Slight annoyance - end of game | Syracusefan.com

Slight annoyance - end of game

pearl31

in cahoots
Sure we got sloppy and FSU had every right to keep playing hard, but when we got the ball with the shot clock off and were clearly just going to dribble it out, Hamilton still had his guys trapping and going for steals.
I don't know, a little questionable to me

Does one of the metrics (RPI?) take margin of victory/loss into account? I thought it was lame too, but he might have been doing it to help FSU's resume.

I have no problem with what they did. The clock is still running. He's trying to generate some pride.

If we score as a result of their pressure, then they need to accept that.

I have no problem with what they did. The clock is still running. He's trying to generate some pride.

If we score as a result of their pressure, then they need to accept that.
See, I agree with that - up until it's the last possession with the shot clock off and we're *clearly* just trying to run the clock out

the problem was they KNEW we werent even going to look at the basket. We could have had dunk every time we wanted but we were too nice. If they are going to press, I say we dunk on them again and again and again till they stop. Im not a big fan of unilateral disarmament. we should have won that game by 30

Sure we got sloppy and FSU had every right to keep playing hard, but when we got the ball with the shot clock off and were clearly just going to dribble it out, Hamilton still had his guys trapping and going for steals.
the end of the game was a joke, the refs basically quit with like 4 minutes left and let FSU do what they wanted. it was a clear "make the game closer" ploy right up to the fsu player making a bucket with 2 seconds left or whatever. just take your ass-whip, enjoy the snow, and get back on your plane tools.

Loser coach, with no other tools in his repertoire.

If they're going to have 4 guys chasing the ball and jumping the lateral passes we were making to run out the clock, then we need to advantage and take the easy dunks. If that's how they want it, that's how they want it. They won't let us run out the clock...so score!

He should have put the walkons in with about a minute and a half left.

I hope you mean Hamilton. Boeheim can't put his in when FSU's starters are out there pressing and trapping, but that didn't stop some "fans" around me(who hadn't yelled all game long) from yelling for Boeheim to "EMPTY THE BENCH! PUT THE WALKONS IN!!" Ridiculous.

He should have put the walkons in with about a minute and a half left.
I don't understand why coaches are weird about that. But yeah, once it hit the 3 minute mark I was ready to see some walkons.

I hope you mean Hamilton. Boeheim can't put his in when FSU's starters are out there pressing and trapping, but that didn't stop some "fans" around me(who hadn't yelled all game long) from yelling for Boeheim to "EMPTY THE BENCH! PUT THE WALKONS IN!!" Ridiculous.

Yes, I mean Hamilton. Boeheim's at the mercy of the opposing coach in that situation. Jim probably wanted to put the walkons in around the time he subbed Chino in.

Does one of the metrics (RPI?) take margin of victory/loss into account? I thought it was lame too, but he might have been doing it to help FSU's resume.
No. Margin of victory is not considered at all in RPI.

Yes, I mean Hamilton. Boeheim's at the mercy of the opposing coach in that situation. Jim probably wanted to put the walkons in around the time he subbed Chino in.

Yeah, exactly. I tried telling these guys that, but they were steadfast in their determination to yell stupid suggestions to the hall of fame coach at the end of perhaps our best performance of the year. Morons are gonna be morons.

Speaking of morons, I have no idea what Hamilton's motivation at that point was. He's been around too long for that.

If they're going to have 4 guys chasing the ball and jumping the lateral passes we were making to run out the clock, then we need to advantage and take the easy dunks. If that's how they want it, that's how they want it. They won't let us run out the clock...so score!

I was never a fan of the lateral pass between guards at the top when one is doubled. If you're going to make that pass, the guard needs to come to the ball and you bounce it around the trap. Those over the top passes are just asking to be stolen. In a situation like that I'd rather see the skip pass to the weak side corner...especially if the guard making the pass is 6'4.

My take...if a team is down with no chance of coming back to make it interesting and that team continues to play tough defense and/or press...then the winning team has every right to continue to play offense and try to score...I understand the logic that you want your players to play hard until the last second, but I bet if an FSU player had got injured as result, their fans would not be happy...I know our fans and coaches would have been pissed if an Orange player had got hurt as result of their continued play of hard defense when there really was no hope of coming back...

Yep very annoying. Actually glad Cooney took a shot at the end.
I was too but it looked like JB was pissed at someone just before he went to shake hands wonder if it was Cooney for shooting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom