I expect either Cooney or silent G to become a grad assistant and not return next year. Both of those guys spent 4 year in college at that point and are not going to be pros. I think one of those deals is already done. I think CMac is a two year guy.

comparing apples and oranges with these two guys. Bryant is a center and Jones a wing forward. Jones obviously a superior athlete but Bryant fills a position of need down the road. Jones could be a one and done type and Bryant is likely a multi year college guy. Nice to reunite him with his high school teammate Obokoh. Don't think it came down to who SU wanted the most, Jones seems wide open on his options and SU landing him was probably a long shot.
I would not assume that it is an either or situation. I think the staff is confident that one scholie will almost definitely open up, but the possibility exists that it could be more than one. Let's assume the staff's present thinking is that Bryant is the one coming & McC the one leaving. If Jones does not do an early commitment he could possibly come into play in the spring depending upon how the season shakes out. At that point in time there would be much greater visibility as to somebody else breaking out & leaving early or somebody not getting minutes and transferring or if injuries persist for DC2 having his career end prematurely.

If somehow we get both of these kids then this class is definitely in the mix for greatest all-time Cuse class.

I think the big issue is DC2's health and effectiveness moving forward. I hope not but he may be the most hyped recruit to actually suit up and not really do anything due to the conditioning/defensive woes and now serious injury recovery. Obokoh is still an unknown but I have a good feeling about him. So, insert TBryant perhaps.

Last edited:
I expect either Cooney or silent G to become a grad assistant and not return next year. Both of those guys spent 4 year in college at that point and are not going to be pros. I think one of those deals is already done. I think CMac is a two year guy.
What reason in the world would make either Cooney or G want to give up a year of eligibility?? :noidea:

I don't understand this, of course somebody who pushes the ball and moves faster is going to turn the ball over more. I totally get that turnovers are bad, but on the flip side of that, how many MORE baskets are we going to score by pushing the ball, probably a lot more than we give up by turning the ball over.

Last year we didn't turn the ball over, but we didn't score in transition AT ALL. I think Ennis was a nice steady point guard, but it was ludicrous when he's pulling back on a 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 advantage. What's the point of playing it safe if you're going to pull back and pass it into ISO offense and brick a contested jumper and a possible turnover during an advantage.

I was a fan of Ennis's game at the beginning of the season when he wasn't turning the ball over, but after the first 10 or so games it really started to get old and frustrating.

I don't really disagree with any of this but I'm not sure it's responsive to the point I was making (probably because I didn't make the point clearly). I don't think Ennis was a super-hero last year. But he was, at a minimum, a better-than-average ACC point guard as a freshman. That is rare. It's unlikely Joseph will do that. Hell, there are three incoming freshman PGs in the ACC rated higher than Joseph - it would be an upset if he was even the best or second best freshman PG in the conference. (And yea rankings are imperfect, etc.)

I read a lot about pace of play and turnovers in this thread.
The first say 22ish games of the season I was enamored with Ennis and his incredible ability to limit turnovers but likewise make the right play down the stretch in games and execute the offense to get us very high percentage looks when we really needed them. I also thought that he would increase his pace down the stretch and get us more easy offense in transition and early shot clock situations. That did not happen. Cooney was hounded and stopped hitting, teams played Ennis to drive and focused on CJ. That's pretty much how things devolved into what we saw down the stretch. So now like many I'm ready to accept many more mistakes from this years freshman PG Kaleb Joseph who brings a more attacking, pressing your advantage and running style.

I think the key is the type of turnovers and weather or not as the season goes on we learn from them and become more efficient in that type of offense.

Say 4-6 more turnovers a game yield you 12+ more field goal attempts and 75% of those are high percentage transition type, as long as the turnovers are NOT easy baskets the other way you are probably better off. Again this is a learning process where hopefully the guys are learning what are good risks to take as the season goes along and we start maximizing those opportunities while limiting the bad turn overs.

Another thing to note is that if MikeG is our backup PG this season as expected I think he is more comfortable in a run and gun attack offense as well and it would greatly help him to limit the amount of long shot clock half court sets he has to run. Not just MikeG but our young forwards are going to be better off running much of the time and Christmas is a very good 5 at getting end to end when he is motivated. Guys like BJ, Chris and Tyler, IMO will excel in these situations and be able to play bball instead of thinking about it so much.

Do medical redshirts count towards the scholarship total limit?
I read a lot about pace of play and turnovers in this thread.
The first say 22ish games of the season I was enamored with Ennis and his incredible ability to limit turnovers but likewise make the right play down the stretch in games and execute the offense to get us very high percentage looks when we really needed them. I also thought that he would increase his pace down the stretch and get us more easy offense in transition and early shot clock situations. That did not happen. Cooney was hounded and stopped hitting, teams played Ennis to drive and focused on CJ. That's pretty much how things devolved into what we saw down the stretch. So now like many I'm ready to accept many more mistakes from this years freshman PG Kaleb Joseph who brings a more attacking, pressing your advantage and running style.

I think the key is the type of turnovers and weather or not as the season goes on we learn from them and become more efficient in that type of offense.

Say 4-6 more turnovers a game yield you 12+ more field goal attempts and 75% of those are high percentage transition type, as long as the turnovers are NOT easy baskets the other way you are probably better off. Again this is a learning process where hopefully the guys are learning what are good risks to take as the season goes along and we start maximizing those opportunities while limiting the bad turn overs.

Another thing to note is that if MikeG is our backup PG this season as expected I think he is more comfortable in a run and gun attack offense as well and it would greatly help him to limit the amount of long shot clock half court sets he has to run. Not just MikeG but our young forwards are going to be better off running much of the time and Christmas is a very good 5 at getting end to end when he is motivated. Guys like BJ, Chris and Tyler, IMO will excel in these situations and be able to play bball instead of thinking about it so much.

We have to continue our great defensive efforts and become a better rebounding team to become an efficient running team.

I have to admit that isn't a theory I had considered yet.....

I don't really disagree with any of this but I'm not sure it's responsive to the point I was making (probably because I didn't make the point clearly). I don't think Ennis was a super-hero last year. But he was, at a minimum, a better-than-average ACC point guard as a freshman. That is rare. It's unlikely Joseph will do that. Hell, there are three incoming freshman PGs in the ACC rated higher than Joseph - it would be an upset if he was even the best or second best freshman PG in the conference. (And yea rankings are imperfect, etc.)

Completely logical. Good post. Logic often doesn't bode well here, lol.

C Mac is gone. Maybe Roberson.

Do medical redshirts count towards the scholarship total limit?

We have to continue our great defensive efforts and become a better rebounding team to become an efficient running team.

I believe a medical redshirt does count toward the limit for that season but I'm unsure.

No doubt we have to be good defensively but lately that seems to be a given. The last 3-4 years I notice that I nitpick the defense more than ever and then realize we are pretty good defensively. Rebounding is an issue with the zone but our good running teams did a great job of sending the rebounds they got right out to guard or had forwards that started the charge themselves off the bounce.

I have to admit that isn't a theory I had considered yet...
I had considered a similar scenario...but had one or the other of them graduating and taking their basketball skills overseas.

Gbinije's the truth he will lead the free people

Because you are sane.
Wait, are you saying that a college basketball player would rather throw away his last year ever of college eligibility just to get a jump start on his coaching career? Noooo wayyy! Anyways, cooney and Gbinijie will make a killing of cash over seas.

From his AAU coach, doesn't seem like TB is a given.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/thomas-bryant-to-narrow-list-plan-visits-after-usa-basketball/

Maybe nothing etched in stone after all or someone else in mind? Or maybe team TB is playing a little keep it a guessing game still? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to know. ;)
National_Enquirer_(cover).jpg

I believe a medical redshirt does count toward the limit for that season but I'm unsure.

No doubt we have to be good defensively but lately that seems to be a given. The last 3-4 years I notice that I nitpick the defense more than ever and then realize we are pretty good defensively. Rebounding is an issue with the zone but our good running teams did a great job of sending the rebounds they got right out to guard or had forwards that started the charge themselves off the bounce.
everyone talks about lack of shooting last year but I think you can also look at the defense it was not nearly as good as it was the last few years