Slive outlines plan for subdivision | Syracusefan.com

Slive outlines plan for subdivision

• ending the cold war against agents and advisers so that players testing the professional waters can receive better information...yeah ,right, what a freaking joke. agents are in Slive's pockets on this

• giving student-athletes a role and a vote in NCAA governance that affects them. Clowns like Napier will really look out for the schools and the athletes that are not high profile enough to be included in the 1%

Giving student-athletes a vote makes sure the non-revenue sports keep a say since they make up the majority of D1 athletes. It's time that they are heard.

Agents (their campus runners) are already in the pockets of top athletes and their families as it is, so this brings it out in the open. How many athletes have agents within a week of leaving school/finishing eligibility?

Nice to see Silve recognize that the 20-hr rule is a joke and that athletes spend a lot more time on their sports year-round.

This is a big step towards admitting that the current system is full of hypocrisy and it makes Emmert's recent press tour look even sillier.

Wait, does anyone think that this has ANYTHING to do with the welfare of student athletes?

If so, please PM me about a wonderful land ownership opportunity in Florida I'd like to talk to you about.

Giving student-athletes a vote makes sure the non-revenue sports keep a say since they make up the majority of D1 athletes. It's time that they are heard.
I didn't see a mention that this representation would be for all student-athletes. I doubt that Slive gives a rat about anything other than football and men's basketball.

Also from the article:

"more and better assistance for academically at-risk student-athletes"

Translation: we in the SEC have figured out how to let kids through without any real measure of learning or achievement, at no cost to us. I want to rope the rest of you into spending more to try to help kids pass honest classes. What a bunch of ultramaroons you all are.

Why all the negativity? When I read the article I don't see representation for only football and basketball, so why assume that's all who would? It's clear that even if they wanted, the P5 couldn't neglect women's sports.

I wish people would realize that nearly every D1 institution admits student-athletes who are not at the level of the rest of their incoming class. Most of these same institutions fail to provide the staffing/support to help these students, which is how you end up with clustering in majors, and other academic issues. Right now there is no guideline/criteria to establish minimum support numbers and if Silve is talking about other ways to help in this area (5 years of eligibility, minimum staffing requirements, etc) it could address a problem area.

From my experience working with people, who worked at SU with athletes, the majority of the SEC schools had double the academic support staff, so it actually was a bigger financial commitment from those schools to provide assistance to at-risk athletes.

javadoc said:
I didn't see a mention that this representation would be for all student-athletes. I doubt that Slive gives a rat about anything other than football and men's basketball.

Also from the article:

"more and better assistance for academically at-risk student-athletes"

Translation: we in the SEC have figured out how to let kids through without any real measure of learning or achievement, at no cost to us. I want to rope the rest of you into spending more to try to help kids pass honest classes. What a bunch of ultramaroons you all are.

Regardless of his motivation, why is this a bad thing? Helping the academically marginal kids that are admitted due to sports is a good thing and actually helps to serve the athlete.

Slive likely speaks for each of the five big conference commissioners. These reforms would greatly help the student athlete and enhance their experience. Don't see how anyone can reasonably oppose any of these reforms.

NKR1978 said:
Slive likely speaks for each of the five big conference commissioners. These reforms would greatly help the student athlete and enhance their experience. Don't see how anyone can reasonably oppose any of these reforms.

I'm not "opposing" it, I just think y'all are naive if you think a P5 subdivision is anything more than a way for those conferences to wring every last dime of revenue from the system. If these guys sincerely gave a rip about student athletes then there wouldn't be a P5...sending volleyball players 1,000 miles away on a random Wednesday to play a conference game isn't exactly student athlete friendly.

You're absolutely right Scooch- this is about maximizing revenue. However, the P5 could continue to do "business as usual" as the NCAA seems to be content to do right now.

It won't hurt those volleyball players to have a voice in terms of travel, practice, and receiving more academic support. It's not the best thing, but it is a big step in the right direction. Right now no one is helping those students, and with coaches being paid more and hired/fired for winning and nothing else, these other sports are getting royally screwed over in the process. It's good to hear an admin admit that the 20-hr rule is a joke.

Perhaps with more revenue and greater control, the P5 can make it a priority to provide the appropriate support for all student-athletes. This could be adjusting rules so that all athletes could be guaranteed summer school in order to lighten course load during season, or have their scholarships guaranteed for 5 years of graduation. It would be great if everyone on this board could have a conversation with a scholarship student-athlete (from any sport) to find out just what their daily lives look like.

And yet FSU claims to have lost 500K playing in the championship game.

Why all the negativity?

From my experience working with people, who worked at SU with athletes, the majority of the SEC schools had double the academic support staff, so it actually was a bigger financial commitment from those schools to provide assistance to at-risk athletes.

First off I think most are not being negative, but looking at their past history of how they put football on the pedestal first as some people from those parts want to pay football players huge bucks then comes others who say basketball players should be paid the most.

And if they are similar to UNC problems all those extra staff would be doing the course work for the players while the players party all night and lift during the day. I am sure some of the players really care about their educations against the advice of coaching staffs. This does happen at S.U...

And yet FSU claims to have lost 500K playing in the championship game.

how so... know I read the other day that Auburn spent $3.13 million as it was reported.

Maybe the athletic dept. is using shady accounting so the football team doesn't have to share revenue with the lower sports teams

how so... know I read the other day that Auburn spent $3.13 million as it was reported.

Maybe the athletic dept. is using shady accounting so the football team doesn't have to share revenue with the lower sports teams

Love to have FSU Lou chime in on this one. I know that FSU didn't sell their share of tickets for the game which cost them quite a bit. Granted...a lot of people probably went the stub hub route but still that is money that the school lost out on.

You're absolutely right Scooch- this is about maximizing revenue. However, the P5 could continue to do "business as usual" as the NCAA seems to be content to do right now.

It won't hurt those volleyball players to have a voice in terms of travel, practice, and receiving more academic support. It's not the best thing, but it is a big step in the right direction. Right now no one is helping those students, and with coaches being paid more and hired/fired for winning and nothing else, these other sports are getting royally screwed over in the process. It's good to hear an admin admit that the 20-hr rule is a joke.

Perhaps with more revenue and greater control, the P5 can make it a priority to provide the appropriate support for all student-athletes. This could be adjusting rules so that all athletes could be guaranteed summer school in order to lighten course load during season, or have their scholarships guaranteed for 5 years of graduation. It would be great if everyone on this board could have a conversation with a scholarship student-athlete (from any sport) to find out just what their daily lives look like.

Addressing the bolded...

-Business as usual is bad for the P5. They want more autonomy and rules that favor their position in the landscape. The NCAA doesn't want business as usual either, they're trying to protect their relevance and influence.

-The "voice" will be a token gesture. There is no way administrators are going to willingly give away a shred of power. None.

College athletics is one of the most cynical endeavors going. These folks will not do a single thing that ultimately doesn't benefit them in some way.

I have to wonder if this is the first step for the Power 5 to leave the NCAA for everything, not just football. The NCAA's money for championships in all sports at all levels comes from the bball contract w/CBS. The Power 5 has to believe they'd get similar money for just them if they separated. Fox would pay a fortune to get content like that for FS1/2/.../10,000.

I have to wonder if this is the first step for the Power 5 to leave the NCAA for everything, not just football. The NCAA's money for championships in all sports at all levels comes from the bball contract w/CBS. The Power 5 has to believe they'd get similar money for just them if they separated. Fox would pay a fortune to get content like that for FS1/2/.../10,000.

Would that null and void current contracts with conferences for ESPN? It's not the NCAA contract with them, it is the conferences or are you just talking about CBS/Hoops?

Would that null and void current contracts with conferences for ESPN? It's not the NCAA contract with them, it is the conferences or are you just talking about CBS/Hoops?

Just for the hoops championship and probably the one-off appearances that teams have on CBS during the regular season. It couldn't affect any other contracts. The SEC is the only conference with any sort of football contract with the over-the-air part of CBS, and CBS also has Army-Navy.

The NCAA provides valuable regulatory cover for the P5. I imagine they'd love to break away, but I also imagine they'd prefer to not be tied up in Congressional inquiries and lawsuits for the next 30 years.

I'm not "opposing" it, I just think y'all are naive if you think a P5 subdivision is anything more than a way for those conferences to wring every last dime of revenue from the system. If these guys sincerely gave a rip about student athletes then there wouldn't be a P5...sending volleyball players 1,000 miles away on a random Wednesday to play a conference game isn't exactly student athlete friendly.

The big news here was buried near the bottom of the article. The NCAA appears to be ready to create a separate sub-division for the Power 5 conferences in August. That will change everything between the haves and the have nots.

I think what the NCAA is doing is a defensive measure to keep the P5 from breaking away - give them own sub-division "I-Super A', and let them tweak their own rules, provide additional benefits to the players, which in turn will make it easier for them to recruit all of the best. If AAC, Big East, etc. cannot provide the same financial package to a recruit that a P5 member can, then it becomes even more concentration of talent among the elite.

I think what the NCAA is doing is a defensive measure to keep the P5 from breaking away - give them own sub-division "I-Super A', and let them tweak their own rules, provide additional benefits to the players, which in turn will make it easier for them to recruit all of the best. If AAC, Big East, etc. cannot provide the same financial package to a recruit that a P5 member can, then it becomes even more concentration of talent among the elite.

It will be interesting to see what Notre Dame's status will be if the P5 have a break away division. Does hybrid membership cut it or do they have to join fully to participate?

The big news here was buried near the bottom of the article. The NCAA appears to be ready to create a separate sub-division for the Power 5 conferences in August. That will change everything between the haves and the have nots.

Yea, I was surprised to read that. Seemed like the whole article was pie-in-the-sky thinking...then BAM. It's going to be a reality in August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom