Site is acting weird tonight | Syracusefan.com

Site is acting weird tonight

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Takes forever to post. Also Tom, the admin site gives a bunch of error messages.

Seconded. Curious what the abuse was? Hate that a few instances of abuse removes the ability to use them for everyone.

If you want to post something for people to watch, post a link. Posting something people HAVE to see (an animated GIF)... Well that is something that has been abused.

Bottom line: You, and everyone else, still have the ability to post a link. Let those reading your post decide if they want to see your GIF.

Personally, you won't find anyone more than me, who likes to see track athletes and cheerleaders jiggle around. But I am mindful of the fact that I am often in the minority.

Last edited:
If you want to post something for people to watch, post a link. Posting something people HAVE to see (an animated GIF)... Well that is something that has been abused.

Bottom line: You, and everyone else, still have the ability to post a link. Let those reading your post decide if they want to see your GIF.

Personally, you won't find anyone more than me, who likes to see track athletes and cheerleaders jiggle around. But I am mindful of the fact that I am often in the minority.
I haven't seen any of those type of posts at least in a while. Most gifs I've seen posted are either gifs of syracuse plays (the top post today and of all time on the popular collegebasketball subreddit is a gif of Tyler Ennis's game winning shot) or reaction gifs.
We are losing great content with this ban on gifs. For example the top comment on the gif I just mentioned is a great comparision between JB's reaction(keep in mind most users use RES which allows users to view gifs without clicking a link) after the nation campionship and his reaction after the pitt win.

I don't think it would be difficult to remove offtopic gifs or gifs that flaunt women. Delete them and issue warnings to individual posters in case they didn't know that that content shouldn't be posted.. I don't like that the actions of the few are hurting the rest of us. And honestly most people won't click a link for a picture or a gif. If you're going to ban gifs, then you might as well ban pictures because those are actually more likely to be off topic than a gif will be.

Last edited:

I understand that part of it, but I have no intention of posting jiggly pics or gifs on this site, there are plenty of other places to get that stuff. ;)

Like Solitude says above, there are Syracuse related gifs that I do see online that I will post occasionally when I see them. However last night I tried to share one and couldn't even link it because the site filters out gif in links (probably with the '.' in front of it), so I was a little frustrated with that.

I don't like having site-wide bans on things if only a couple of folks are abusing the privilege. Delete the offending posts and warn those who can't see the line. But it's your site, and I do appreciate the work put in.

GIF's are back. And for the record, it was me who blocked them. The block was in place for months without comment. When I upgraded the script some of the settings reverted to their default.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom