Slightly OT: Why does SU keep scheduling important meetings... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Slightly OT: Why does SU keep scheduling important meetings...

What the heck does drawing a line mean?

Syracuse is a secular university, so it means striking a reasonable balance between recognizing certain important religious holidays, but not necessarily all of them.

Every company I worked for we had Good Friday off. My last firm after a number of years eliminated many of those "committed" holidays but increased the floaters usable any time to cover those days. However on Good Friday, most office departments were closed or had low activity with the majority of employees taking a "floater". Nothing important was scheduled on those low attendance days unless it was an emergency.

I am a Greek Orthodox Christian. My church has services every night during Holy Week so I can say Orthodox Christianity is like the Catholic church during Holy Week. I don't know about denomination of Christianity during Easter time. Orthodox and Catholic church have very similar services but there are differences.
Thanks for the response and appreciate that you explained a little more. I'm genuinely curious about this.

The local Baptist & Methodist churches (I'm not Baptist nor Methodist) have the hours for their Good Friday Service on billboards. I know that my own parish does as do Episcopalians. Wikipedia says Good Friday is a Christian religious holiday. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

Syracuse is a secular university, so it means striking a reasonable balance between recognizing certain important religious holidays, but not necessarily all of them.

Actually Syracuse is a Methodist University, the Methodist church sponsors scholarships to the university. So technically Syracuse U is Notre Dame light 50% of the guilt.

If my firm could get away with taking away Christmas, they would. The only religion they worship is the almighty profit of $$$.

Actually Syracuse is a Methodist University, the Methodist church sponsors scholarships to the university. So technically Syracuse U is Notre Dame light 50% of the guilt.

I know Wikipedia isn't the end all be all of information, but it says "Since 1920, the university has identified itself as nonsectarian, although it maintains a relationship with The United Methodist Church."

Just FYI: Holy Thursday (aka Maundy Thursday) is an important day to the Christian churches that regard Holy Communion as a sacrament. It's the day of Christ's Last Supper and the day on which He was betrayed by Judas Iscariot. Yes, it's a big day for Christians, but not one that we expect a work holiday for. Simply being free to worship in the evening is all that's necessary.
Good Friday - that used to be a day that most of the secular world respected, since Christians try to get to church for afternoon worship. Every company I worked for gave that day off. Now I have to work it every year - as a Lutheran pastor.

Why does SU keep scheduling important meetings on Holy Thursday and Good Friday?

A few years ago, Nancy Cantor scheduled an important meting of the Board of Trustees on Good Friday (in Washington, DC, of all inconvenient places for most trustees). When I told her that neither I nor she would ever schedule such a meeting on Rosh Hashanah, she blamed a secretary in her office for the scheduling.

Now, the semi-annual meeting of the Newhouse Board is scheduled for Holy Thursday. I would like to attend the meeting. But guess what? I have commitments at my church that day.

SU keeps adding Islamic (and other) religious holidays to its calendar, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, it keeps ignoring Christian holidays.

I am not some crazy "Church Lady." However, the last time I looked, Christianity was still the predominant religion in the USA (and the one that founded SU).

End of rant.
Christianity is not recognized in the land of Political Correctness. Fight the good fight Joyce.

CTO, but doesn't the University have to ultimately draw the line somewhere between "universally recognized important holidays" like Christmas, Easter, etc. and "marginally recognized ones" like Holy Thursday, Ash Wednesday, etc.?

I agree that scheduling something on Good Friday is probably a bad idea, but I didn't even know that Holy Thursday was a thing until right now.
Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter are THE MOST IMPORTANT holy days in the Christian calendar. Ranking Christmas ahead of those is a bit naive.

Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter are THE MOST IMPORTANT holy days in the Christian calendar. Ranking Christmas ahead of those is a bit naive.

Maybe the Christian church should convince its membership of that.

Holy Thursday?

Good Friday?

Work holidays? God, I would love that.

I've worked for-profit, non-profit, and everything in between - I've never had either of those days off. Do schools even give you those days off? They'll give you a holiday for just about anything.

I think it's awesome if people are considerate about these things, but not bothered at all if they aren't. It's your religion - do what you want - take vacation. If I want to have a meeting on Holy Thursday, I'll do it up. However, if enough people can't make it because they're on vacation - I'll reschedule. If not, enjoy whatever it is you're doing instead. You can't cater to everyone. That's how everything else works - should be the same for random religious holidays.

Excellent rant cto!

this is america, its a economocracy not a democracy.

Last edited:
Why does SU keep scheduling important meetings on Holy Thursday and Good Friday?

A few years ago, Nancy Cantor scheduled an important meting of the Board of Trustees on Good Friday (in Washington, DC, of all inconvenient places for most trustees). When I told her that neither I nor she would ever schedule such a meeting on Rosh Hashanah, she blamed a secretary in her office for the scheduling.

Now, the semi-annual meeting of the Newhouse Board is scheduled for Holy Thursday. I would like to attend the meeting. But guess what? I have commitments at my church that day.

SU keeps adding Islamic (and other) religious holidays to its calendar, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, it keeps ignoring Christian holidays.

I am not some crazy "Church Lady." However, the last time I looked, Christianity was still the predominant religion in the USA (and the one that founded SU).

End of rant.

Falk School Board meeting is next Tuesday. WE care! ;)